• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dolly Convertor Saga Continues completed haul

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have been welding since I was 12 years old, my first Jeep, and I know the deal on paint fumes that is why I weld outdoors almost exclusively. I also drink milk before and after welding just in case there was any galvanizing in the mix. When we painted the First Cav equipment in 1990 the whole town of Killeen smelled like CARC for days since we painted almost 6,000 vehicles and equipment

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is an old habit of welders from all over the world in my travel and work that says if you are ever welding any galvanized metal make sure you drink milk before and after because it is supposed to aid in binding any excess Cadmium or Zinc in metal form that you may have enhailed.

Zinc is not the evil twin of Cadmium which exists in small quantities in almost all galvanized coatings. It is a deadly metal that causes what the Japanize call Iti Iti ( it hurts it hurts) a large number of Japanize fishermen got this sickness from eating seafish harvested near a smelter. In the cadmium oxide form it is a deadly poison and only a small quantity will kill you.

I take the old traditions with a grain of salt but this one is so pervasive amoung welders that I do it everytime I weld galvanized.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Convertor worked very well

Well this is the update to the convertor it successfully hauled a 14K lbs M 127 from Lakehurst New Jersey to Baltimore. It did take some time since on big hills I had to go to 3rd gear but I made 55 MPH at times on straight aways and had to let off down hills to keep from going over speed.

I disconnected the brake lines on the dolly and only used the trailer brakes I had to stop quickly a couple times for traffic lights and the whole rig stopped pretty well. Diesel was only $2.29 at the Flying J at exit 2C on I 295. Hope you enjoyed my documenting this process but in the end I am still hoping to get an M 818 since the duece is worked hard hauling this load and if I have the trailer loaded I doubt that I will get to highway speeds

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Convertor worked very well

That is a very nice rig ya got there. In its form now, you could have a field day on Veterans Day for parades!

Pinkie

RE: Convertor worked very well

I have used a torch to cut a hole in galvanized metal before. I heat the area to get the galvaized off (I am up wind) and then cut a hole in it. I hear what you are saying about the issue!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good to see you made it home ok with no troubles :beer:

rdixiemiller

The reason old welders drink milk is to prevent "welders fever". Welders fever is exposure to burning zinc when welding galvanized. As far as I have been told, the zinc fumes strip the calcium from your system, causing your nerves to fire erratically. I had it one time, welding a galvanized 30000 gallon water tank. I thought I had enough air flow, I did not. Miserable headache, muscle cramps and spasms. I called an old welder I knew and asked what I had done. He told me to drink a 1/2 gallon of "sweet milk" (whole milk). I did, and my headache subsided within a couple of hours. I have studiously avoided welding galvanized since then.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for all the support brothers in arms, the thing towed very well just took time to move with the little duece that could. The black steel beam sticking up is my pole to wrap extra airline and light cable on to prevent it from tangling or falling off the trailer kinda like a spring pole on a tractor but the beam has a spring clamp instead to tension the lines.

All in all this was a fun experience and helped teach my boys and youngest girl a few McGuiver tricks since I ain't no engineer and John Kerry thinks I'm Stupid

Scrounger

You’re going to find having a M127 around very useful, kind of like have a big pickup. I have three of them and am always using one. If you can find a pallet jack to keep in the trailer you’ll never regret it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have to admit that it is an impressive looking rig Sir. 8)
I agree that a 5-ton would be a better prime mover (either tractor or cargo) but as they say in racing, "ya run what ya brung". :driver:
If it all had a new paint job and markings it would be "da bomb". :idea:
I may have to rethink my position on dollys. :oops:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice lookin' rig, David! A while back, when we were comming back from desert riding, I came across a yard with 2 trailers like yours, 3 or 4 dolleys and one of the trailers had 5th wheels on it. I have pics in my camera, but it's at work. I'll bring it back and post the pics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks