• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does Fuel Pump Only Run When Needed?

Urantian

I discovered that the fuel pump on my M35A2 was not running. There was 24v on the plug which connects over the pump. However, the pin inside the receptacle had no continuity with the fuse inside. There was evidence of electrical issues inside the housing, and the in-line fuse had been replaced with a small metal bar. I found that if I connected the wire from the pump directly to the plug, the pump worked. After letting it run for a minute, the truck started right up, much more easily than usual. However, after shutting down, I found that the pump was not running. Does the pump have a pressure sensor, so it only runs when needed?

Thank you.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally the in tank pump runs all the time that the main power switch is on. Not needed to run the engine - but starts much easier with it running.

Urantian

Thank you. When you say "normally", does that mean it might be off sometimes? I'm not sure whether it died after a short while, or it's not needed. I understand the pump is only needed for starting.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will only be off if the main power switch is turned OFF or you have an electrical connection problem. Otherwise it will run all the time. Doesn't hurt anything to have it running - just shortens the life of the pump by some amount.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks