• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive CUCV off the GL/DRMO yard????

jworth94

It may be a moot point. I really don't think the driveshaft is bent. If I can find the picture, I'll post it. It certainly appears straight, with no damage and no signs of any forklifts, etc. No dings on the doors, that I recall.

I checked the brake lines and everything looked good, but I forgot to check reservoir. I'll have to pencil that in for next time.

This may be insignificant, but written in a black marker on the back of the blazer it says "runs", "no keys" and some other mumbo-jumbo. I'm not taking for granted that it does actually run, but it would seem there's a good chance that it will. I thought that GL actually wrote that on the blazer, but when I asked about it everyone shrugged thier shoulders. Either short memories or a high turnover at that place.

Jon

Warren Lovell

California DMV offers (last time I used one $15.00) a one day operating pass. It is a blue sheet of paper you tape to the back window of your truck. You fill in the date when you need to use it, but it is only good for one day.

A Synopsis from the California DMV website:

A One Trip Permit (REG 402) is available from the Department and may be used in lieu of California Registration for movement of any vehicle except a crane.

- The permit must be placed on the windshield or other prominent place and must identify the vehicle being moved.

- The permit must be obtained prior to any movement of the vehicle that would require it to be registered.

- The permit is valid for movement of an unladen vehicle for one continuous trip from a place:
- within California to another place within or outside California.
- outside California to a place within California.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your description and the writing on the truck, I would say that the truck is a runner. You should be able to put a couple of batteries in it and drive it home. All the fluids checked of course.

The trucks all came with the same key. You can get one of of fleabay or a fellow SS member. I have a half dozen or so in my desk at work.

I have recovered or help recover over 8 CUCVs from various locations. Only one was really drivable. The others had bent driveshafts, busted transfers cases, missing alternators/radiators, etc........

Dueses on the other hand, I have driven almost every one of them.

markinnh

Dont think Florida allows drive off but not too sure. Picked up at FT Meade, had a local guy pull it off the base, then we met him north of Baltimore...worked just fine.

kassim503

If you plan on yanking the rear drive shaft make sure you jam a cup on the end of the output shaft of the suitable size and tape it on, itll seal it and you can drive for quite some time like that. I ran mine like that for a 50 odd miles when mine busted a yoke without leaking more than a few drops of fluid. It'll light the tires up too!

CUCV85

Dont think Florida allows drive off but not too sure. Picked up at FT Meade, had a local guy pull it off the base, then we met him north of Baltimore...worked just fine.
I drove a couple off fort meade MD no issues.
I was lucky I never checked the drive shafts!
Those 2 trucks ran great, still got them.
I do know that if they don't run they pick em up with a forklift
Thanks Jack asses.
Like I said I been REAL LUCKY

Bozor1000

I had mine towed from Barstow. I California, you have to be registered to drive on the highway. I was lucky though when it arrived at my house, (my brother towed it with his flatbed), I didn't have a bent driveshaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks