• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump Conversion

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is the chelsea pto something we can find off old grain trucks? got any #'s on it?
You may run across one on a civilain truck but it's not very likely. What you'll have to find is a civilain truck with a 3052 trans (3053s were never put into civilain trucks). It's going to be much easier to find either a military dual output PTO or a t-case PTO. Chelsea has deemed the PTO that fits the deuce obsolete and is no longer available new. I did have the part number but don't know where it is at the moment.

The bottom line is, look for a truck with a 3052 trans. If the PTO is bolted to a 3052 it will work. Any other trans and it won't work.

nap159

I dont have the numbers on hand but I will get it and post it, I took the pto off a junked deuce sitting on the frame rails. On a side note I hauled another 20 loads with the truck last week. It works great. It is a little slow with 5 ton on it, but A LOT cheaper than having someone else haul. I saved almost $600 in one week alone! Wondering if there was any interest in converting other deuces to dump trucks??? I'm going to be laid off soon and would have a lot of time AND NEED for these projects.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a dump also and unless I'm hauling just dirt or very fine rock, I'm very careful about placing the material in the bed. The bed floor is very thin for this type of work and if you're not careful you'll be able to see where every crossmember is in the bed in a short time. You can also crack crossmembers by dropping big rock, steel, and wood into the bed.

If I'm hauling big rock or some other big/heavy material, I'll lower the loader bucket as close to the bed as possible and let the material "slide" out of the bucket onto the bed. after you have the bed floor covered you can load as usual without damaging the bed. It's also good to "pad" the bed with some small material if you can before adding the bigger stuff.

nap159

The floor is holding up fine so far hauling 1" minus gravel. I would imagine if you were to haul rip rap it would be best to load gently. The loader operator would probably know this though and not drop it from well above the bed. One bucket from the loader fills it up nicely with gravel. I'm not too concerned about the floor getting beat up. This is a working truck, not a show truck.

One feature I would like to add would be to figure out a top hinge design to allow the use of spreader chains on the bottom of the gate. That would be a nice feature for driveways.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One feature I would like to add would be to figure out a top hinge design to allow the use of spreader chains on the bottom of the gate. That would be a nice feature for driveways.
I've got that figured out. It would be easier for me to take some pics than to explain my design. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Racky

Very nice conversion I just mounted a 12v electric hydraulic scissor hoist on my deuce I made the hinge I just need to finish the trailer receiver part when I get that done Ill post some pictures I also installed a muffler and was the best thing I could have done.

fasttruck

WW2 cckw dumps had a partion in the body to limit the material that could be loaded to protect from overloading the truck chassis or the hoist. I think a yard oif gravel weighs 3000 pounds so adding sideboards should allow for rapid overloading of the chassis or the hoist. Now if you are hauling ping pong balls or fluff that is a different story.

tm america

Here's some pics of mine.i boxed the bed rails,scissors unit is a 30ton off a old grain truck i got for 600. i made the tanks and the pump is from northern tool it is a 12 high volume unit..I've had over 40000lbs in the bed it dupmed it without a problem. although i was blowing out tires when i was still running the 9.00s.now i have no issues with the 15.5s.I have about 800bucks in my dump setup.and it has paid for itself 100 times over.oh ya i use mine with the troop seats for side boards.mine are fiberglass and i'm amazed the beating they hold up to.

Attachments

Last edited:

nap159

tm america, what tires are you speaking of??? I still have the 9.00 20's. I have had no problems yet with them. I'm sure with 20 ton in the bed that would cause problems. What were you hauling that weighed that much? I would love to see some pics of other loads being hauled in your deuces. I will post some pics tomorrow of the deuce pulling our john deere 450b crawler..that is if I can figure out my digital camera!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks