• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

cucvrus

DSCF3545.jpgDSCF3546.jpgI needle blasted, wire wheeled, used the rotary scuff pads on the bed and then hand scuffed the entire bottom surface. I washed it down with DX330 wax a grease remover. Blew compressed air and used my back pack blower. I was satisfied with the results. Not perfect but better then 99% I see. DSCF3549.jpgAll primed and then tomorrow if the weather holds out I will be spraying it with a good coated of Rusfree under coating. I love that stuff. Makes a nice job of old metal and protects for years.

cucvrus

Weather is NOT holding out here in Pennsylvania. Oh well. Time to clean the workbench, seal and paint some small parts. Lots of parts to paint yet. the bed floor is primed and will be there when the weather changes again. At this point I am overwhelmed with projects. Stay focused set a reasonable goal. Meet and when possible exceed it. No problem. Have a great day.

cucvrus

Got all the tools cleaned up and put away. sanded and hammered on the rear bumper. Swept 1/2 the floor and then called it quits for the night. I was over doing it. Goal met.

cucvrus

DSCF3550.jpgStarted out the evening after work project by blowing off the underside of the M1008 cargo bed. DSCF3551.jpgTaped up the edges covered the outer surface and sprayed 2 gallons of undercoating on the entire lower surfaces. Looks really good. Might last another 30 years. Let it sit a few days and get it back in the barn to spray the front outside bed wall and edge paint it. Glad the interior of the box don't need sanded. going to get that sprayed in Line X. Also having the interior cab floor and kick panels Line X ed. Have a nice evening. More progress tomorrow after work.

cucvrus

More progress

While others sat around complaining all day. My Son and I got busy on the M1008 project. DSCN0724.jpgDSCN0725.jpgDSCN0726.jpgDSCN0727.jpgDSCN0728.jpgThen we went over to the farm and snooped around in the lower barn to look at our up and coming project. I will start another post on that when the time comes. This is the day it left and it has been gone for 8 years now. The reason i was looking was to see what type of seat bases I need. I am hoping the 1 piece pedestal type. But if I chop the roof off I can use the 1974 low back seats and A pillar. Getting close. But how close I do not know yet.

Attachments

cucvrus

Not sure why the BMW picture is there. But a word to the wise. do NOT buy BMW's. It was a trade and I practically got it for nothing. It was the biggest PITA i ever had. it took a prayer meeting to get a starter on it. That is about all I will say about that. It did sell and show a profit.DSCF3568.jpgDSCF3569.jpgDSCF3570.jpgIt was almost one of them days. As we attempted to right the bed it wanted to fall and crush my Son. it was raining earlier and he lost his grip. He used his head to cushion the load as it crashed down. the bed is damage free and his head is still attached so all ended well. I think I needed to add more accelerator to the sealer. Or the humidity is high today. It seems to take a long time to dry. I want to edge paint the green today. It's early but it's also late. All will end well. The Son part was a little light hearted joke. He is fine. Have a great day. The fall weather is coming quickly. Time to get the vehicles ready for the long winter that's coming. I hope for lots of snow.

Another Ahab

Not sure why the BMW picture is there. But a word to the wise. do NOT buy BMW's. It was a trade and I practically got it for nothing. It was the biggest PITA i ever had. it took a prayer meeting to get a starter on it. That is about all I will say about that. It did sell and show a profit.
Any BMW up to and before the 2005 model year is overall a good bet. BMNW used to build good cars.

But I agree with you on any of the BMW's built since then.

They are really no worse than anything else out there on the road, but up to 2005 they were something special. 2cents

cucvrus

Yes all was well with the stashed M1009. After 8 years in storage in cranked up.DSCF3579.jpgDSCF3581.jpgDSCF3582.jpgIt is as I left it. 52 K miles and needs a minimum of body work. Great candidate for the chop top. 1 minor set back. This was a re-cored Harrison radiator I had fixed 8 years ago. Scrap. Autozone still has my favoritesDSCF3580.jpg. Plastic tanks aluminum fin. I think it is a reaction from the steel and brass/copper being so close to each other. It was new coolant when I parked it. This is an easy fix vehicle. Mean while paint is drying on my M1008 project. Tomorrow the bed will be back on the chassis again. DSCF3583.jpgDSCF3584.jpgDSCF3585.jpgI didn't want to stick around and watch paint dry so I closed the barn and went up to the house . Must get rest have another week at my regular job. Good thing was the M1009 I have stored has the single piece seat pedestals.DSCF3555.jpgNot that is matters that much. I am going to have the 1974 low back bucket seat reupholstered and use them in my project. That just made another M1009 worth more because I cut this one up. Not really I bought this at a scrap sale 20 years ago. Have a great work week. And a few of you guys are waiting for parts to ship out to you. I think Wednesday is the magic day to get that done.

cucvrus

Bed is back on and all body panels aligned. All body, cab and cargo bed bolts tight.

DSCF3586.jpgDSCF3587.jpgAll in a nights work. Cleaned the shop and backed the truck back inside. Hope to do the paint job on Saturday. A bit of sanding and scuffing and should be on schedule. DSCF3043.jpgJune 2017. Slow but sure. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

I had a post deleted. Not sure why. I will repost some more progress pictures. I have the Tuesday new tail gate install and a few more pictures of all the bumper braces and brackets that I prepped for paint. I was able to find a like new spare tire carrier in my stash of parts. Still had the Fort Gordon Georgia clay on it from the mid 90's. Cleaned up like new. Last night was a step in the right direction. 95% sanded. I will need to scuff and clean up the shop and hope to do the paint work on Saturday. I post these builds to inspire not agitate people. I am doing this in a rural neighborhood. I do it in a barn and barn yard. I do NOT have a fancy shop or expensive equipment. Just a drive and desire to get things done as well as I can do them with the equipment and knowledge I have. So I hope that my experience and knowledge is helpful to anyone. Just helping one person to go in the right direction is good enough for me. But many CUCV's I have rescued from an early fate. Poor workmanship hacked up wiring and fuel systems. I never deliberately destroyed any CUCV's. Looking back I scrapped a few that had no paperwork and for the most part if it could be saved I saved it. From this point forward. I will continue to show (post) positive results as best I can from my country barn yard. I raised pigs, goats,chickens in this barn and most mornings when I open the doors of this 19 th century barn I can still smell a hint of the stock that was housed here over the years. As always have a great day and use your time wisely. Time is like money well spent if you spend your time doing the right things. You will see wealth and progress. It is a simple task. Have a Great Day.

Another Ahab

As always have a great day and use your time wisely. Time is like money well spent if you spend your time doing the right things. You will see wealth and progress. It is a simple task. Have a Great Day.
Well, yeah, sometimes. You're right about that cucvrus!

But then it's worth remembering the Book of Job, too. Out of no fault of your own it'll all go wrong.

Sometimes it's just a tough row-to-hoe. :doh::shrugs:

cucvrus

DSCF3588.jpgDSCF3589.jpgDSCF3590.jpgTuesday night before my vacation. This is a new gate. Used the ratchet straps to pull the gate opening into alignment. That was easy. More progress later. I came home for lunch and loaded my smoker with some pork. Getting ready for a party this weekend. Have a great day. Don't waste this wonderful weather. Soon it will be. DSCF2593 (1).jpgThe most wonderful time of the year.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Last night was on target. I reinstalled the cowl screen after not thinking that thru so well. You know you can't get that on with the hood in place? I knew that and disregarded it. I spent a half hour unbolting the 2 rear bolts on the hinges and tilting the hood forward and getting the cowl screen back in place. I painted it separate. I scuffed it again and re aligned the hood. Taped all the door jambs, tailgate jambs and covered the under hood area completely. All the glass is removed and cardboard fillers are in place to close the openings. IMHO the pinch welds in the windshield and back window are in need of more paint and attention then 80% of the rest of the truck. Them jambs and pinch welds are rust havens. I do a lot of taping and re taping. Over spray and parts painted that are not supposed to be body color make your entire job look bad. Like 99% of a paint job is prep work. Most guys are not willing to pay or go thru the extra effort to prevent over spray and do a proper job. My night was interrupted by lawn mowing and a wrecker call for an accident. So after work today I will have to hustle to meet the deadline. I have a deadline and other projects waiting. Great weather for projects and getting done what needs to get done. 1 more month till the Rausch Creek Fall 2017 October 21, 2017 RC Outcasts off road fun. Have a great day. Don't waste it. They are counting down to cold and wet weather coming for sure. I hope for lots of snow and more snow.

cucvrus

Went to work at 0500 today. Started a weed Whacker and finished whacking at 1215. Was home and the truck was waiting for paint. Sprayed the sealer and went outside and cleaned the gun and mixed up the Green , Brown , and Black. Sprayed 2 coats of green and time for lunch. That is now. This is lunch time. I have 1 more coat of green and then the brown and black go on. This is all from the barn bay of a farm. Not a paint booth. Everything looks great so far. This has been excellent weather for painting. I have an M1009 roof and stock tailgate to paint also next week to get it on the Mule M1009 as I get it ready for the new owner.DSCF3591.jpgDSCF3592.jpgDSCF3593.jpgDSCF3594.jpgDSCF3595.jpgDSCF3596.jpgDSCF3597.jpgDSCF3598.jpgDSCF3599.jpgThe cargo bed and the cab floor are getting done in Line X. Nice straight original tailgate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks