• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

cucvrus

DSCF2500.jpgDSCF2502.jpgDSCF2501.jpgDSCF2503.jpgDSCF2505.jpgDSCF2504.jpgDSCF2506.jpgThese are 2 sets of cracked 6.2 heads. The cracks are visible between the valves in a few of the pictures. What happens is the cracks open up when the engine is warm and it leaks coolant into the combustion chamber. While I was out in my shop today I found another set of used heads. I had for many years. I have the 4th set at the machine shop. I hope they make it. I still have a few engines I can tear into if need be. But I hope not. I made another trip to the scrap yard today and I found a treasure in the scrap pile. DSCF2507.jpgDSCF2508.jpgThis was laying in a pile of scrap that was brought from some government agency. Warn model 25314 winch complete with the rollers and perfect cable. DSCF2509.jpgDSCF2510.jpgI put the spool in nuetral and unraveled all the cable. Not 1 fray. I see that someone was working it with low amperage batteries. It came apart and was dirty inside. i will be taking it to my friend that has the starter and alternator shop. It looks like a real treasure. I tipped the crane man and away it went. I guess it works out for them. I get weighed on the way in and weighed on the way out. So it is like I kept a few lbs. So all ends well for both sides. There was a pile of 20 inch combat split rims and HMMWV rims there like brand new. Big black wheels. They were not going out with me. Too obvious. Have a great day. Scrap yard digging/YOUPULLIT is like going to the mall for me.

cucvrus

A few weeks back I posted about finding this Warn winch on a scrap steel pile at the salvage yard. I tipped the operator and brought it home with me. Being that I am not a winch re-builder and I wanted it fixed properly. Not on the cheap. I wanted a good reliable winch so I sent it out to a shop and had the winch completely over hauled. I had them add a new Warn motor, solenoids and the cordless remote control system. All original Warn. No parts on the cheap. I also had the entire winch taken apart and cleaned and lubed. It may not look like a brand new winch but that is just cosmetic. The fair lead rollers are like new and the cable did not have 1 fray on it. I will probably be buying a Warn class 3 mount. For the price I doubt I can make a mount that fits and looks as good as the Warn. Once again NOT on the cheap. DSCF2547.jpgDSCF2546.jpgDSCF2549.jpgDSCF2548.jpgDSCF2550.jpgTotal cost was less then 1/2 of a new winch. Good Deal all around. Recycling really does work. i do it every day. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

I am back n the shop. I have the next 4 days to get things squared away in my garage so I can work again. I have a big tree to cut down and a few Honda lawn tractors to get into shape for the season. But during the next 4 days I hope to have the heads back on the 6.2 CUCV engine. Bonus points for getting all the parts together for my patient customers and getting the engine back into the frame. I still need some Energy Suspension motor mounts. Well there is always next week. I don't want to make big plans and fail. So I will just see how things go for now. It was a mild winter but it still takes time to get back in the swing of things. I hope to get Terminus M1009 ready for the April 22 Rausch Creek run. That should be easy. Turn the key and start it. Have a great day. I will post a few pictures later.

cucvrus

The rain has stopped. My 2016 vacation time is over. But I still managed to get the tree cut down. I called out the local CUCV Militia and we pulled it off. The yard was wet so I pulled the chipper with the Crown of Thorns M1009. I used the Mule M1009 to haul the wood and the M1028 dump truck to get the bigger stuff. That is a bit high to load but it all worked out in the end. Pulling an 8400 lb chipper with an M1009 is interesting. It was well balanced and gave me no problems. I drove responsibly. I have a friend that is in the tree cutting business and he was very handy with the 60 ft boom truck. It is all over but the splitting and stacking. DSCF2687.jpgDSCF2688.jpgDSCF2689.jpgDSCF2690.jpgDSCF2691.jpgDSCF2694.jpgDSCF2695.jpgDSCF2696.jpgDSCF2699.jpgDSCF2700.jpgDSCF2701.jpgDSCF2702.jpgAs I said in the past. the M1009 is a very handy little truck. Regardless that it has GM 10 bolt axles. Say what you want. I have had all sorts of trucks in my life. I still like my 1/2 tons best for everyday driving and general use. The key is use and know the limitations and you will be fine. Thrash it and put big tires and well there you have it. I had Bubba and the what ever that other strap thing is at the ready and Terminus M1009 was also in on the action. The M1028 with the dump bed is just a bit to high for loading. I like the trailer and the M1009. Much easier. Even if I have to unload by hand. I was in the back yard against the house and the Kobota loader would have reeked havoc on the lawn. Crown of Thorns M1009 is still packed with wood cutting equipment and ready to go. Now the splitting and stacking. Any volunteers are welcome to stop by. Have a great day. Back to work in the AM. The weather was poor so I made 0 progress on my Easter find M1008. Oh well. Always next week. Saturday April 22, 2017 is unofficial Rausch Creek weekend of 4 wheeling if anyone wants to go. As always have a great Day and stay safe.

ssdvc

Rick, you sure put those trucks to the test. I am impressed with the 1009 hauling that wood chipper. What a load !!! The mule is looking good and those tires really make that truck !

cucvrus

May 2017 CUCV M1008 Project

Today was the first real day that I had the time to get the garage cleaned up enough to get back to work on the M1008. I had trucks and trailers out my driveway and was working outside the past month aDSCF2811.jpgDSCF2812.jpgDSCF2817.jpgDSCF2818.jpgnd a half. I have all them projects done and still have lawn to mow and other projects. But I have the shop cleaned up enough to work again. DSCF2816.jpgDSCF2815.jpgDSCF2814.jpgI still have the cargo bed setting outside. This is going to be a slow start but i hope to be up and making progress quickly. To many distractions. Thank you for looking I hope to post progress regularly.

cucvrus

DSCF2819.jpgThe engine is all uncovered and time to reassemble. Also time to fall back and regroup on where all the parts are located and what has been cleaned and is ready for assembly.DSCF2820.jpgRebuilt heads, Check.DSCF2821.jpgDSCF2822.jpgThey look so nice. Almost like aluminum heads. DSCF2823.jpgI have the short block all clean with all new seals and gaskets, new water pump. Once again I did not change the harmonic balancer. It looks fine and runs true. Done for the night. I am going away a few days. Be back Friday. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF2859.jpgDSCF2860.jpgDSCF2861.jpgDSCF2862.jpgDSCF2865.jpgDSCF2866.jpgDSCF2867.jpgTonight when I got home from work I wanted to get something done on Easter Find M1008. So this is what I did. I will keep rolling on this project now. I still have a full time job and lots of grass to mow. I bought some A C Delco brake parts right from the GM dealer. The slide locks for the front calipers on a customers truck. I was not surprised they were Made in China. Mr Good wrench says " Keep that Genuine GM feeling with Genuine Chinese parts."genuine.jpg DSCF2863.jpgDSCF2864.jpg

cucvrus

First off let me say the fit of the NAPA oil cooler lines has a lot to be desired. They have 2 different part numbers but both look exactly the same. They both look like the forward/front oil line. Not even close. They are going back. I am going to order another pair and do a side by side comparison. I bead blasted the exhaust manifolds and painted them. Why not. They are back on. I cleaned all the other parts that go on the engine and installed a pair of energy suspension motor mounts into the clam shells of the stock motor mounts. Everyone know how to do the motor mount switch? If not I will post pictures. Tomorrow is another day. I have lots of work to do.

cucvrus

I never got the motor mounts from my friend. He is never home when I call. I did get to work a few hours on my engine for the M1008.DSCF2976.jpgDSCF2970.jpgDSCF2971.jpgDSCF2972.jpgDSCF2973.jpgDSCF2974.jpgDSCF2975.jpgI also want to say a word about fuel pumps. DSCF2967.jpgDSCF2966.jpgDSCF2965.jpgDSCF2964.jpgDSCF2969.jpgLeft is incorrect. Bottom is correct (note straight lever no bend.) DSCF2968.jpg I ordered a fuel pump from NAPA and they sent the wrong one. I went thru this at every parts store. The correct one is the one with the black lever. The other 2 are wrong. The visible spring is a dead give away. The spring on the correct one is back in the back of the housing and attached to the lever. The incorrect one has a half inch of free travel before it starts the pumping action on depression. The correct one starts the pumping action with in the first 1/8" of depression. I went thru this a few years back and changed the pump twice before setting them side by side and comparing. I even posted the email I received from Delphi. Tomorrow is another day. I did decide to add a rebuilt injection pump because this still has the OEM one that was on the truck when I bought it back in 1995.

cucvrus

First off let me say the fit of the NAPA oil cooler lines has a lot to be desired. They have 2 different part numbers but both look exactly the same. They both look like the forward/front oil line. Not even close. They are going back. I am going to order another pair and do a side by side comparison. I bead blasted the exhaust manifolds and painted them. Why not. They are back on. I cleaned all the other parts that go on the engine and installed a pair of energy suspension motor mounts into the clam shells of the stock motor mounts. Everyone know how to do the motor mount switch? If not I will post pictures. Tomorrow is another day. I have lots of work to do.
Once again I received a set of oil lines from NAPA and they are both the same. 2 different part numbers but the same line. They are cheap yes and they will fit if I want tom half assed the job. I will keep looking. The AC Delco's were the same poor quality. I have a set off Amazon. I may just replace the rubber hoses on the genuine GM ones I have. I had Dormans that fit better but now they all seem the same. I would like them to fit so that I can get them into the bracket at the rear of the engine and not have them looking like a turd when I am done. Now is the time to do while the engine is on the floor. Have a great day. Watch out for poor fitting poor quality knock off parts. I think I will try Autozone. I have nothing to loose.

cucvrus

I just received my new AC Delco oil cooler lines direct from the dealer. I chanced it that they were quality. this set looks like it will fit.
PN 12472199 Hose list $76.50 my cost $50.15
PN 12472200 Host list $90.28 my cost $59.18

Almost laughable. They are Made in China. They appear to be the perfect fit and they are not the same as the last pair where. I will try to install them tonight. I will report.

cucvrus

I am here to put on the new AC Delco oil cooler lines. Come to find out they are not only Made in China. They are made in Mainland China. Thank God. My only regret is not knowing what regret feels like.. I will post pictures of the tags and the installed lines.

cucvrus

DSCF2985.jpgDSCF2984.jpgDSCF2988.jpgDSCF2990.jpgDSCF2986.jpgDSCF2987.jpgDSCF2989.jpgI made great progress tonight. Even the wonderful A C Delco Mainland Chinese hoses could not ruin my progress. They slowed me down a bit but I prevailed and completed and exceeded my goals for the evening. Side by side comparison with the original hoses they are close. But they lack the correct bends and length where the met the block. if I were to half fast the job and not use the bracket no one would any wiser. but I don't do work like that. The rubber hoses say GM and the quality is fine. Just the fit is not as good as I wanted. I have bought a pair of A C Delcos that were wrong. But I have the engine back together. It is time to lace the exhaust system back in the frame and get the engine back on the frame so I can assemble the entire drive train. Friday is the next day I will get to work on this project.

cucvrus

I cleaned up the shop tonight and put a mountain of hand tools back in my tool boxes. I wanted to get ready to set the drive line back in the frame. I will post my progress. I am going to sleep now.DSCF2983.jpgDid some country remodeling to the barn. hung and old 1957 International door on the barn. Plumbed it up after getting flak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks