• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duel fuel line mod M818 855 cummins

Vintage iron

why do people think Cummins parts are hard to come by? I am a diesel mechanic and all of the Cummins 855 parts are readily available! Maybe some parts that are particular to our trucks, but there are not many!

Carlo

Im from Italy and can get everything I need from gaskets to nuts and bolts. I can even source my parts in europe....I have never had a problem.

350TacoZilla

not sure if that was directed at me saying they were in short supply. I can go buy everything I need from a few shops around my area but I meant junk yards have scrapped alot of the older trucks or parted them out till nothing left, hence 855's are in short supply for me to scavenge used parts from since I dont have the cash for new cummins parts like a turbo.

Vintage iron

I don't want you to take offense. I have seen a trend of people making similar comments on other threads. Yes, you are correct a lot of old military trucks have been scrapped in the past few years. But the 855 was used in a lot of different trucks and over a lot of years, so you can still find some. It just maybe off a peterbuilt.

350TacoZilla

no offense taken lol I was looking through a couple rig junk yards around me (few and far between to start with) and it doesnt even seem like the 855 civi trucks are around any more unless they are the n14 variant and usually celect ones. I was actually looking for civi only 855s when looking for turbo parts but "pickin's be slim" in my area.

DW818

Parts question for dual fuel line mod...

Im in the process of doing this mod to my 818...tracked all my parts down except for the adapter that goes into the emergency shutoff valve...I'm using 3/8 steel tube and I'm having a hard time finding the adapter I need to go from 3/8 inverted flare to male 1/2-24 straight thread with a small o-ring seal that threads into my emergency shutoff...I had a machinist at work help me find what thread the male end of it is spec'd at. All the local hydraulic places haven't been able to find what I need to complete the project. Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanx

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From earlier in the thread.

I used 3/8 inverted flare steel lines for the fuel lines. One was 40" the other 30". The tee is a 1/4" NPT. I used 1/4" to 3/8" Inverted flare adapters out from there to the lines. The adapters at the heads are 1/8" npt to 3/8" flare. (Plus remember you'll need to space out the front head fitting.) I used a 1/4" npt to a JIC adapter to plumb the tee into the adapter that comes out of the emergency stop valve. (It has a O ring and a straight thread)

DW818

Thanks for the posts guys. Patracy did you use the JIC to 1/4 to go into the brass adapter that threads into the emergency stop or to go into your 1/4 T? I've read through this thread and checked all pictures quite a few times... Based of what I've seen, Is there a possibility I have a different fitting in the top of my emergency stop? I have a flaring tool at work and made up a test 3/8 inverted flare and I't wont even come close to fitting in my adapter that threads into my e-stop valve...All of the JIC ends i've came across at all the places i've went to will not fit into at as well...Hope I'm understanding this correctly...if not thanks for your patience.

DW818

:if it would help here is the brass fitting out of the emergency shut off and the type of line and compression fittings I'm using....the female end is the old fuel line compression style fitting...and the male is the 1/2-24 straight thread I was speaking of earlier the thread.

Attachments

Vintage iron

For all of those who would rather just buy a kit then make one . Pittsburg Power makes a complete kit for $117. I know that seems like a lot, but it maybe worth it in headaches. Just remember that increased flow reduces pressure. I know I have done this mod and it makes the engine run much smoother .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be nice is somone who is getting ready to do this Mod would put a pressure gage on the last head before the Mod is made. Then do the snap test and see what kinda pressure is there. Thought 172psi.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks