• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dolly Convertor Saga Continues completed haul

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
WillWagner did you get those pictures yet?

A while back, when we were comming back from desert riding, I came across a yard with 2 trailers like yours, 3 or 4 dolleys and one of the trailers had 5th wheels on it. I have pics in my camera, but it's at work. I'll bring it back and post the pics

powerhouseduece

Great job David!
I have a few quick questions for you. I was also a welder but in my past life, I thought that on truck and trailers like we have you are not suppose to weld or dirll holes in the frames? I had to fix the very last few inches of my friends rig, how they cut and taper the last few inches of the frame rails, I had to reweld it back togher and I sawi sticker that said do not weld or drill into this frame. Does this olny apply to civvy rigs?

54reo

powerhouseduece said:
Great job David!
I have a few quick questions for you. I was also a welder but in my past life, I thought that on truck and trailers like we have you are not suppose to weld or dirll holes in the frames? I had to fix the very last few inches of my friends rig, how they cut and taper the last few inches of the frame rails, I had to reweld it back togher and I sawi sticker that said do not weld or drill into this frame. Does this olny apply to civvy rigs?
"Do not weld or drill" is due to the frame rails being heat treated.

powerhouseduece

I guess that I should have worded it a little better but are the frame rails on a deuce and the trailers treated? I also thought it was because the frames were made to flex and that welds might snap?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have welded lots of frames over the years and most of the do not weld sticker were on big rigs I worked on as a truck mechanic. The heat treatment is the very reason on steel ones and I have seen a lot of alumimum frame trucks that had them too for obvious reasons. I know what I do when I have welded them is use my torch to mass heat the area then weld then heat again and toss some surface heat treat carbon on the area I welded when I get it heated back up to red.

I don't know if I really needed to go to that trouble but on small jobs I generally did not go through the suface treatment. On those jobs it was usually light trucks and Jeeps that ripped off a shock mount or spring bracket. I use high strength rod too on all my welds that are going to be in transit. This convertor was kinda over built in the way I made the subframe but I almost always over do the job.

That gooseneck I welded on the M105 has towed up to 8,000 pounds in the trailer for short hauls.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
7018 I really like the way it welds I have a ton of different rod from stainless steel to hard surface and grease monkey that can weld through grime. I think welding is exotic because I can make just about anything I want to with a welder and my chop saw and plasma cutter

powerhouseduece

Yea its cool what you can do with a welder. I went to classes in high school and had a few welding jobs. Its a great expearnce for a younger guy. passing welding tests are the fun part.

Mike_Pop

I built a dolly a couple years ago using an M105 trailer frame. I only needed it to get a trailer near Asheville, NC. It worked perfectly! I have since given it to a friend who uses it to haul his office trailer with his deuce.

You can see in the photo how I welded a 1/2" sheet of steel on top of the frame. This prevented it from twisting. Probably over kill but better safe than stuck on the side of the road with a lost load. I also welded a couple bolts on the front to hold the spare tire.

I actually was able to back this setup down Cabell's driveway! Not an easy task.

Attachments

Mike_Pop

It's an M117 which is the 6 ton version of the M127 (12 ton).

I bought this on eBay, drove down to Asheville, NC and brought it back up to NJ. I bolted and welded a tongue from an M353 generator trailer onto it then took the rest of the steel from the M353 and added a 5' beaver tail to the M117. I pulled the axles, removed the supports, rewelded them onto the frame, and cut out wheel wells. What I am left with is a very heavy duty 28' tag trailer (which is for sale by the way, check the classifieds: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=5&de=819)

I'm not trying to hijack your thread David but you did ask about the trailer.

Attachments

kennys@wi.rr.com

This is a great idea for those that dn't have a tractor. Or who just want to pull a larger trailer and don't want to get a tractor. Now that it's been a few years how is this working out? Is it still proving its worth?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Ferro has it now.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a great idea for those that dn't have a tractor. Or who just want to pull a larger trailer and don't want to get a tractor. Now that it's been a few years how is this working out? Is it still proving its worth?

Unfortunately ARMYMAN30Yearsplus in no longer with us. He served his country well and is dearly missed around here.

His dad is filling in for him and doing a fine job.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cool is that, though, that a thread started by David came back around years after his death! I mean that in the best of ways. I was honored to carry David to his burial in my M35A3 with CARNAC...and I am heartened that the thread that he started came back years later!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks