• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

doghead starter relay modifcation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Performed the "Doghead" conversion this afternoon. It may have been the easiest electrical project I've done on the truck so far. Am I crazy or am I hearing the relay "click" during start up? :???:

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve have become accustomed to the sound of the glow plug relay cycling. The click I heard was nowhere near as loud and only occurred as I turned the key. My wife said she heard a click as well. I don't doubt her. It's my firm belief that she can hear a cricket walking on carpet in the neighbor’s house.

Barrman

Put your hand on the relay and start the truck. You will hear and feel the click as the starter is activated. Since it can be heard, that is a great troubleshooting help if the starter ever fails to turn on. If you get the click and no starter, the problem isn't on the 12V side of the start circuit.

Im impressed after spending $160 on a new 24 volt gear reduction starter im gonna do this also Doghead my friend u are a genius :not worthy::beer: looks like it should be an easy task had to order the relay they want have it till tues but its all good another project for next weekend 8)

DrJekl

I installed the relay this past weekend. Bought the original from NAPA then found the same relay at O'Reily's for $8 in their lawn mower section by accident. Yesterday the starter sounded kind of funny and would not disengage. It turns out the head of the starter broke off and would not let it do so.

Very easy modification. I have a couple more trucks to modify and I'll be set.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
February 22nd, 2010.

Might I suggest the use of Liquid Electrical Tape instead of wrapping the resultant mod in regular electrical tape? The item should be available at Home Depot, Lowe's or your local electrican's supply shop, and might make a neater and more reliable job as it should be rated for 600V. Just a suggestion. And thanks again, Doghead, I don't even own a CUCV and I am wondering if M35A2's are also liable to this malfunction, or is it primarily a GM thing?:roll:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Good point, and haven't done this yet to my rig but I always use Liquid tape or rubber cement or something more permanent than elec-tape. That stuff dries out and unravels and now whatta' ya' got? Possible short!

Another point I ponder; wouldn't it be prudent to solder your wiring to the spade connectors (or loop)? Any reason not to solder connectors Doghead?

Ert

Isn't that a 12V relay. I just got a motor out of a m1008 with most of the wiring harness. It has the same relay that the civilian truck's glowplugs use. Is this relay ok for the starting system?

dependable

Try Cole Hersee Co pt #24612. supposed to be the best and USA made. That is what I have been using, ordered from my local independent auto parts store. Probably you can find internet as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, a Cole Hersee 24712-S7 is the equivalent of the relay I posted in the begining. 1/4" studs and 200 amp and sealed, less than $20.

Last edited:

lindyp38

when i turn my key to start...i hear no clicking........and of course the truck is not starting on its own....

ill be picking up a glow plug relay ..and will do the starter relay upgrade....

Status
Not open for further replies.