• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving through Central America

Junglemist

When crossing the border, US CBP doesn't always know how a specific ex-military vehicle ended up in private hands. It could have been sold under an EUC, sold as surplus to a foreign government in the past and then bought by a foreign individual, purchased in the US a long time ago, or some other route.

There doesn't seem to be a definite answer. Some people cross back and forth with no issues. But of course when dealing with a very complicated legal system that may not always be the case.

tamangel

well, I just read the post of the Hemtt camper guy who crossed back into CA w/o a prob..I guess if he and his rig, subtle as it is.., did it, then you should have noooo problems..

Mike W

iatractor

Sounds like an interesting trip. Thanks for the pointers and information. Now you have me thinking about making a trip like that in a big truck someday. Not sure if I want to do that in my deuce though with all the restrictions on an EUC. Perhaps and old R model mack though.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like you did it right ;) I've spent many winters down south. Been down that route and back loads of times using mass transit and cheap rooms. Have friends in Costa and Pana.
You really have me rethinking what I'm doing this winter ;)

Enjoy!

Another Ahab

I'm looking forward to driving some of the crazy roads I've found, especially in Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
A solid top-shelf Class 1 adventure. Thank you for this outstanding post and travelogue!

Did you ever run across the "Oh-My-God" bridge in Costa Rica? I don't believe it was wide enough to carry a Deuce, so maybe you went around it (if you were even in that area). If you crossed it, you'll remember it.

It was on the road between San Jose and Quepos, I'm remembering it as being just outside of Manuel Antonio. Just curious...

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some things that we don't know about that,
1) that "expat" could still be a US citizen, . . . I do know people that consider themselves "expat" and still have US or UK citizenship.
2) and (if that person is still a citizen) if he did the same thing that we do when we are selling/trading/gifting something under EUC restrictions to someone else.

He gave us no details about that part of his story.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am curious to hear your opinion on what part of the EUC he did not adhere to.

Rick

I have no opinion, as long as the US Govm't does not ask me where the Deuce I sold is now.

From your perspective all is good, from mine, my ability to purchace controlled items is at risk, so look at it from my position.

Thanks,
Ed

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ,

If you documented the name of the person you sold it to, and you informed the seller of the EUC, then you have met the EUC requirements and you are in the clear.

I don't personally subscribe to the fear mongering that occasionally surfaces on this forum. If the Gov didn't want these trucks outside the US, we would not be able to ship them out or drive them over the border.

Rick

madaro

nice thread guys, happy to hear about your travels. i was looking for info pertaining to taking a m1009 to mexico city DF ... sounds like with a coat of paint it will be no problem !

madaro

nice thread guys, happy to hear about your travels. i was looking for info pertaining to taking a m1009 to mexico city DF ... sounds like with a coat of paint it will be no problem !

saddamsnightmare

September 18th, 2014.

As always, an interesting thread, though I might disagree on the compliance with the EUC, because functionally the truck ended up outside US ownership without State or Defense Department clearance. I just hope ISIS doesn't get ahold of a couple of these for bombs or beheading factories.... You do know that because it was US military, that it can always e used in those lesser countries against us because it looks like one of our trucks?

Personally, while most of us are fairly law abiding, there is a slight thread of fanaticism on here that does make it interesting sometimes, inasmuch as the reactions go from the far right to so far left they are just about on the right again. For myself, any ex-military truck that crosses the US borders outbound better have a New York phonebook size pile of paperwork, and the owner should be under about a half a million to a million dollar bond to make sure that the truck returns intact to the US at the end of the trip, for our security sake. Otherwise, we are exporting problems for ourselves in the future.

That is just my opinion, but again, everyone's entitled to their own thoughts.

Have a Great Day!

Another Ahab

September 18th, 2014.

As always, an interesting thread, though I might disagree on the compliance with the EUC, because functionally the truck ended up outside US ownership without State or Defense Department clearance. I just hope ISIS doesn't get ahold of a couple of these for bombs or beheading factories.... You do know that because it was US military, that it can always e used in those lesser countries against us because it looks like one of our trucks?

Personally, while most of us are fairly law abiding, there is a slight thread of fanaticism on here that does make it interesting sometimes, inasmuch as the reactions go from the far right to so far left they are just about on the right again. For myself, any ex-military truck that crosses the US borders outbound better have a New York phonebook size pile of paperwork, and the owner should be under about a half a million to a million dollar bond to make sure that the truck returns intact to the US at the end of the trip, for our security sake. Otherwise, we are exporting problems for ourselves in the future.

That is just my opinion, but again, everyone's entitled to their own thoughts.

Have a Great Day!
Not unreasonable to consider, for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks