• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dump bed

sinister

anyone know anything about putting a dump kit, be it homemade or a production kit, on their duce? I think it would make the truck so much more versitile.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just use the search feature at the top of the forum page. Search dump bed, or dump conversion, some good threads about how it's done.

jeli

Unless you want to invest in new keep a look out for old trucks already with a dump. I could have had a running C60 for $300.00. It had a 10' dump. Would have been easy to strip off what you needed and sell or scrap the rest. Only reason I didn't get it was with winter on it's way I didn't have the room to store another truck.

tsmall07

alphadeltaromeo said:
http://www.crysteel.com/pld_the_deuce.html << well well well...actually it's not a real deuce application, but I guess it could be used :p
Thats cool and all, but I just don't see it being very practical...

thehaas

put a omaha standard sub frame with hoist unit under cargo bed fit perfect.electric i like separate from trans and simple to mount next to air tanks.unit can be installed in 3 days

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been slowly gathering parts to add a dump on mine. Opon inspection of the bed I don't think the bed frame rails are strong enough without renforcement. Without the dump the truck frame helps support the bed. I was thinking of boxing the channels with some 1/4" or maybe 3/8".
My other problem is the PTO drive for the pump ( I hate electric pumps). I'm adding a winch so I'm thinking about welding a sprocket on the winch driveshaft u-joint where it goes into the PTO. Mount my pump under the PTO and run a roller chain from the u-joint sprocket to the pump. I will just have to remember to disengage to winch so it won't turn while dumping. Anyone see a problem with my ideas?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a comercial scisors lift under an extra duce bed that I had and mounted it on a farm wagon that I built a subframe for. I'm going to mount one on my duce, as I get the parts rounded up. I used the smallest lift availiable. The lift Kit came with hinges, etc. It lifts & dumps a bed full of gravel - about 3 yards. I power it with tractor hydrolics - Get the double acting one - about $1200, new. If you put side boards on it, you would need the next size lift. The bed is plenty strong enough!

I'm looking for the PTO that mounts on top of the T-case, to power the Hydrolic pump, for the lift. In farm country, the lift stuff is availiable at the truck body places that farmers use on their trucks to haul grain on.

Lee in Alaska

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty said:
......My other problem is the PTO drive for the pump ( I hate electric pumps). I'm adding a winch so I'm thinking about welding a sprocket on the winch driveshaft u-joint where it goes into the PTO. Mount my pump under the PTO and run a roller chain from the u-joint sprocket to the pump. I will just have to remember to disengage to winch so it won't turn while dumping. Anyone see a problem with my ideas?

Hey inventor! What about using the correct double output tranny PTO? Model # is WND-7-28
Or get the single output (front winch) WN-7-28 and install the rear section of the 5ton PTO which is more common. Both rear outputs are identical.
See pic.The rear can be engaged independently from the front. If you have the 3053A transmission your pump will be turning at approx. same speed as engine RPM, (3052 gives 65%)

G.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube, As you know a deuce dual output PTO is as scarce as hens teeth and expensive when you find one. I didn't know you could take 5-ton parts and make a dual deuce PTO. I'll have to check into that.
MilitaryRestoration, When you said 5-ton hyd. you got me to thinking. I wonder if you could use a 5-ton power steering pump for the hoist? It would run all the time of course and I don't know if it would have enough GPM but it would be an easy install. Has anyone ever thought about this?

JohnnyReb

pa.rich said:
Get aM51A2 ! It has a much stronger body, it wont bend. Yes there are kits available for 2500 to 3K, but you still have the lighter gauge steel of the military troop carrier. and its electric, which turns me off.
I have the electric on mine and would not trade for a hydralic. Had several dump trucks over the years....always trying to back up or reposition while lifting, or not lifting the bed.....riding the clutch...forgetting to dis-engage PTO....wondering why the bed stopped lifting when I am holding in the clutch to stop moving, etc.......

Electric makes the operation of the lift independent of engine speed, clutch...etc. Can even position the bed without starting the truck...Also love the remote feature... can exit the truck and look at the load while running the lift...

Only real drawback is the speed of the lift. It would cost you a couple of runs per day if you are working commercial.... but for occasional use...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks