• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does this look good GP Relay

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, why do you question this?

SSG ALBANESE

My glow plugs haven't worked for years. Normally use the truck for camping and such so I'd pop the hood and cross the relay, do the count and truck would start. New glow plugs, card from CUCV electric. Last time I would see the light come on was while driving and hitting bumps in the road but even when the light would work the GPs would not glow... So I figured I have a wiring issue.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked your temp sensor?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try jumping the blue wire to ground with the key on.

If the relay thunks, and your glow plugs are not working(getting 24-12 volts) then the relay is bad(bad contacts).

If it does not thunk, well that's just a sound, but it might lead to the card/system is not functioning.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only blue wire attached to the GP relay.

In your pictures, it is the upper small post.

SSG ALBANESE

When I touch direct from blue wired upper side post to top post I get the thud as normal (that's how I have been warming my plugs). But blue wire post to anywhere else I don't get any sound.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I touch direct from blue wired upper side post to top post I get the thud as normal (that's how I have been warming my plugs). But blue wire post to anywhere else I don't get any sound.
I'm confused what you said you did.

You jumped the blue wire to the top post? Are you saying you jumped it to the large red wire? That is not what you do.

Do you have a digital multi meter, and know how to use it?

Just to confirm, the relay is/needs to be a 12 volt relay. With isolated ground.

The st85 is a good replacement choice.

Last edited:

SSG ALBANESE

Every morning I open the hood. Ignition off, use a pair of plyers from top post to next post down (with blue wire), I hear the solenoid click and the glow plugs warm up. I count out depending on the outside temp, 15-20 seconds normally. Truck starts every time.

as for the test you asked me to do I pulled the blue wire and tried to ground it to multiple points and no click. Then I attached a jumper to the post and grounded it to other places and again no sound.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok.

So, you have been feeding the relay 24 volts the way you always have done it.

Tonight I wanted you to jump between the stud with the blue wire, to ground(no need to remove any wires to do this).

Anyway, you indeed do have the wrong relay so that needs to be changed.

Then we can see what happens.

I'm concerned that you may have damaged the gp card when jumping 24v to the blue wire. When the control card functions, it switches the blue wire to supply ground, to activate the relay. So, if your controller card was ever working, you supplied 24v to the ground(output) of the card. If you never had the key on when doing this, you might be ok.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, time to use a meter.

Do you have one?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, have a look at your controller card.

Pull it out an look for anything that looks wrong, like an obvious burned area.

Put it back in if it looks good.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And for now, until you fix it, to start it, simply use a jumper wire from the stud with the blue wire, and jump to ground. That should get the relay to function, with the key on.

No need to remove wires to do this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks