• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump truck suggestions...

Bighurt

I'm considering adding a Dump truck to the collection. Many of my jobs this year seam to benefit from having a dump truck which I don't currently own. While it probably makes more sense to by a civi version I'd like to keep the military truck theme growing.

So I'm looking for M817's although I am not opposed to M929's. I'm also considering buying a M813 or M925 making it a dump bed. For that matter I'm also considering making my M35 bed dump.

For now I'd like to simple compare the two dump trucks and get current/former owner/user perspectives on the two trucks. If there are any M917 owners feel free to chime in as well.

After my headache with my last (ongoing) recovery I'm leaning towards private party/dealer transaction. This will be a 2012 purchase so I'm just getting a game plan together now.

Would love to hear opinions on the various positive and negatives to each version. Please refrain from snide remarks on my buying habits and other personal attacks.

Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think the 817 with troop seats and cargo cover is one of the toughest looking trucks out there! You didn't say how much you needed to haul/dump, but converting one of those 105s would be handy as heck.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have a m817,I love it but it is underpowered and the bed is small for dirt work.I just built a M916 dump for more power and capacity.I have also built 4 other dumps using M813s and put commercial dump bodys on them.I guess it all depends on how much you are going to use it and how much you want to spend,I hope this helps you make your decision,and does not confuse you.

dozer1

Hey Jeremy. I havent had a chance to use my dump truck yet, but since an opinion is like an ummm well you know what, I got one. Right away I like how high the 817 dumps. I can't see anything hanging up in that thang. I like how it steers compared to the M35 conversion idea. Steers like a dream. If using a dump truck day in and day out was the backbone of your business, I would go with the newer bigger models of military dump truck or civy version like you mentioned. If you need one once in awhile to fill in some voids I am going with the M817. Not that I am impartial or anything [thumbzup]

Bighurt

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sorta partial to sticking with a dump version and mod it to be unique, or at least my styling.

Gimp, I'm already getting stuff together to make a 105 dump.

For me I don't need a lot of material in the load so the two I listed make perfect sense. I do like CCE's M920 with a commercial dump body, I may have to consider that as a viable option. This season outdoor work looks to be mostly roofing and some minor landscape jobs. Most of the in town stuff it's easy enough to simple get a roll off dropped at the sight. However deliever and roll off rental for stuff out of town will get kinda spendy.

Defentely leaning towards a M817 with 53's...LOL

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Put a wet kit on the M915 and buy a civy dump trailer .....if you buy another truck you will have the added expense of tags and insurance.

There is the comfort factor of the M915 too......M817's are loud, slow and frigging hot in the summer.

I agree with jcappeljr.....the M817 doesn't haul a lot at one time.

But....... you could buy a M817 with a bad engine and make a dump trailer out of it.....then you would still have the military look. Yank the engine/tranny/TF case/ front axle out of it.....weld on a 5th wheel plate and boogie. The air over hydrolic brakes on the M817 are compatable with the M915 air system.

Since (to the best of my knowledge) the military never had a semi-dump trailer it would be one of those "if they had built it" concepts. The cool factor would be there.

Just my rambling thoughts for what they are worth.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OR a M917, will give you more comfort, speed, load

Last edited:

lankyevilme

We are farmers, and had an 817. It was so darn heavy that we had to put a $810 plate on it to legally haul the same amount as our civilian dumps that had $450 plates. The bed is small enough that it wouldn't really haul any more than a civilian truck without modification. We don't go into the fields if it is really muddy, though, so if we were trying to go off road on big hills and deep mud, then the 817 might make more sense. If you are going to be on road, keep in mind that a civilian truck weighs about 1/2 as much, so you can haul a heck of a lot more legally with it.

I think wreckerman has the right idea with the dump trailer for the 915A1. You can haul 3x as much with semi/dump trailer as an 817, and you already have already paid for the license plate on the semi. That's what I'd do. Also ditto to wreckerman on the 915 being a lot more comfortable than an 817.

Last edited:

Bighurt

See that's what I love about this forum. I completely forgot about a dump trailer...I can snag those for dirt cheap and register them for even cheaper. Then Mil it up...

See just like I though....addicted to trailers!

Attachments

Last edited:

lankyevilme

If you go fact-finding about wet kits for the 915A1, share what you find out with the forum. I may want to do that someday. I wonder if a guy could get a pto from someone who is scrapping a 916/920 and use that as a wet kit?

Bighurt

If you go fact-finding about wet kits for the 915A1, share what you find out with the forum. I may want to do that someday. I wonder if a guy could get a pto from someone who is scrapping a 916/920 and use that as a wet kit?
If you had a M915 then yes M915A1 has the allison...

Depending on my research I may just use a remote. IE wet kit on the trailer...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone needs fiberglass troop seats, bows, or even the complete cargo cover kits for 5 ton dumps, I've got them. Only replying with this info in a thread because people indicated they were looking for them.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With regard to buying a dump, I'd recommend in order an M817 (cheapest...can't believe how the prices have dropped), an M917 (hauling 20 tons at a time is nice), and then an M929 (the roomier cab and Allison automatic make operation nice). I really like the M929s and have one, but they are hard to find and expensive. Figure $20K+ for an M929. I paid $13K for mine at auction several years back on GL...$13K!!! But, I had to have it.

Danger Ranger

I want to thank BigHurt for starting this thread, it is very informative and interesting.

My question is why no one has mentioned the M51, is there a specific reason besides the fact it is older than the M817? Just curious, not really a proponent of it.

The semi dump trailer would be cool for the M915, could go civi and mod, like stated, or is it reasonable or even possible to mod a military flatbed to a dump? Probably too much work, but it would be unique.

dozer1

Farm Truck

We are farmers, and had an 817. It was so darn heavy that we had to put a $810 plate on it to legally haul the same amount as our civilian dumps that had $450 plates. The bed is small enough that it wouldn't really haul any more than a civilian truck without modification. We don't go into the fields if it is really muddy, though, so if we were trying to go off road on big hills and deep mud, then the 817 might make more sense. If you are going to be on road, keep in mind that a civilian truck weighs about 1/2 as much, so you can haul a heck of a lot more legally with it.

I think wreckerman has the right idea with the dump trailer for the 915A1. You can haul 3x as much with semi/dump trailer as an 817, and you already have already paid for the license plate on the semi. That's what I'd do. Also ditto to wreckerman on the 915 being a lot more comfortable than an 817.

Thats a good point about the licence being excessively high because of the excessive weight of the 817. Other then that, I too am a farmer and if I could haul enough gravel in one load to fix my driveway, the only thing the truck would be good for is rallies and parades. Thats why I personally was not concerned about it taking say 4 trips to the quarry instead of 2. That will give me a chance to use it some. Also as a farm truck with farm plates here in Mn. anyway, I can licence it quarterly and at least take the winter off. Might only licence it 2 quarters . March thu August. Lot of variables huh Jeremy? Truck price, practical vs. hobby, capacity, amount of use, on and on...........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks