• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving the 8x8

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added a few miles to the odo today driving the 8x8 in a nearby field.
My son Adrian and I took turns.
Shifting from first to second was very smooth and it really took off after shifting...lots of power. The automatic shifts at 2,800 rpm.
I had some problems with the fuel pressure due to the extra fuel strainer and one check valve even some air so the filters had to be bled frequently.
Adrian's reaction, "badass and fast".

Attachments

Flea

What muffler did you end up using for that beast? Looks great! What's left to do before registering and getting it on the road?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The muffler is an original issue, the one used while in service, it's a Donaldson, posted info some time ago.
I still have one fuel tank to install and from today's experience, some better valves (=higher flow factor) in the dual tank system.
The tires are not the best either, but that thing is a blast to drive!

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boost? Heck I was too exited to simply drive it. :)
I did look at the tach to check the rpm at which it shifted, though, I'll pay more attention to the gauges next time. The steering was effortless and the brakes easily locked up the rear tires on the gravel road (not much load).

Attachments

FSBruva

Wow... that thing looks fantastic... and the backdrop doesn't hurt the pics, either.

Can't wait to see it on the highway!! I'm sure your usual habit of excellent data capture while driving will help us all understand what a cool truck that is!!!

Matt

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, good to see it drive! I can imagine the thrill it was, wish I could hear the beast. Congrats on a great job bringing it back to life, it has come a long way. Get any video of it?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
So Bjorn, when are you gonna find one of these trailers?
Ryan, the 757 was used with the 1A version, the Pershing 2 needed the 10-ton tractor (MAN or HEMTT).

Only a few left on display....maybe I can borrow one. :)

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner said:
WOW, good to see it drive! I can imagine the thrill it was, wish I could hear the beast. Congrats on a great job bringing it back to life, it has come a long way. Get any video of it?
Thanks Will. Having a 200 hp engine as a driving buddy, revving at 2,800 rpm is a thrill for sure. There is a lot of whine from the fan...The turbo can only be heard from the outside on the exhaust side when it's spooling down.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flea said:
Since you're sitting right beside the engine (practically), how is the noise factor inside the cab?
Actually not as bad as it may appear, the exhaust pipe is further away than it is on the deuce. The engine has a more mellow sound (compared to the deuce multifuel), but the fan noise is very pronounced.

Area52, only the cargo version floats. :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks