• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump Conversion

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I was still editing and adding pics, got timed out once.
Dennis

Last edited:

painkiller

this whole dump bed conversion got me thinking of ( not that i would do this to my truck ) but take a deuce make a dump bed but have it extend out like some flat bed tow trucks get some tire chains get a electric winch at the front and just winch your jeep or something right up to the bed providing that it would fit, could come in handy for other uses as well

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would work real nice! I had a guy that was interested in the pipeline winch for a spell. He was going to mount it to the frame and chop a hole in the bed for it to stick up through. That would have had lots of good uses. Would have worked with the dump too. A nice hydro winch mounted to the front of the bed in a dumper works too.

painkiller

yeah maybe down the line i might look into something like that get a truck thats not as in good shape as the one i have now maybe a larger bed to hold a bigger off roading truck or something, because triple A wont tow ya when your way out in the sticks :)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the hoses installed, filled up the tank, and made the bed go up and down. Working on the cable for the valve. Going to use what I have laying around, have some old lawn mower cables that should work, and a choke cable out of an old truck.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has crossed my mind. Adding another valve and a set of quick connects wouldn't be that hard. Not sure about running a log splitter, seems like overkill to use a duece. Maybe run a snow plow?
Dennis

Last edited:

Clem1226

if you where to add the Quick connects you should try to get ahold of the tool kit off a SEE truck. They have a hydro impact, chainsaw, jackhammer...and a few other goodies that I cant quite recall.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for the compliments. When you pay more attention to your hobby than to your girlfriend (wife, partner, etc.) (...that's what they think!!...) and work day and night on weekends just to finish one upgrade chapter something useful should come out! ….and children need toys…
I’m posting some more pics and comments covering different areas of this conversion. I tried hard to keep everything simple (stupid!?) (see Ugg’s KISS principle). For the looks spare tire, rear bumpers and pintle hook had to remain in place and it had to be easy and safe to operate, not only for the owner.

The components I used were the only ones available in our small country. The telescopic cylinder I found is designed for light truck applications but it only extends 4 foot. To reach 50º angle I had to mount it behind the double cross member. Ideally it should extend 5 foot and be mounted right in front of the same for better weight distribution and to avoid interference when it tilts forward.

The pump comes with no input shaft bearing to be mounted directly on a std. PTO. So I had to create an additional housing plus extra bearing, seal and shaft for the yoke. The pump has all required safety features, a lever & cable actuated bypass valve. It is the smallest size they sell for agricultural equipment. But with a capacity of 8 gal per minute at 800 rpm the bed goes up almost to fast towards the end of travel (short volume of final segments). Total volume of cylinder is less than 2 gallons.

The space behind the driver seat was used for a flat 3 gal reservoir with filler cap, filter and vent. For light duty operation that much oil should be enough.

Considering that this bed is not designed to work on a dumper the frame rails had to be reinforced and an additional weight distribution support welded in place. It is still flexible enough.

Hopefully this helps others to find their own solutions building something that adds in value and usage of our preferred toys.

Gerhard

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks