• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump Conversion

nap159

Here is a few pictures of a dump conversion my brother and I recently finished.
The truck works great. The box dumps at a 45 degree angle. Plenty far for gravel. I've hauled 5 loads so far with the truck without any problems. The box could use taller sideboards though. 5 ton of gravel fills it up over the tailgate. I suspect the truck is capable of hauling far more than the 10,000 lb highway rating. It has plenty of power to move down the road.

The cylinders are 4" x 45". The hydraulic pump is a 14 gpm that was borrowed off another truck. The pump runs off a chelsea pto and driveshaft. Very easy install.
The c channel rails of the box were fitted with 3 x 5 1/4 wall tubing. The cylinders push on another 3 x 5 tube to transfer the weight. The hinges are the same tubing with a bushing we machined out that crosses the entire tube and welded into place.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What's your plan for the pioneer rack? I see you trimmed the front to clear the rear of the cab.

jatonka

Yes, if you have a source for the PTOs, please let us know. The conversion looks great, I have been doing them with scissors hoists instead of dual cylinders, I like your setup very much. Stay at 5 tons, your suspension will last longer. nice job. JT out

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, how much does it cost to do something like this?

Thanks
It all depends.
If you buy everything new and pay somebody to install it can run into several thousand dollars.

You can usually find an old civilain dump in a junkyard and get everything you need (except maybe PTO) for around $500 or so.

Or you can do like I did and gather a few parts here and there and do a little "horse trading" to get everything you need. While I haven't installed the dump yet I've got all the parts. I had a few scrap guys that owed me favors so I've got a hoist, pump, rear hinges, and PTO for basicly nothing :-D. I'll have a few hundred in it before I'm done because I'm going to have to do some fab work and small things like hoses, fittings, and such will have to be purchased.

nap159

Well i paid about $300 for the steel to reinforce the bed rails and make the hinges, $250 each for the cylinders, I had the pump, tank, and driveshaft, I had to buy a valve with a relief in it for about $80. I probably got about $100 in hoses and fittings.

I found the pto on another junk truck. I need to find another one though for a different truck that will be our summer project. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

The pioneer rack did have to be shortened a bit. I don't have any of the tools that go on there anyways. We decided to keep most of it so the truck would still look somewhat original. We did have to move the air tanks to the outside of the frame, but it is very easy to drain them now!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The June 2007 MVM had an article about dumps. Some of the pics showed PSP(perforated steel planking) added to the bed rails to add some height. I think it looked good. Might let the gravel slip through though. You COULD try to find a deuce bed someone is going to scrap(like from a bob job) and cut the bed sides off to weld on top of your originals. Just some more of my random thoughts. :cookoo::shock:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sideboards.....................

Attachments

nap159

Still working on pics of the pto and driveshaft. I'm not very computer savvy so uploading the pictures is quite a challenge!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I have the control valve, linkage, pump and PTO shifter off a deuce dump. This junk coupled with a rear PTO and your hoist would make a nice tipper with the ability to raise, float and lower all with one lever.

1stDeuce

Now that is a very clean hinge design!! I was going to try to mount something off the bumperettes, but I I don't think I will after looking things over some and reading that they're spring steel.
Thought about turning the rear shackle mounts upsidedown as a pivot point, but the three bolts will be on the light side for heavier loads, and pin size is kinda small I think.

Gringeltaube has a very nice design, but it looks a tad complex for me to make. Your design is very simple, but I'd have to re-locate the tow shackles inboard... Easy enough I think... Did you use a 1" pin? I would think some 1" Sched 80 would make a nice pivot inside the tubing...

Thanks for sharing pics!
C

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
still looking for any ideas to get a little more weight in the box..anybody use sideboards for hauling gravel?
Without side boards, a full load of gravel is 7-8 tons. That is overloaded, and all I will put on the truck. Truck is rated for 5 tons on road.

nap159

The pins are 1 1/4", They are hardened to beat the band, i couldn't shorten the ones i've got...Our old c-70 Chevy dump has 1 1/2" pins. That truck has dumped 20 tons for me without any problems for years now. The cylinders I got very cheap from a guy in St. Paul, the hard part was finding a reasonably priced tool to cut 2" holes for the cylinder pins. I found an annular cutter from Mississippi Welder Supply for around $100. A lot of cash up front, but I had to make 4 CLEAN holes through 1/2" plate. With the our mill set at 180 rpm, and a lot of coolant, it cut right through it! I spend almost $60 on Dewalt holesaws and only got through 3/4 of one hole. I have now hauled about 15 loads with the truck without any problems at all. Except my ears are ringing from the straight exhaust!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks