• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual circuit brake using pinion and wheel brakes.

red

To cover both emergency brakes and a long term parking brake could use the rotors from a Chevy 2500 pickup with eldorado calipers. Nice and thick rotors that are cheap/easy to replace, with a mechanical parking brake built in.

welldigger

I think I'm going to try making a "last resort" brake and I'll see how it works. I'm thinking 2x rotors (12") with 2 calipers each. Both rotors mounted to the center axle's pinion. If it works and ever gets used, then replacement rotors should be all that's required.
Eh I'd think 4 rotors at minimum. It's not clamping force that's the problem. It's heat dissipation.

red

I'd argue that. Yes the rotors will probably warp and need to be turned but they would stop the truck faster.

But, more rotors helps spread the load and reduce the heat

peashooter

Aaron check out this site. At work we had these on our older 40ft busses. They can almost bring a fully loaded bus to a complete stop. They make them for all kinds of applications.
http://www.telmausa.com/products/operating-principle
I contacted Telma since I like this idea. Unfortunately they start at $4500.

The only problem now is how are you going to apply all the calipers at the same time with mechanical linkages ?
I think I will try a hydraulic emergency brake handle. That way if there was ever an "Oh Crap" moment with loss of service brakes, I could just pull this thing to engage the pinion brakes, pull the stock parking brake, and then still have my feet and hands to steer, and work on down shifting.
image.jpg

Since the front axle doesn't look to have enough clearance from the oil pan, I don't think having pinion brakes there would work for us.... or they would be really small rotors. Plus if you have lockout hubs then pinions wouldn't work if hubs were unlocked. The rear axle doesn't appear to have much clearance for large rotors either. Looking at my truck, I think a larger disc could hit the frame cross-member (followed immediately by my freshwater tank:))
I think the center axle would have clearance for a 12" rotor on the front and rear side of the diff.

Here is what I'm wanting to accomplish:
-simple add on (a day or less)
-$500 or less for the whole set up
-Largest/thickest discs possible
-No interference, or modification of any existing stuff
-as many off the self easily purchased parts as possible (calipers, pads, rotors, hoses, Tees, remote brake lever or pedal, etc)
-ability to stop the truck ONE TIME as fast as possible.
Benchmark would be a dual circuit deuce operating with only 1 circuit (ex: front brakes only)

Honestly, this project isn't at the top of my priorities. I just thought it would be nice for many folks that have a single circuit truck and would like some type of backup for that one emergency situation that you hopefully never have. I don't know if it will work well enough to be worth the cost and effort. It is something I've thought about for a few years but never really went further than that.

**I will be trying this on my truck but If anyone else with a 6x6 stock m35a2 cargo deuce, anal-retentive personality, spare time, and a willingness to do some experimenting with brake stopping distances (including plugging the rear brake line at the tee on the frame above the spare tire) wants to help me out, just send me a PM. I'll donate whatever mounting brackets and hardware are needed, you would just need to buy the purchased parts. Prices so far are: $35/rotor (2x), $60/caliper-4 piston (2x or 4x?), ~$100 brake lever (could be a remote pedal if you prefer also).

Last edited:

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Where can you get a maxi can and a air brake caliper?
Not to step on any toes, and certainly not to try to hijack the thread, but... Just about any medium and heavy truck manufacturer that deals in Europe will have these parts. They went to air discs as standard instead of drums DECADES ago. If somebody wanted to install an air-powered driveline disc brake, or even convert their entire vehicle over to discs at all wheels, it's not hard to find the parts to do so. Even Meritor right here in the US provides air discs on some axles.

I'm not out to be argumentative here. The reality is that disc brakes are quieter, more reliable, cooler, more efficient, easier to maintain, and less expensive to work on, than their drum equivalents. We've known this for a great many years.

Here is a very good article on the subject:
http://www.todaystrucking.com/whats-stopping-you-the-4-1-1-on-air-disc-brakes

If a person wanted to put air discs on his driveline, it's definitely within the realm of possibilities. And would certainly work better than the other suggestions that have been made.

ke5eua

Not air but disc conversions. Brace yourself, pretty pricey in my eyes.

http://www.gearharteng.com/#

Not to step on any toes, and certainly not to try to hijack the thread, but... Just about any medium and heavy truck manufacturer that deals in Europe will have these parts. They went to air discs as standard instead of drums DECADES ago. If somebody wanted to install an air-powered driveline disc brake, or even convert their entire vehicle over to discs at all wheels, it's not hard to find the parts to do so. Even Meritor right here in the US provides air discs on some axles.

I'm not out to be argumentative here. The reality is that disc brakes are quieter, more reliable, cooler, more efficient, easier to maintain, and less expensive to work on, than their drum equivalents. We've known this for a great many years.

Here is a very good article on the subject:
http://www.todaystrucking.com/whats-stopping-you-the-4-1-1-on-air-disc-brakes

If a person wanted to put air discs on his driveline, it's definitely within the realm of possibilities. And would certainly work better than the other suggestions that have been made.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Not air but disc conversions. Brace yourself, pretty pricey in my eyes.

http://www.gearharteng.com/#
Yeah. Doing the conversion is expensive, to be sure. What's kind of silly is that, from a manufacturing perspective, discs are cheaper to produce and less costly to install in the first place than drums. But we're still doing drums anyway.

If I had the money, I'd swap over to air discs without a second thought. Everything I have would be all-disc. It's a no brainer. Well, if money were no object.

ke5eua

If money was no object I would own all the M1070's, lol

Yeah. Doing the conversion is expensive, to be sure. What's kind of silly is that, from a manufacturing perspective, discs are cheaper to produce and less costly to install in the first place than drums. But we're still doing drums anyway.

If I had the money, I'd swap over to air discs without a second thought. Everything I have would be all-disc. It's a no brainer. Well, if money were no object.

rustystud

Actually drum brakes still have there place. Our busses still use drum brakes. In the 1990's we did try to use disc brakes on the busses. It was a failure. Industry wide on large trucks they have gone back to drum brakes. One of the reasons is the amount of pressure needed to stop a disc rotor. Remember in cars your using hydraulic pressure which reaches over 1000psi. In a truck your using air pressure which is only 120psi tops. So most "air calipers" are actually "air over hydraulic" systems . In the past some manufactures have used a bizarre cam-over system using brake cans but they didn't work well at all.
IsaLandr, don't you think manufactures would go to the cheapest most reliable system ? Like you said "it's a no brainer" .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks