• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

cucvrus

DSCF3262.jpgDo your sway bar bushings look like this? DSCF3258.jpgDSCF3257.jpgThese are the replacement sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension. You can buy the on Amazon of course. These are easy to replace. I replace the 4 - DSCF3261.jpgDSCF3260.jpgDSCF3259.jpg7/16" bolts washers and nuts that mount the sway bar to the frame up front. On the spring plates I use the OEM bolts and washers over. The bolts must have a flat washer on the outside and the inside of the sway bar. Energy suspension sends a small tube of lube and it has enough to lube the bushings and the bolts to reinstall them. Good Luck. have a great day. I hope this is helpful.

cucvrus

DSCF3268.jpgDSCF3267.jpgDSCF3266.jpgI installed the starter back onto the M1008 project. I routed the positive battery cable in the correct mounts on the oil pan. Many times i see these cables all routed and tangled up in harms way. I have the sway bar nuts loose because I did NOT have any 7/16" nylok nuts that I could find. Moving right along. I want to set the cab on Saturday afternoon. I have a few more things to do before doing that. Wiper transmission, transmission lines, heater box, main light harness to rear tail-lamps, Fuel tank sending unit and the rubber fuel lines. Etc Etc Etc. What ever else I see. I have been painting the barn and out building roofs this week also. I will post my progress on the M1008. Everything is coming along slow but nicely.

cucvrus

Jonestown CUCV assembly line ran a full 8 hour shift today. Worker attendance was low as usual. I have the cab fully assembled at the firewall and ready to go back on the chassis. I cleaned and painted evry part that I reinstalled on the cab. Slow but sure progress was made. DSCF3272.jpgthis is the cab when I started this morning. DSCF3277.jpgDSCF3273.jpgDSCF3276.jpgThis is the cab as I left it tonight. I quit wrking early cause I started early. I finished painting the out out building roof. I woke to pouring rain had 8 hours of sun and closed the garage in pouring rain again. DSCF3278.jpgI installed the transmission cooler lines and the belts are all on again. I have a simple task to morrow. Set the cab on the chassis. I am all ready. Have a great day. DSCF3275.jpg

cucvrus

Another busy day. I was in the shop most of the morning and then made a trip for lunch and the YOUPULLIT. I seen a K20 Suburban on the rollback heading to the YOUPULLIT. I was there like a shot.DSCF3287.jpgDSCF3295.jpgNice right door on the K20 Suburban and a left fender on another Suburban. Big time score. DSCF3286.jpgI opened up a boxed drivers door that was painted with CARC and scuff sanded it. DSCF3288.jpgDSCF3289.jpgFound a small bit of damage on the front edge of the YOUPULLIT door. Shame the used door was a power door. I set the old M1008 doors aside for use on another project that is not as nice. DSCF3280.jpgShoved the chassis out the door first thing this AM. Then the work began.

cucvrus

DSCF3283.jpgJust like that an empty swept shop.
DSCF3279.jpgDSCF3281.jpgDSCF3282.jpgDSCF3284.jpgDSCF3285.jpgThe entire remount of the cab took about 1/2 an hour. My Wife was summoned to operate the controls on the wrecker. I spent more time today playing with the wonderful A C Delco oil cooler lines ten I did mounting the cab. I did some fancy talking while I loosened and bent and pried on the bracket and lines. They were very close to the shift linkage and I did not like how they were positioned. DSCF3292.jpgDSCF3291.jpgDSCF3290.jpgI am NOT sure if you can see the clearance in the pictures. That is about as good as it gets. Also the transfer case shift linkage had a broken cotter pin and that was NOT very cooperative. Got it and had 95% of the wiring back on the cab and engine. DSCF3294.jpgI left it like this and called it a day. I see it will be running soon. Next week is undecided at this time. Have a great day. I hope your day was a successful as mine. Moving right along.

Attachments

Another Ahab

There's a truck door hanging on the side of your "motor" barn.

I can't magnify the image enough to read it.

What does the writing on the door say?

cucvrus

There's a truck door hanging on the side of your "motor" barn.

I can't magnify the image enough to read it.

What does the writing on the door say?
DSCF2983.jpgDSCF7654.jpgDSCF7655.jpgI bought the door at a local sale for $25. I wanted the Studebaker truck tail gate they had but it seemed like they held off selling that till I left. I heard it brought $100. I would have paid that. But who knows where guy that paid $100. would have stopped at? I like the old door. It is rough and rusty. Like me. I done the research. It is from a 1957 International truck. I found a brand new one in the box on E bay for $400. Mine is worth hanging on the barn. And I was happy to pay $25. for it. I have a few other automotive related items I am going to work on and hang up on the barn. When I get time. Thanks for the inquiry.

Another Ahab

View attachment 688831I bought the door at a local sale for $25. I wanted the Studebaker truck tail gate they had but it seemed like they held off selling that till I left. I heard it brought $100. I would have paid that. But who knows where guy that paid $100. would have stopped at? I like the old door. It is rough and rusty. Like me. I done the research. It is from a 1957 International truck. I found a brand new one in the box on E bay for $400. Mine is worth hanging on the barn. And I was happy to pay $25. for it. I have a few other automotive related items I am going to work on and hang up on the barn. When I get time. Thanks for the inquiry.

cucvrus, the brand new one isn't even worth the trouble.

That old $25 door of yours is a work of art.

You're one smart shopper (which is totally different from "one smart farmer"). :mrgreen:

cucvrus

I have been busy playing in MUD. Mowing grass, gathering nice parts for my M1008 project. Today I will be laying the doors, and fenders out and doing a bit of interior/edge painting. I still have a few things to do under the hood on the firewall. No Hood yet so it's technically not under the hood. I had an Isuzu and the Japanese referred to that area as the engine room. I like that so I am working in the engine room today also. I have a busy schedule. Last weekend played into my time a bit. But all is well. I want to get the core/radiator support back on this truck and get it started. Once the doors and fenders are hung I should be able to make great progress. It has been in the 90's here and that makes motivation slow. But still steady slow progress. I am not surrounded by loose parts anymore. Anytime I need a part for this truck and can't find the one I took off. I go find another one or remove it from a parts vehicle. The rogue part will show up sometime again. Nice thing is it will be warehoused in the correct area and removed from the exposure. I will post pictures later.

cucvrus

DSCF3393.jpgDSCF3394.jpgDSCF3395.jpgDSCF3396.jpgToday was NOT a total flop. It was hot and topped it off with major rain fall. That was it I called it in the bottom of the 5th. I had the doors all set up outside and painted the edges and then that was when it got all black. So I used the stretchers to move them back in the shop. It worked out and the edge painting was done. I called it early today and went in for some much needed R & R. I did manage to wed whack for 2 hours and run finish push mower around all the edges. At 90% humidity that was a task. Maybe Maybe tomorrow. No promises. Slow and steady at this point. Sweat blind and swamp ashed are not a very comfortable way to work. It ruins my concentration. More weed whacking tomorrow. Paint has time to dry this way.

cucvrus

DSCF3409.jpgDSCF3410.jpgDSCF3411.jpgDSCF3412.jpgDSCF3413.jpgDSCF3414.jpgDSCF3415.jpgDSCF3418.jpgDSCF3409.jpgDSCF3410.jpgDSCF3411.jpgDSCF3412.jpgDSCF3413.jpgDSCF3414.jpgDSCF3415.jpgDSCF3418.jpgTonight after work I did manage to get some work done on my M1008 project. Doors are hung and adjusted. And the core support has a radiator and wiring harness attached again. Moving right along. I want to it running in the next 2 weeks so I can drive it out of the garage on it's own power. I have all the front end sheet metal edge painted except the hood. And the inner fenders and battery trays are coated since last summer. I got to pick up the pace here. Right door was a score from a Suburban at the YOUPULLIT.

cucvrus

Mr Goodwrench.jpgBack to work on my project. I have had more trouble with my lawn equipment this year then I had in 30 years. It is minor stuff. But I always end up soaking wet sweated and bleeding by the time I get it back up and running. Oh well. Such is life in the bush. Ever have a pece of equipment or a vehicle that someone else thought they were smarter then the designer and changed things? Well this is the case with the mower deck I bought. It keeps throwing the belt. It was a new deck that was parted out and I bought it and the parts are not the right ones in the right places.The service manual is not much help because the sizes of the pulleys are not listed and the pictures are vague. I will figure it out eventually. A new mower cost $10K i am only $500. into this deck so I am still saving $$. I will be doing a lot of work on my M1008 project today. I will post later.

Another Ahab

It was a new deck that was parted out and I bought it and the parts are not the right ones in the right places.The service manual is not much help because the sizes of the pulleys are not listed and the pictures are vague. I will figure it out eventually. A new mower cost $10K i am only $500. into this deck so I am still saving $$. I will be doing a lot of work on my M1008 project today. I will post later.
\

So far so good.

cucvrus

DSCF3419.jpgDSCF3420.jpgDSCF3421.jpgDSCF3422.jpgDSCF3423.jpg
I was slacking off today. I only got the fenders hung, radiator support attached, Steering shaft installed, master cylinder bleed and installed, upper and lower radiator hoses installed, transmission cooler lines attached, oil/filter in the engine. Started putting transmission fluid in and called it quits for the day. I dug out the hood. It was a brand new hood 20 years ago and I painted it back then. Washed it on the under side and called it good enough. DSCF3424.jpgDSCF3425.jpgI still had other work to do and a few chain saws to sharpen. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF3443.jpgHood back on and front end aligned. The new left inner fender apron has been installed. I needed the hood on to get the core/ radiator support lined up properly. I will be taking it off to put the cowl screen on and then reinstall it the final time. Outside the door Terminus M1009 is waiting to be worked on. Back at it.

cucvrus

No pictures tonight. The report is a lot of boring hand sanding grille,bezels,grille trim moldings,slave receptacle, cowl screen, next it will be the bumpers, mirrors and brush guard. I worked on the engine compartment. I must get this running by the weekend. I still need a fuel sock for the sending unit. .

cucvrus

DSCF3479.jpgDSCF3478.jpgDSCF3477.jpgDSCF3480.jpgTonight I wanted to work a short while. I am tired. I ran new fuel lines to the sending unit and installed a new fuel sock and am working towards firing it up soon. I hope by the weekend to have it running and mobile. Time to get the cargo bed in the shop next. I also ran new heater hose and set them up in C clamps to keep them neat and tight. I am NOT a fan of the hoses laying under the battery tray and rubbing on the Generator 2.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF3481.jpgDSCF3482.jpgDSCF3483.jpgI have 4 new battery clamps. I bought the wrong size. I got 2/0 and they are too big. I will exchange them tomorrow. I should have paid attention when I was ordering them. I have the batteries installed new cable clamps on the inner fenders and the slave receptacle installed. Have a great day.

Another Ahab

View attachment 693130View attachment 693131View attachment 693132I have 4 new battery clamps. I bought the wrong size. I got 2/0 and they are too big. I will exchange them tomorrow. I should have paid attention when I was ordering them. I have the batteries installed new cable clamps on the inner fenders and the slave receptacle installed. Have a great day.
The clamp is one universal size for the terminal right?

Are you talking about the cable size that FITS the clamps?