• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doesn't DOT 5 normally come in deuces?

chemicaljohn

I just read a post from a couple years ago how to test what kind of brake fluid you have and that DOT 5 is not always purple or can change color from use and age. I'm going to test mine because I need to bleed the brakes... my question is have any of you seen DOT 5 in a color other than purple whether it's changed from age or came like that new? What's in mine now looks like the color of 3 or 4.

Seth_O

DOT 5 changes from purple to yellow/amber when exposed to oxygen. I bled my brakes putting in all new DOT 5, and then a few weeks later did a bob job and had to rebleed. Over the couple of weeks all my DOT 5 turned from purple to yellow/amber - almost the exact same color as DOT 3.

Barrman

I have 4 gallons of BFS surplus that was sealed in the cans and kind of a neon yellow or golden color. Yes, there are other colors for it besides purple.

chemicaljohn

Yeah, mines a golden color. I'm suprised it can change color that fast. 5 is what I have. Tried testing some with water and it doesn't mix. Just for the heck of it, put some 3 I had in the garage with water and it mixed up, couldn't tell the two woere in there together. Then 3 and 5.... definitely can tell... just wanted to see. I just had to bleed the front right, but soon well flush everything, got some nice garbage out with it.