• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dont buy my parts......thanks PAYPAL

CAPSARME

paypal just killed me, im locked. So all my parts listings on here, and vehicles on ebay have to be removed because i had buy it nows and paypal attached to them.

I have two orders shipping today, Papabears, and Seatygers

Thanks guys.

When i feel motivated enough, i will slose and then RE-list every thing i have.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Paypal is gonna end up just like GL...have a strangle hold on the market and it will be their way or the highway!!!

Oh....and thanks for shipping my stuff.

1stSarge

My son runs an online business full time, and paypal locks him down for the most stupid random reasons. But after he speaks to a human and gets it fixed, he is unlocked again. He is slowly working away from PP.
Can’t you get it fixed?

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I agree, im not paying money from my pocket to get money thats owed for a part or MV I sell. Just taking more of a loss. Also yeah they do weird things . I take cash , check , money order for my stuff.

Crazyguyla

I got locked out for buying large $$$$ amounts from three diffrent places. They thought my account had be compromised and was being drained. It's inconvinent, but it didn't fit my normal spending pattern.

1stSarge

My son confines all of his business purchases to his paypal card and has for years, one day he stopped at burger king and couldn’t get his other card to work, so he used his PP card. Yup, you guessed it…locked it down… had to go home to get online to fix the problem, they wouldn’t do anything for him on the phone in the car…

Yes, he has paypal on speed dial on his phone... tell you anything?

Wrench Wench

You can't sell on fleaBay without being able to accept PayPal. Love that vertical integration.

I have a $1500 line of PayPal credit that I used to pay for my classic motorcycle. Paid it off and won't invade it ever again, but it's still hanging out there that I have $1500 of credit from PayPal. When I buy from fleaBay and I have to use PayPal, I use a credit card account and simply pay THROUGH PayPal.

PayPal is a huge scam.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's what I do as well...pay THRU PP....don't ya just love the little pop up thingys that want you to link your PP account with your bank account so you can be a "verified customer"??:-x:cookoo:

ranchhopper

Guess who owns paypal and any transactions over 500 dollars are reported to the IRS by paypal.I always list my things as not accepting paypal in the listing especially big dollar items.I found out about the IRS thing after selling my wrecker and the buyer paid me by paypal before I could get a hold of him not to do it.

trukhead

Do you think a new site for auctions....

Do you think a new site for auctions would be successful? I am pissed at paypal and was thinking of enlisting a friend and writing the code for an auction site.

aua:jumpin::deadhorse:

watkinssr

several people have tried other auction sites...ebay is like walmart, they've hit a point where they are to big to compete with. And even ifyou put in your ad that you dont want to accept paypal, the ebay rules say you still have to.

That said, I use paypal for a lot of stuff. I've had a paypal verified vusiness acocunt for years, and aside from the occasional headache I've been reasonably happy with them. I sell something, and and I can go straight to the ATM and pull the money out with my paypal debit card. On a few occasions I've had an ebay seller try to rip me off and paypal has always gotten my money back.

Dodge man

That's what I do as well...pay THRU PP....don't ya just love the little pop up thingys that want you to link your PP account with your bank account so you can be a "verified customer"??:-x:cookoo:
I ALWAYS pay PayPal with a credit card. That way if I have a problem I can rely on my CC company to withdraw the payment instead of fighting with PP about it. BUT PP wants you to use your bank account instead so that they don't have to worry about you withdrawing a payment in case of a problem AND so that they don't have to pay the CC fees.

However, I would advise you in the strongest terms NOT to link your bank account to PP. I did and they drained my account instead of charging to my credit card and now my bank wants $300 in over-draft fees! Now I only have my credit card linked to PP.

OldGoat

You can use craigslist and sell things without the fees, and accept whatever form of payment you choose. (Evilbay does own a stake in it however). Try using Craiglook.com for searches in the US, instead of just one particular area like you would on craigslist.

watkinssr

You can use craigslist and sell things without the fees, and accept whatever form of payment you choose. (Evilbay does own a stake in it however). Try using Craiglook.com for searches in the US, instead of just one particular area like you would on craigslist.
I use craigslist when I can, for sure. A good example though:

I had a bass amp to sell. I listed it for 2 weeks on craigslist, not a single email. I put it up on ebay and had it sold in less than an hour. Even figuring ebay and paypal's fees, I still sold it for more than similar amps were selling for on craigslist.

I've listed cars on craigslist and had them sit...then throw them up on ebay and they sell.

I've been looking at craigslist for an injection pump, aint happening. Craigslook and craigslist is great, but they won't replace eBay.

Yeah, its' a pain, and yeah, they take a cut but you get to put whatever you are selling in front of a huge customer base. They give you access to a huge inventory of sellers.

1stSarge

several people have tried other auction sites...ebay is like walmart, they've hit a point where they are to big to compete with.

I have said for a while now that I think it could be done. But only in a very specialized market. Epay, and PP’s political views have forced firearms enthusiasts to have their own auction sites and those sites have been very successful.

If there was a bunch of small auction sites that were specialized in their own markets, they would be successful. What about an auction site that did nothing but MV parts and such, like our classifieds?

Really, can Walmart compete with GL for anything that we, here, might want?:mrgreen:

watkinssr

I have said for a while now that I think it could be done. But only in a very specialized market. Epay, and PP’s political views have forced firearms enthusiasts to have their own auction sites and those sites have been very successful.

If there was a bunch of small auction sites that were specialized in their own markets, they would be successful. What about an auction site that did nothing but MV parts and such, like our classifieds?

Really, can Walmart compete with GL for anything that we, here, might want?:mrgreen:
Definately in niche markets, for sure. The gun auction sites are a great example (although I suspect it was more liability and bean counters than politics...I could be wrong).

Walmart around here was devastating to indie gun shops. Most the walmarts have phased out gun sales now, due to the above mentioned liability.

1stSarge

I have been on epay since 2000, and I have never had a problem. Well, there was one… When I bought a Russian military compass, from the Ukraine after 9/11... It was tied up in customs forever because the phosphorus face was “radioactive”.

Wow, I just realized I have posted three times in this thread, and have not said anything constructive.

You are correct on nearly all of your points, but to debate it here would be treading on dangerous ground, and apologies to CAPSARME for the jacking here. I would just love to see an auction site that catered exclusively to the MV hobby. (besides GL).

BTW, watkinssr, loved your write-up on the starter.

Dodge man

It pains me to say this but that's not entirely true. With guns, the specialty auction sites have been successful but if you look at catagories that E-bay does permit, such as gun accessories, E-bay still brings much better prices that the gun auction sites. I know because I just listed some accessories on E-bay two days ago and I researched it before hand. E-bay was bring $60+ per item and the same items on Gun Broker and Auction Arms were bringing $5!

I'm not sure why Craigslist and the gun auction sites aren't as productive as Ebay but anyone that's used both can tell that they're not and that seems to be true from both a selling and a buying prospective. Believe me, I'd LOVE to see an alternative to E-bay and PayPal!!! PP is holding over $500 of mine right now for no reason. So far they've released exactly $1.88 of it!

Many years ago Amazon.com started an auction web site and for a time it was very competitive with Ebay but E-bay's rates were LOW in those days and they weren't as anal as they were after Meg Whitman took over and forced her political views on everyone and Ebay finally prevailed. Amazon has since become a real power house in retail sales and I keep hoping that they will restart their auction web site. If they did and they offered good service and reasonable terms and rates I think there's an excellent chance that they would clean E-bay's clock!

"If there was a bunch of small auction sites that were specialized in their own markets, they would be successful. What about an auction site that did nothing but MV parts and such, like our classifieds?"

It still won't work since E-bay has a wider buyer base and still brings better prices and that's what the sellers look for so that's where they're going to list their items.* Under the current conditions the only markets where other auctions can compete with E-bay are in the areas such as guns where E-bay doesn't allow sales and there aren't many of those. I've had two friends of mine that started up two different specialty auctions but neither could compete with E-bay despite the fact that they both offered FREE listings and no sales charges! Again, the problem was that the sellers couldn't get a decent price for their items!

Personally, I would have predicted that E-bay would not do well in the automotive market due to the historically wide spread fraud and since automobiles need to be inspected and picked up in person but they've actually done very well in that area, much to my surprise! The fraud is unbelievably bad but E-bay is passing the blame to buyers and is still making money hand over fist!

* The only way that you're going to break E-bay's stranglehold on the auctions is to find a way to get more sellers to list their items on an alternative site. And the one way to do that is to get more buyers looking at that site and buying from it and paying E-bay prices. But the only way to do THAT is to get a lot more sellers there first! So you've got a chicken or the egg situation with no chickens and no eggs!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks