• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivers side step storage to battery box conversion ?

Mack Attack

Banned
My nephew wants to know if the storage box/area by the step to get in truck can be converted into a battery box like the passenger side ? He would like to have duel battery boxes for extra cranking power.

Edit:
I told him to just pull out the deviders, toss in 2 batteries, and hook up the cables. worst case senario buy a regular battery box and install it on the driveside in place of the storage area that is currently there.

Thanks !
M/A

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no need for extra cranking power. I've started a deuce engine with little more than two small generator batteries before. You can put 4 in a deuce battery box if you really squeeze them in. Two group 31 batteries, or two 6tl's have more than enough cranking power to start a deuce. If he has to crank it that long he needs to fix whatever is wrong with the engine. I've not had a deuce that didn't fire within 5 revolutions.

Could it be done, yes. I personally feel like it would be a waste of time, wire, batteries, and storage space.

Mack Attack

Banned
I don't think its a "need" thing its more of a "want" thing. He is also planning on running duel fuel tanks on this truck. I also think duel fuel tanks is kind of a waste myself 1 tank 5mpg nets 350 miles. If you can't find a gas station in that amount of range your someplace you need not be. I heard the truck run it fires right up. Its got 2x 29 or 31 series 950cca 12volt batteries, Trucks 24v so they are hooked in series to net 24v and 950cca hitting the starter but it does rolling over at slower rpm than the same engine on 12 volts. I tired to explain to him voltage drop. He didn't seem to get it. 2x 950cca 12V hook parallel nets 12v and 1900cca hitting the starter. As where 2x 950cca hook series nets 24v and 950cca hitting the starter. The 12v system has maybe 2volt power drop as where the 24v see a 3-5volt power drop netting the slower rpm at which it cranks over at. So true add 2 more 950's would reduce the voltage drop while cranking netting a faster sounding turn over.I just don't think once you run the cable from one side to the other your going to gain much but 2 more batteries and 4 rather 6 more connections to maintain. Now duel fuel tanks do give the truck a symmetrical look which is wonderful so run a dummy tank that looks hooked up but isn't. As for the batteries they have no affect on the trucks appearance. All his 2.5ton trucks are/were/will be are 331 Gasser powered. So I am sure that gasser turns easier than the MF. So given I have only seen him drive his 6bys in the snow 3 times in 15yrs it ain't a cold weather starting thing to my knowledge.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why not have nepwew post and ask questions and carry on a back and forth descuession, sure would make things EASIER, FASTER, CLEARER, and NO third party he said/wants, This third party stuff is getting OLD

Mack Attack

Banned
Why not have nepwew post and ask questions and carry on a back and forth descuession, sure would make things EASIER, FASTER, CLEARER, and NO third party he said/wants, This third party stuff is getting OLD
I have mentioned it a few times, Its driving me NUTS ! Myself. He knows what he wants to do with it and why. He should be the one doing the talking rather typing. I told him these were the last posts I was going to make on his behalf. Tires/tanks/batteries ! If he wants to know any more he'll just have to sign up HIMSELF ! Earlier today I called him, asked about his duel tanks. Told him to just run a dead dummy so the truck looks duel tanked and used the OEM unit that's worked for 60yrs. Well he hung up on me so I think at this piont I'm done helping him.

Uhm... If you are planning to run the two battery sets in parallel there may be some problems because batteries tend not to have the same exact voltages. There are reasons you don't want an unbalanced battery system.

Simply: The lower voltage batteries set voltage of the system. They drain power from the higher voltage set. When one of the batteries fail it is likely to damage the other battery pair. That could get real ugly.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

The 12v system has maybe 2volt power drop as where the 24v see a 3-5volt power drop netting the slower rpm at which it cranks over at. So true add 2 more 950's would reduce the voltage drop while cranking netting a faster sounding turn over.
Curious how you think higher voltage has higher voltage drop.

Mack Attack

Banned
Curious how you think higher voltage has higher voltage drop.
Just an elementary prove electrical fact two 12's series doubles to 24 but the amperage isn't as hugh so the load is a higher percentage of the stored power. 2x 900cca 12v hooked parallel has 12volts and 1800 amps with a 300amp draw. Ratio is 1800 to 300. 2x900cca hooked in series gives you 24 volts and 900cca, So now the ratio is 900 to 300. Its all factual and true weather you care to believe it or not. I was stubborn and kind of stupid so I showed myself with a multi-meter and a load tester. My professor knew what he was saying.

Speedwoble

Just an elementary prove electrical fact two 12's series doubles to 24 but the amperage isn't as hugh so the load is a higher percentage of the stored power. 2x 900cca 12v hooked parallel has 12volts and 1800 amps with a 300amp draw. Ratio is 1800 to 300. 2x900cca hooked in series gives you 24 volts and 900cca, So now the ratio is 900 to 300. Its all factual and true weather you care to believe it or not. I was stubborn and kind of stupid so I showed myself with a multi-meter and a load tester. My professor knew what he was saying.
With 24 volts, the amperage required will be less for the same amount of power, so your explanation is invalid.

Cookie

Voltage drop is caused by current passing thru a resistance, in this case a low resistance connection or the internal wire resistance. Doubling the voltage source while keeping the load requirement the same means the current is cut in half. Using V=I*R and assuming that the low resistance connection stays the same then having half the current means half of the voltage loss in the circuit. I believe that this is one reason the military went to the 24V system; less strain on the electrical parts caused by heating.

REOGasser

Banned
You guys go ahead an argue way, it's my truck and I want duel battery boxes. I will also be putting in four brand new 950cca commercial batteries when I get around to this part of my project. :grd:

Later guys . . .
REO

rmgill

I don't think its a "need" thing its more of a "want" thing. He is also planning on running duel fuel tanks on this truck. I also think duel fuel tanks is kind of a waste myself 1 tank 5mpg nets 350 miles.
I would suggest the dual fuel route is the better thing to do first than adding more batteries to the system. There's just not a need for the extra battery system AND then you potentially won't be able to charge them properly based on the amperage available from the alternator.

I have installed 2 fuel tanks.

Simply put,
Second tank on the left side, same as the right, same mounting and everything.
Add a M818 fuel selector valve under the cab, left side of the driver's seat.
Add a switch to the dash that controls a relay box under the bed over the original fuel tank. Normal non powered position powers the right side fuel tank. Switched position throws the relay and powers the left side fuel tank's pump.
Add plumbing to connect to the selector valve for both supply and return, wire things up, bob's your uncle.

REOGasser

Banned
I would suggest the dual fuel route is the better thing to do first than adding more batteries to the system. There's just not a need for the extra battery system AND then you potentially won't be able to charge them properly based on the amperage available from the alternator.

I have installed 2 fuel tanks.

Simply put,
Second tank on the left side, same as the right, same mounting and everything.
Add a M818 fuel selector valve under the cab, left side of the driver's seat.
Add a switch to the dash that controls a relay box under the bed over the original fuel tank. Normal non powered position powers the right side fuel tank. Switched position throws the relay and powers the left side fuel tank's pump.
Add plumbing to connect to the selector valve for both supply and return, wire things up, bob's your uncle.
"Mack Attack" is my great uncle, He was asking these questions on my behalf. Its my truck we're talking about here. I would like to run duel tanks and duel battery boxes as well. Why double up on battery power ? this truck will either see lots of start/stop operation where it won't get much charge time and lots of sitting. this isn't my first go around with these trucks. I have found 4 batteries over 2 batteries works best for my usage.

Yep the rate of charge will get reduced but i also will be doing nice long out of state drives so on those it'll have plenty of time to catch up and charge up. I also normally charge it over night perior to such long range trips so the batteries are fully charged. i have actually noticed the charging system last longer than most of my fellow truck collectors.

Now there is a thread for adding and extra tank going, this is the first truck i have owned where it has had a sectioned off compartment on the drivers side of the truck. Normally they are big open spaces easily made into a battery box. On this truck i wanted mre of a nice looking "OEM/Factory" appearance for both the fuel tank and battery box.

edit:
Link in sig goes right to my project
REO

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

If you use the tool stowage box as a second battery box, be sure and ventilate that box well as it was not engineered to accommodate batteries. We all know what happens when you concentrate hydrogen in a confined space and an errant spark comes along.

Last edited:

phil2968

Just to let you know Mack, 12 volts X 1800 amps is 21600 watts. 24 volts X 900 amps is also 21600 watts. Stater motors are rated in watts, usually in KW or Kilo Watts. Amp draw from starters is dependent on voltage, lower voltage equals more amps. Starter motors on higher voltage pull less amps. Your mathematics don't reflect this. Its all mathematicsand they don't lie. Just tryin' to pass along the truth as it was taught to me.