• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East Coast Snowmegedden 2016

3rdmdqm

Anyone have any pics of their Deuce out and about in the blizzard this weekend?
And a question, short of putting chains on the deuce, how do you get them to get traction and move through heavy/deep snow? Would be pretty embarrassing to be stuck in a Deuce spinning wheels while little Hondas and Toyotas are getting around fine. Air down the tires? Load the cargo bed with weight?

WV New Guy

Chains and Weight or it will end up like mine but the only thing moving in and about our roads has been Graders with V-Plows and Chains and a couple super big John Deere Tractors with 4x4 and chains if you want to see one almost sitting on its side check out my post from Saturday .

pitpawten

Also something I was reminded of when suggesting a load of firewood for traction weight in a pickup..."Whatever you put in the bed is coming out violently in the event of an accident onto you and or others around you".

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I got plenty of pics of my John Deere 410 4x4 backhoe pushing snow,,with chains...

Last edited:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Though not this winter, and not in the northeast, I've spent some time on snow and ice while behind the wheel of a deuce....some cargo trucks, some heavier variants, some very heavy.

Stopping is a much bigger deal than going - and for that, chains (in my experience) are the only way to go.

This is something that I had suspected, but feeling a lazy a few years ago, I skipped the chaining up step. A few minutes later, as I rode, almost helplessly, the deuce and it drifted toward small frame house (someone else's home), I resolved to always use chains in the future.

Fortunately, the 9.00-20s caught (aided by a curb), which coupled with the modest speed I was traveling, avoided an unplanned demolition job.

While not directly "stopping" - it was certainly another good reason to use the chains.

Best,
David Doyle
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Here is what my 5 ton looked like during the storm. Was going to take it out the next morning (Sunday) but while warming up noted a high pressure in the air system, no wipers or horn. Determined from info on this site it was the PPV valve. Must have been iced up. Thawed it out Monday and every worked fine. Ordered a new one so replacement with a new drier is in near future.

AZK9

During the big snowstorm that hit much of the east coast, where I was in South Jersey..... we got over a
foot of the white stuff early. Soon... that all quickly got pounded away by a HEAVY rain and wind event.

We had more tree branches fall than snowflakes! Well... kinda! What little snow we did get was blown all
around and didn't ever amount to very much.

Snow-M35-2016-002-50.jpg

So... for many folks around here (in my immediate area) it was not much of a snowstorm. Coastal flooding
was our problem!

Now, up the road... towards Fort Dix area and Philly... they got a lot of snow. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks