• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Glasspacks

K45

I think the best place to get the info you are looking for is your local muffler shop. they could probably poit you towards some customers that have a similar diesel and exhaust set up youare looking for to listen too. I know for all my stuff I look for performance more than sound. I did have a Tahoe with a flowmaster and it sounded sweet. My current k5 has a magnaflow single exhaust 3" and it has a respectable sound little bit better than stock but not annoying loud either. You can alway get tip that change the sound to help give the sound you are wanting as well. I would still suggest getting what the truck needs to run better as apossed to astetics. Good luck with it.

flighht2k5

Banned
Do you guys think that dual Glasspacks would be to loud for a M1008, I live in a small town but would drive through De Kalb, IL a bigger town, and if I where to go to my friends houses they live in the country and half my friends run just headers so I know that answer, I just need to get tickets or my parents will kill me.

Please tell me what you guys have on your MV?
Yea cause glasspacks are GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

99dodge1500

DevilMan96: I like that link that was the funniest thing I have seen all day.

K45: Thanks for the advice but the exhaust shop around me manly do ricers and I don't think they have brought any diesels in there.

Flighht2k5: Thanks for your opinion, I have a glasspack on my dodge and it sounds and performs beastly.

Bobert

I would be interested in the results if you go with the glasspacks.

With glasspacks, You have to worry about that raspy, farting noise.
Flowmasters might be smoother and deeper.

I put cutouts on my gas chevy, so my dad can have it quiet, and I can blast people in the car next to me.

You could always just poke a few holes in your stock mufflers just to see what happens.

Be sure to report your findings when you get it figured out.

rockspider

It has been said before, but here is a short summary:

Your Dodge (if it's the avatar one) has a turbodiesel. Exhaust gases after the turbo have very low energy and require less muffling capacity than a NA diesel.
Second, the newer turbodiesels burn much cleaner than old vintage diesels, producing less ashes.
Ash will slowly fill the sound-deadening fiber inside the glasspacks, leading to progressively increase of loudness, up to the point of a completely clogged glasspack which sounds like no muffler at all, e.g. VERY LOUD

Cucv in general could benefit from a single exhaust conversion, because with the J-code intake and separate exhaust there's no blending of the exhaust pulses, (which lead to that well known sound of 2 rough 4 cil together and not the classic V8 rumble).

Also there's no need to increase the section of tubes, the diesel is not a Rpm-monster and increasing the section will only slow the exhaust gas speed, which may actually increase egt and worsen fuel economy.

After reading much on this forum, on CK5 forum, and talking with a tech from a truck muffler factory, when it was time to replace the rusty exhaust lines under my M1008 I went with a single 3" exhaust with a chambers type diesel truck muffler.
Sounds is the sweet typical low-pitch V8 rumble, discrete, and I know it's a setup that works well in accordance with this kind of engine.

Hardly you notice real seat-of-the-pants differences just from an exhaust change. It feels like it revs up quicker now, but it could be just me liking the new cooler sound :-D

Cheers

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Wow, listen to all the hostility.

Like gt1009 and a few others I have dual Maremont Cherry Bombs on my truck. I put them on to replace the stock, crusty mufflers and also because they were $40 or so at AutoZone.
Are they the ultimate setup? Nope. Do they flow better than the stock garbage can mufflers? Hell yeah. Did I pick up a little pep? Sure. Nothing to write home about but for $60 or so total investment and a few hours it was worth it.

Loudness? It's sort of a moot point in a 1008 as you can't hear anything but the engine rattle anyways. I'm told it sounds decent outside but I've never heard my truck other than idling anyways. To me it just seems like the tone changed a bit.
What do I know though, I'm half deaf after listening to the F/A-18's for four years.

Ideal setup would be as referred to above. Single 3" with mandrel bends and a good quality diesel muffler. That's my eventual plan when I have a reason to replace the stock system.

randyscycle

Loudness? It's sort of a moot point in a 1008 as you can't hear anything but the engine rattle anyways. .

Maybe you can't hear anything, but I can assure you that the folks who already have an axe to grind with owners of surplus MV's can hear something that isn't as pleasant sounding to them as it is to others. I think noisy exhaust only draws negative attention to a hobby that needs all the positive light it can get shed upon it.

I've watched trail after trail get shut down in our National Forests to motorcycles, ATV's, and other OHV's because an 85 decibel limit was placed on the exhaust systems of these vehicles and time and again these restrictions were violated by folks who thought loud exhaust sounded cool.

AJMBLAZER

Calm down there sparky. Before you ASS-U-ME more about me read what I said again.

I can't tell a difference in the cab. Folks have also told me there's nothing objectionable about the sound outside. Believe me if it was horribly loud or sparking complaints I'm not hard to find around this town. Just look for the large camo pickup in the springs, summer, and fall. Not to mention I've played the 40 series Flowmaster behind a 350 game and don't do it anymore because it was annoyingly loud inside of a full interior civilian truck and sounded just like every other Z71 or F150 pickup around here.

I also live where you can hardly wheel because of stupid people with 4x4's making bad decisions back in the day.

Don't dog on folks just because they choose to modify THEIR vehicles in ways YOU don't like. Bad decisions and bad designs/engineering/modifications are one thing but otherwise just live with it if it isn't yours. Spread the word and try to help educate folks but think about what you're saying to others.

hobie237

Is all the threadcrapping really necessary? Yeesh, the guy is new, asking for advice. Yeah, he doesn't have a CUCV yet, so what? Nobody else has ever had questions they wanted answered BEFORE they jumped in and bought something?

Yeah, he wants to modify it. Gasp. If it's not your name on the title, get over yourself and deal with it. If you want to restore a truck, by all means, buy one and do so. Want to "save" another half dozen? By all means, go for it, just plunk down the money and put your name on the titles and do whatever you want with them. Put up or shut up. Pretty simple.

Believe it or not, not all of us see these trucks as anything particularly special. They're just base-model K30s with a PITA of an electrical system and a couple upgrades and a funky paint job. What they are, though, is a decent bargain for a fair amount of capability in a one-ton truck, and lots of us wanted them for that. They have their limitations, though, one of which is ground clearance, which, quite frankly, sucks with the stock-size 32" tires.

It's clear that lots of people here don't have that much experience with Cherry Bombs or other glasspacks. They come in different flavors, the more mild of which offer a good tone without too much additional noise. CUCVs are loud, rattling beasts anyway, so yeah, it's kind of a moot point if a few extra decibels are added. If you want quiet, buy a Buick, or a brand new, shiny dumbed-down half-ton built for comfort over capability.

Last edited:

randyscycle

I am not "threadcrapping" nor "ASS-U-ME" ing anything. (I find the first term funny though!)

Last time I checked this is a public forum, and when people ask for opinions, then, they will get them like it or not. I generally find that when people do not hear what they want to after asking a question, they get all testy and whiny.

That said, I don't really care what the kid wants to do to a vehicle he doesn't even own yet anyway. I do take some issue with things that help to reinforce the stereotypes already out there, but I can't control them, only offer my opinion. If no one wants it, they don't have to read it. But they need to remember, they asked for it, so here it is along with everyone else's........

hobie237

Offering opinions is good, but it's a bit better when there is some stated basis in fact. Don't take my comments as being leveled straight at you, because they're not. There's a full six pages of drivel, in addition to the multiple pages of drivel in this poor kid's other threads.

maritimer

finallty got my beast put bak ctogetehr so i will get some video of it to-morrow running and throttled up and post it to help your decide