• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doesn't DOT 5 normally come in deuces?

chemicaljohn

I just read a post from a couple years ago how to test what kind of brake fluid you have and that DOT 5 is not always purple or can change color from use and age. I'm going to test mine because I need to bleed the brakes... my question is have any of you seen DOT 5 in a color other than purple whether it's changed from age or came like that new? What's in mine now looks like the color of 3 or 4.

Seth_O

DOT 5 changes from purple to yellow/amber when exposed to oxygen. I bled my brakes putting in all new DOT 5, and then a few weeks later did a bob job and had to rebleed. Over the couple of weeks all my DOT 5 turned from purple to yellow/amber - almost the exact same color as DOT 3.

Barrman

I have 4 gallons of BFS surplus that was sealed in the cans and kind of a neon yellow or golden color. Yes, there are other colors for it besides purple.

chemicaljohn

Yeah, mines a golden color. I'm suprised it can change color that fast. 5 is what I have. Tried testing some with water and it doesn't mix. Just for the heck of it, put some 3 I had in the garage with water and it mixed up, couldn't tell the two woere in there together. Then 3 and 5.... definitely can tell... just wanted to see. I just had to bleed the front right, but soon well flush everything, got some nice garbage out with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks