• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driveshaft removal

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone attempted to remove the driveshaft? The TM makes it sound so simple :((
WHATEVER YOU DO MARK THE SPLINES!!!!!!!! If you put them back " out of time " it will feel like the bottom of your truck is about to destroy itself. I know from experience!!! The universal joint caps can be a real PIA to get out so go slow and take your time. You only need to pull 2 opposing caps at each joint.

bchauvette

IMG_1357.jpg

The plate is plug welded to the cup. Be careful not to pull the plate off the cup. Soaking in PB blaster or Liquid wrench if you have time might help. Spinning the cup with huge pliers of hammer to loosen, again be careful not break the plate off. Be careful not to loose the needle bearings inside the cup.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For hopelessly stuck caps, before you damage the yoke by beating on it, you sre better off burning the cross out with a torch and then knocking the caps out one by one. Just ran into this last weekend. The U-joint is not very expensive.

bchauvette

From personal experience getting those caps off is a bear. Lost a U joint on a trip. Luckily the M944 drive shafts are mounted with bolt on flanges. Taking the drive shaft off was a breeze. Gona spray the cups with penetrating oil during my Pm's so they come out easy next time.

OK here is plan "B" after breaking the tabs off. Got to be careful not to distort the yokes. Tighten the screw, tap the end of the threaded rod, tighten, tap etc. etc. cussing and praying seemed to help.

IMG_1358.jpg

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Being a Wrecker Operator, we run into this all the time. Take the bolts off of two opposing caps. Kick the driveshaft close to the yoke and it'll loosen one cap/bearing assembly. Now kick the other direction. Don't loose the needle bearings or the u-joint will have to be replaced. Don't waste time trying to turn the cap of the bearing, you'll only shear the spot weld and once again ruin the u-joint. We do mark with chalk to ensure we put the driveshaft back in place with the yoke on the rear axle but we never mark the splines to line it up with the transfer case. I only lift tow so we only pull the rear shaft from the transfer case to the rear axle. If I'm towing an double axle truck, the intermediate to rear most axle driveshaft stays in place. One lesson learned to share. On the LTAS Cab dual rear axle MTV's, do not connect the blue "Service" air line.

Lmtv772

Banned
So i got the driveshaft out, but I lost 3 pins from one of the caps :( Do they sell the caps by themselves? Does anyone here have a spare?

fasttruck

Plan C : align desired cap to be removed so it is on top and block a bottle jack up against the yoke from below and jack. Tap yoke with hammer to assist if needed. Rotake shaft 180 degrees and jack opposite cap off. Does less damage than beating on shaft with hammer. If you ever want to get this apart in this lifetime; coat liberally with never seize when reassembling.