• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dukw progress thread

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The Airshow takes place every year on this weekend and this year ALL the Armed Forces cancelled out which leaves a HUGE hole in the displays and exhibits.

We (CAMO) took some stuff out there yesterday and of course Doc wanted to take the DUKW (AS WAS)!! Several members brought vehicles from home but I didn't get pics of them. Here's a few pics of the rollout:

Attachments

zout

That is one fine display of MV history there - awesome display by CAMO once again on the roll.

Are you going to post more pics from the Air Show event ?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That is one fine display of MV history there - awesome display by CAMO once again on the roll.

Are you going to post more pics from the Air Show event ?
You guys are doing a fine job. A real treat for everyone attending. Have a great day. :driver:
Thanks Guys. I don't want to start anything here but it just amazes me that not ONE of the Armed Forces Branches can afford to send out even a small weapons display when a group of old tired men without a budget, no money and nothing but heart can field about 20 vehicles and other equipment/uniforms to represent our Veterans and folks currently serving.

Oh well...I'll drop that for now.

Zout, I'll see if Tony or Troy will take some pics...I'm not going out today or tomorrow. Having some leg and hip problems...LOL

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew you had a slippery tongue, but I had no idea you gargled with WD-40.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's been awhile and I just wanted to post a LITTLE progress made on the DUKW.:roll:

As usual, life got in the way, other projects with higher priority etc., but we have made SOME progress on the DUKW:

The engine/trans has been ready to drop in place for months but we have been doing stuff that was easier to do without the power pack installed. Today Troy and Tony wanted to replace the front rubber brake lines as the old ones were full of poopoo looking stuff as expected.
Tony found some lines in an old book NAPA had and the drivers side hooked right up but the passenger side line is too short. Back to the drawing board and looking for that line.:jumpin:

Anyhoo...once the lines are done we plan to drop the power pack in and see if that ole girl wants to cruise around the compound.:tank:

Stand by...hopefully not for another year...we plan on driving her into the Georgia Rally Compound this year in October (No...not all the way from Columbus...lol).

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just a quick progress report. Troy asked if he could roll the DUKW on it's side so he could easily get to the last remaining rusted out spots and of course I said OK. It's also a good time to go thru everything on the bottom side before we tip her back over and install the power pack.
Of course she needs all the bellows but other than the panels shown there's only minor spots to be fixed and everything else seems to be in decent shape.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard of Duck Under Glass before, but a glass-bottomed DUWK is a whole different critter.

Too bad that belly-cancer ate right through the steel - probably from the inside out. Rolling her was a great idea. You'll be more assured a 100% integrity and no strained neck or welding splatter in the eyes, nose, or mouth.

Carry on!

zout

I just knew TROY ROCKED- tippin that baby over was a great idea - now I know why you bought MORE PAINT

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troy was smart to tip it. I hate welding something that is overhead. Not a fun experience. Can wait to ride in it next month. :razz:

61sleepercab

You may want to tie a 55 gallon drum on a rope as a marker if she does not want to float the first time out. A WWII veteran's story to his family was that a group of homesick troops stole a DUWK and started across Manilla Bay to boat home until they got swamped and sank in the bay. In Charleston West Virginia, they used to make FMC armored personnel carriers and local lore says several units are in the bottom of a testing pond. One APC was being driven full speed in laps around the plant when a railroad flat car was pulled across the road the road in the dark........ the rail car formed a U around the APC when everything came to rest.There was a amphibious Jeep that was modified in the 50's or 60's that towed extra fuel in a barge and circled the world in stages. The guy was sure brave and he had his wife and sometimes had another guy with him.Several years ago, I saw a DUKW hull along the road in the weeds near Sutton, West Virginia. Keep up the good work saving a part of history. Mark

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You may want to tie a 55 gallon drum on a rope as a marker if she does not want to float the first time out. A WWII veteran's story to his family was that a group of homesick troops stole a DUWK and started across Manilla Bay to boat home until they got swamped and sank in the bay. In Charleston West Virginia, they used to make FMC armored personnel carriers and local lore says several units are in the bottom of a testing pond. One APC was being driven full speed in laps around the plant when a railroad flat car was pulled across the road the road in the dark........ the rail car formed a U around the APC when everything came to rest.There was a amphibious Jeep that was modified in the 50's or 60's that towed extra fuel in a barge and circled the world in stages. The guy was sure brave and he had his wife and sometimes had another guy with him.Several years ago, I saw a DUKW hull along the road in the weeds near Sutton, West Virginia. Keep up the good work saving a part of history. Mark
We have a good plan I think. When the fellers are confident the DUKW will float we will take her down to the boat ramp not even a mile away. While they are making their last minute checks etc., I will have a crew hooking both cables of my 50ton wrecker to the DUKW!!;-)

When they think they are ready we will "free wheel" the winches on the wrecker and let them enter the water up to 150ft...there are 200ft of cable...but who wants to take chances?:roll:

If all goes well...we will detach the cables and let er rip!!

OH...guess who will be on the nice dry boat ramp working the wrecker/winches cause he can't swim?:papabear:

Of course...this all will happen later down the road.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will like the 302 in the DUKW it bolts right in and even looks stock as the 270 and 302 share a lot. Mine was put in by the army sometime in the late 50s as a retrofit. I hope you get yours swimming and running and enjoy it a lot I did mine unfortunately I cannot use it now I just am not in good enough shape to keep up with the maintenance and even climbing in it is hard. I just hope it goes to a good home. Eddy

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will like the 302 in the DUKW it bolts right in and even looks stock as the 270 and 302 share a lot. Mine was put in by the army sometime in the late 50s as a retrofit. I hope you get yours swimming and running and enjoy it a lot I did mine unfortunately I cannot use it now I just am not in good enough shape to keep up with the maintenance and even climbing in it is hard. I just hope it goes to a good home. Eddy

Hope that things get better and you are able to enjoy the old girl for some time to come!

God bless
Tony

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I am doing fine just cannot keep up with all the toys I have and we are downsizing. I have a dozen MVs for sale in the classified under thinning the herd. I will keep a jeep and one truck just to play with but I just cannot keep on top of everything anymore. Eddy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a way to test them before taking them out in the water:

http://www.bsrecreationalfarm.com/photo.html

pressure_test_22010_002.jpg

Leak checking by duck taping (get it?) a blue tarp over the hull, pressurizing with the discharge from a shop vac, then spraying soapy water on the external surfaces. Guaranteed to float

I'll come help when you guys get to the float stage. I assume BabyBear wants to go, right?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick progress report. Troy asked if he could roll the DUKW on it's side so he could easily get to the last remaining rusted out spots and of course I said OK. It's also a good time to go thru everything on the bottom side before we tip her back over and install the power pack.
Of course she needs all the bellows but other than the panels shown there's only minor spots to be fixed and everything else seems to be in decent shape.
Seems strange to see such big holes in a freshly painted DUKW. These holes are new spots breaking through and not noted before or was there a reason to ignore them for the moment while repainting? (Did not see/read every single post, so it might have been mentioned before).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Seems strange to see such big holes in a freshly painted DUKW. These holes are new spots breaking through and not noted before or was there a reason to ignore them for the moment while repainting? (Did not see/read every single post, so it might have been mentioned before).
Oh we knew the holes were there but we just wanted to get the rust stopped everywhere on the body and then start addressing the cancer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks