• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Piston Compressor Head Problems

Chris518

My compressor was not working when I bought my deuce. I bought a gasket kit in preparation of tearing it down. I hit my first roadblock when taking the compressor 'block' off the base. How in the world do you get to the back inside nut?? I had the cooling hose (to the oil cooler) removed but there is no way to get a wrench or socket on it. I would love to get it off to clean off the mass amount of RTV on it now but maybe i dont need to. I got the head off and the cylinder walls looked really good and they were moving up and down with zero resistance. So I am thinking the issue is in the head. I removed the intake valves and they are in good condition. They seem to be closing as they should. When trying to remove the exhaust valves, I cannot get the nut (?) off to get into the valves and springs. I didnt have an allen that big so I made one from a hex head bolt. I have soaked it good in PB Blaster but it wont budge. Is this a nut? Compression fit?
I am not sure if it is even worth it because when i press on the valves they seem to spring just fine. I would not think that the exhaust valves would prevent pressure from building but I would feel better to just put my eyes on all parts. This is also the first time I have broken a compressor like this down so I dont have much reference. But I guess thats why you guys are here!

Lots of questions above so in summary...
How do I get the back inside nut off the compressor block?
How do I remove the exhaust valve collett (or should even bother)?
Any other suggestions what I should investigate?

Attachments

Chris518

This post has some pics of a twin piston Midland taken apart : https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/air-pump-rebuild-questions.68764/page-2
Great pics! Thanks for sending. Doesn't look like they had disassembled much in the head itself (but every other piece is broken down) so now I am thinking these must be pressed in, not screwed it.

Anybody have any tricks to see if the seats on the exhaust valves are good? Should they hold fluid if I pour a little in? I guess same question applies to the intake valves (reeds).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks