• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Mod Failure

M1008driver

"What one man can do another man can do."
I would review the mod instructions, get another part and do it again before you have to post a my relay fried my starter thread. Only two things could have gone wrong, a bad part or a bad installation.

I agree i had a near miss i tried to use the original relay and that was a time bomb waiting to happen if u dont change it when i did mine i bought my relay from napa Hooked it up and really havent had a problem starts right up i drive my m1008 everyday :]Doghead realy is a must do i bought another one to do my other m1008 when i get ready to start workin on it :]its nothing but a lawn mower relay u can get it at any parts store i bought one from oreillys for less than napa :] good luck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tractor supply has them also.

One of the reasons if chose that particular relay is, it's readily available everywhere in the USA, and inexpensive.

I prefer not to call it a lawn mower relay(it is used in hundreds of thousands of riding mowers), it is simply a relay. It's used in tractor trailers, snow plows, and all kinds of other vehicles and industrial equipment. But, you can find it in the mower section of most stores.

The most important reason it was chosen is, it's internal design. By design, it will not fail as the original AC40 relay can and does.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I want to know is that an swbradley1 truck door mod on your door DH?

ssdvc

Shipmates, I meant no disrespect with regards to this mod and admit that I probably could have chosen different words for the title. It wasn't meant to mislead anyone. After tons of reading on this site, one of the must do's for any CUCV is the Doghead Mod..........I am 100% on board with that.

As far as my install went, the connections were good, and after the third time of changing out connections, re-connecting the relay to the correct wires and trying to start it again, and then jury rigging the old relay and having joy after turning the key, I came to the conclusion that it was most likely a FUBAR relay. I was just checking to see if I had a senior moment and missed something.

I have already returned the relay to NAPA and I am picking up the new one tomorrow. I look forward to a successful conversion (Murphy willing !!!).

ssdvc

Don't neglect to disconnect your battery during the mod...and I hope it works this time.
Yeah, I always disconnect all of them on these trucks. You just can't remove the negative cable and be done with it. If you don't remove all the connections, you'll get a nasty little surprise !

ssdvc

OK, finally got around to installing a new relay today. The holidays put me behind. Well, the new relay worked, as it should have. The cause WAS a bad relay from NAPA and it was replaced free of charge.

The MOD works great. The only difference is that I can actually hear the relay actuate when I turn the key. I feel better now that the MOD was accomplished and it is one more step towards reliability. I always had faith in the MOD itself, just not in my electrical abilities. That said, with the instructions and complete disconnect of ALL FOUR battery terminals, it is a fairly simple MOD.

Thank you DOGHEAD ! :beer:

lindyp38

MINE WORKED AND CONTINUES TO WORK.....THANKS DOGHEAD........I APPRECIATE EVERYONES HELP HERE........U HAVE MADE MY CUCV M1008 OWNERSHIP A PRIVELEGE AND A REAL ADVENTURE....****'S HEROES IS A REAL LIVE RUNNING CLASSROOM.....MY STUDENTS ENJOY THIS TRUCK AS MUCH AS I DO.......:beer:

DonK

I would say that it you checked the wiring to ne in the right locations any you checked the round wire terminals and both of these were OK,, Then it has to be the new relay that is bad.

The part, whether you get it from NAPA, or any other parts place, thay are all the same and made overseas.

I say it is the relay. Just because it is new doesn't mean a thing. Thats why I always check thermostats in boiling water before I put them in.
AMEN....Southern Brother...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks