• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dual wheeled M105 on GL ........

CanadaDeuce

now this is different .......... wonder how they did that ?, I know we are not to post links
but its on a rotation on the SS main page :?

Im calling it unique as never see a dual M105 before ........ any ideas or anyone own something like this ?, looks like they just bolt on another set of wheels with dish out ?
If anyone is close tio this trailer Id sure love to see more of the underside and wheels
maybe someone will buy it and fill us in on its design.

now this id like to do, as the wheels must be ouit even with the deuce rear wheels or close...... bet that looks sharp :shock:

CanadaDeuce

http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1657671&cm_mmc=IL-_-SS-_-Trailer-_-3324

papercu

trailer

All it will do is the increase the footprint of the track and nothing to with making it haul more.
My M816 came with duals for the front. Wayne

CanadaDeuce

RE: trailer

thanks guys

I figured the studs were long enough to just put another wheel on dish out, but something out of the ordinary .

I dont see why you would have to pull the outer wheels when towing it other than the spray , unless in some states sown there you have to have your wheels covered, should be no wider than a Deuce wheel track correct ?

If anyone has any other pics of there dual wheel trailers pls post so we can see others.

have fun ....... thinkin OD in BC today, great sunny day, maybe winter is finally over.

CanadaDeuce

Jake0147

RE: trailer

I think it would track wider, it would be as wide as a deuce with the hubs flipped for single rear wheels, but having dual wheels installed, no? Most states require fenders and mudflaps to cover trailer tires.

I wonder what they were doing with that. I could be off base, even with the single tires, I don't think that the wheels would be the weak link for the trailer?

deuceman51

I have an m105 just back from iraq that I got off GL a month ago. From what I was told it was for the sand. What they did on mine was press in deuce wheel studs and then they could use the budd wheel system with inner and outer nuts. It look badass and i'm not sure if I will leave it that way or take the outer ones off yet. I would post a pic, but for some reason my computer and SS don't get along when it comes to pic posting.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it states in one of the manuals NOT to put duals on the 105. When it's loaded, the fenders hit the tires.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Atleast you'd be able to see the trailer when towing it...well, the tires at least!

KsM715

Budd capps and lug nuts will get you dual wheels. Might check to see if the hubs and bearings off a M200 will work on a 105 to get true duals without tearing up the 105 wheelbearings.

BST4227

Guess it’s time to introduce myself, I’m a retired Motor Sgt (78-02) I spent most of my career in SP Artillery units. I’ve been lurking here about a year or so.

To answer the question about dual wheels on M105’s its way to easy to do all you need is the inner and outer lug nuts from the duals on a duce and of course the tires and wheels. Many of the Maintenance Sections would do it to gain some stability due to the amount of weight we would carry in our trailers, that often had 6-7 foot boxes built in them making them pretty top heavy. The S4 would do the same on the M105’s that carried the 600 gal fuel pod. In one unit in Germany we also used modified fenders off of a water buffalo to cover our dual not a perfect fit but it worked.

Somewhere in the mid to late 80’s the Army said we had to take them off due to excessive wear and tear on the wheel bearings and axels, we never saw it at the user level and kept putting it off until the issue was forced. So its kind of funny to hear it's happening again.

Bret

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it’s time to introduce myself, I’m a retired Motor Sgt (78-02) I spent most of my career in SP Artillery units. I’ve been lurking here about a year or so.

To answer the question about dual wheels on M105’s its way to easy to do all you need is the inner and outer lug nuts from the duals on a duce and of course the tires and wheels. Many of the Maintenance Sections would do it to gain some stability due to the amount of weight we would carry in our trailers, that often had 6-7 foot boxes built in them making them pretty top heavy. The S4 would do the same on the M105’s that carried the 600 gal fuel pod. In one unit in Germany we also used modified fenders off of a water buffalo to cover our dual not a perfect fit but it worked.

Somewhere in the mid to late 80’s the Army said we had to take them off due to excessive wear and tear on the wheel bearings and axels, we never saw it at the user level and kept putting it off until the issue was forced. So its kind of funny to hear it's happening again.

Bret
Welcome!
What area of the "green disease" are you planning to paricipate in?
Not much available artillery to obtain!

Attachments

BST4227

I've got a M101A3 right now, and I love the way the bobbed duce's look so maybe one of them or maybe a M1009/1008. I'd love to have a M88 :drool: again but the lack of tracked vehicles and funds will prevent that from happening.

Bret

ABNENGR

BST4227 is right on the money. We used duals on the 105s hauling the fuel pods for stability. Combat Engineers also used them on the 105s that they pulled behind the squad M113s to haul equipment and demo. Made them way more stable off roading with the APC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks