• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving from GA to CO

Monday morning at 0300 I am heading to Colorado Springs from Columbus, GA in my 1028. I HOPE to make it to Salina, KS on the first day, and have a nice easy day of driving on the second. I am dropping off my 1028 at a friends house in the springs for the month, until I PCS there in June. I will be meeting my wife there so we can look for a house, and then will be flying back home to GA. I topped off/checked all my fluids, got my tool bag ready, got the ipod charged, and am pretty much just waiting to go! Hope murphy stays away from me!:beer: Attached is the route I will be taking.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Monday morning at 0300 I am heading to Colorado Springs from Columbus, GA in my 1028. I HOPE to make it to Salina, KS on the first day, and have a nice easy day of driving on the second. I am dropping off my 1028 at a friends house in the springs for the month, until I PCS there in June. I will be meeting my wife there so we can look for a house, and then will be flying back home to GA. I topped off/checked all my fluids, got my tool bag ready, got the ipod charged, and am pretty much just waiting to go! Hope murphy stays away from me!:beer: Attached is the route I will be taking.

It REALLY sucks to see another CAMO Member leave the fold!:cry::cry:

You gonna come for breakfast at the VFW...09:00hrs??

Blueduce

Good luck on the trip. I have family in Castle Rock, CO about 30mi N of the Springs if you need anything while your in the area. Glenn

3dAngus

A long haul indeed. Enjoy the ride, stop and breathe, check out the scenery, but most of all, be careful. Have a safe journey!

Sorry for the delayed responses everyone. We've been SUPER busy down here preparing for the Sullivan Cup (Army Wide best tank crew competition) http://www.benning.army.mil/armor/sullivan/ I've been in the field/on the range doing final prep for the competition. I signed out on leave this morning, and am all set to SP tomorrow around 0300. PB, I won't be back until the 13th. I will definitely be around before we leave for good though. Sorry I've been AWOL from the compound! Like I said earlier, between prepping for our PCS and getting the Sullivan Cup stuff ready, I've been SWAMMMPPEDD! I'll be gone from the Columbus CAMO but I'll be the lone Colorado CAMO member out there!

I will try to keep yall posted on my progress as I make stops for fuel. Thanks for the support!:beer:

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sorry for the delayed responses everyone. We've been SUPER busy down here preparing for the Sullivan Cup (Army Wide best tank crew competition) The United States Army | Fort Benning I've been in the field/on the range doing final prep for the competition. I signed out on leave this morning, and am all set to SP tomorrow around 0300. PB, I won't be back until the 13th. I will definitely be around before we leave for good though. Sorry I've been AWOL from the compound! Like I said earlier, between prepping for our PCS and getting the Sullivan Cup stuff ready, I've been SWAMMMPPEDD! I'll be gone from the Columbus CAMO but I'll be the lone Colorado CAMO member out there!

I will try to keep yall posted on my progress as I make stops for fuel. Thanks for the support!:beer:
Good look on the trip and good hunting out there Brother!:beer:

I'm at my first stop for diesel. No issues so far. Checked the truck over after I topped off. On the last tank I averaged 16.1 mpg. Not great, but I didn't buy a CUCV for the gas mileage. I stayed between 70-75mph which kept my rpm's between 2400-2560. The pyrometer stayed between 500-600 degrees and the boost was consistent at around 8-9 PSI. I'll continue to update as I get further along.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336388642.992882.jpg
Winfield, AL, USA

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was the ride from Memphis to Little Rock? When Ferro and I drove that in his 915, we figured that the rear tires only touched the ground 25% of the time, due to the rough assed road.:mrgreen:

EMD- I think riding a bull at the rodeo would have been smoother. That was the worst stretch of interstate I have ever been on. I'm stopped for my 3rd fuel stop. Got a slight transmission fluid leak from the pan. Didn't get much of a turn on any of the bolts. Still plenty of fluid in the pan. I'll keep an eye on it. Hope to make it into Salina KS at a decent time so I can meet up with Glen. Back to the road...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336417028.060315.jpg

CycleJay

Too bad I could not hitch a ride with ya, help with the driving, etc.
Because my dad lives in Colorado, and it would of been a way to go see him.
But time, family, and money restraints would of prevented me anyway.

Have a safe trip

Well I made into Salina with no major issues around 1945 local time. My lock cylinder fell out of my driver side door, but that's it. A big thanks to Glen (91W350) for dinner. Nice to have folks that are willing to meet ya for the heck of it! I'll be out of here early in the morning to finish my trip to Colorado Springs.

91W350

Nice to meet you! I hope that omlette rides well.. rest comfortably and carry on. I wish i was headed to the mountains...

Got a great nights rest in Salina. Had a big cup of joe and hit the road for the last 450 miles. Gonna take my time and have a nice easy day of driving. My wife flies into Denver tomorrow morning-we'll be spending the rest of the week lookin at houses in the Springs. We fly back to GA on Sunday afternoon. It's gonna suck not having PB and the CAMO fellers in Colorado. I don't what my Saturdays will consist of....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336489303.799199.jpg
Collyer, KS, USA