• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

cucvrus

DSCF2995.jpgDSCF2996.jpgDSCF2997.jpgDSCF2998.jpgDSCF2999.jpgDSCF3001.jpgDSCF3002.jpgToday I made some great big steps forward. i have the engine and transmission installed and bolted fast to the frame. All new energy suspension motor mounts and transmission mounts. I surpassed my goal so I played around with another one of my barn hangers. I wired all the lights on the Chevrolet G3500HD front end and am going to mount the assembly on the barn with the solar panel and battery. it will have a photo cell and a switch so I can use it as a night light when I am out after dark and IMHO add a coolness to the barn. If I don't like it I can take it down. I have lots of projects and have been making slow progress on each one. When I get tired of one I move onto another. DSCF3003.jpgI will clean this up and wax it and mount it. I have a bumper that I am going to mount on it also. Some people hand hubcaps. I want to go bigger. Have a great day. i hope to make some progress tomorrow. i think I will wax my new Silverado. I have been neglecting it lately.

cucvrus

Tonight I made great progress again. I bounced around on 4 projects but am completed and ahead of schedule on the M1008DSCF3031.jpgDSCF3032.jpgDSCF3033.jpgDSCF3034.jpgDSCF3035.jpgDSCF3036.jpgDSCF3037.jpgDSCF3038.jpgDSCF3042.jpgDSCF3041.jpgDSCF3043.jpgThe core support was stripped and the stock OEM radiator was hurled on the scrap pile. Rebuilt transfer case installed. Exhaust all hooked up, the pulleys and fan installed. Pretty productive night. Now I will work on transfer case torque rods for an encore.

cucvrus

Sanded and painted the CUCV M1008 drive shafts tonight. Did a lot of lawn mowing and worked on the Honda tractor again. Never steam clean a perfectly good running piece of equipment. Never. Lesson learned. But I just had to try out the new steam cleaner last fall. Everything was so squeaky clean it failed. Just a bit of new replacement parts updating required. Nothing catastrophic.

cucvrus

DSCF3059.jpgProgress report. Slim progress. But any move forward is an advance. Nice painted drive shafts. DSCF3060.jpgThis fuel tank is not rusted thru but not worth the time to clean and coat. Recycle. DSCF3062.jpgDSCF3061.jpgFuel tank skid plate will also be hurled on the recycling pile. I have a few that have been in the barn since the mid 90's. They are prim o. A quick wash down with prep-sol and a coat of Rusfree. Good as new. I have some minor sanding to do to the core support, spare tire carrier and then spray Rusfree. That should be Friday. If weather holds out. I spray that out in the sun and let it sit a few days and dry nice. Pictures pending. Have a great day. I even mowed more grass tonight and trimmed the bushes out front of the house.

cucvrus

DSCF3067.jpgDSCF3068.jpgDSCF3069.jpgA few pictures of the M1008 CUCV parts I sealed and coated last night. A new fuel tank, a like new fuel tank skid plate and the OEM radiator core support. They were rained on today. That is fine the parts are dry to the touch. I will let them sit till next week and install them on the frame at that time. Are we having fun yet? More pictures later. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

DSCF3113.jpgDSCF3114.jpgI am sure we have all looked closely at the fuel tank saddles and straps. If not now is the time to do so. I needle blasted and wire brushed these saddles really good. I primed and painted them and added a new set of Spectra fuel tank straps. Less then $20. DSCF3115.jpgDSCF3116.jpgDSCF3117.jpgDSCF3118.jpgDSCF3119.jpgDSCF3120.jpgDSCF3121.jpgDSCF3122.jpgAfter painting and coating the saddles with a couple coats of paint I added the strap with 1/4 " bolts button heads and ground the bolt threads and fit them to the skid plate. I peened the threads on the bolts after grinding them. I fit the skid plate to the saddles and checked my clearances. All fit well. I installed the saddles and the skid plate onto the frame.

cucvrus

DSCF3129.jpgDSCF3128.jpgI picked up a couple seat belts from vehicle assembly that were dirty and had a light damage. Pefect for the fuel tank straps. i like it better then tar paper. I glued them fast to the straps and installed the fuel tank. It was a bit tight. But i managed to get the straps started and tightened them up. I used a ratchet strap to get the straps started in the holes and start the nut. DSCF3130.jpgDSCF3131.jpgDSCF3132.jpgThat about completed the work for today. I took the Grand Children for a ride and refreshments in the Mule M1009. I wanted to mention this drive shaft maintenance. This picture shows a fitting for greasing the CV ball joint in the rear of the front drive shaft. I have my cab off so I have great access to the fitting and the joint. I would recommend you check and grease yours if you have never done so. It may be better to remove the front drive shaft and clean the joint and drive shaft very well. It can't hurt anything. It will be easier to lube with the driveshaft on the work bench. DSCF3124.jpgDSCF3125.jpgDSCF3126.jpgDSCF3127.jpg I have the special grease tool pictured it snaps on the end of the grease gun and the ball in the joint may be stuck. I cleaned it out with an awl. The last picture shows the greased joint and all the area in the CV joint now has clean grease. i wiped some of the extra grease from it and called it a day. Have a great day. I hope this information is helpful to someone. It is all very easy if you just take your time and apply yourself a little at a time. I am working on several different projects at the moment and working 10 hour days at my job. I want to get hopping on getting the cab edge painted and back on the frame. That will be one of my goals for July. I want to get the engine wiring harness , starter, alternators, power steering, the belts and the radiator core support back on in the next few days. I will post pictures of my progress. I am avoiding negativity at all time. Have a great day and enjoy your work.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF3173.jpgDSCF3174.jpgDSCF3175.jpgTonight I installed 4 new shock absorbers and formed up and flared up new metal brake lines for the rear axle. I also put new rubber brake hoses on the front and back. Moving right along. To many things to do in a day.

cucvrus

Sorry about the posts everyday. I just like to stay busy everyday. I need to set a goal and meet it. I get a lot done on many things at once that way.

NAPA Shocks PN # 76919 X 2 & 76920 X 2. I don't know which was front or back. The one with the heavy steel spacer goes on the front. I replaced all my bolts and nuts. Fronts are 1/2" grade 8 top and bottom and the top rear / frame has 1/2" nuts and flat washers. The bottoms are 9/16" bolts and nuts on the rear axle. I hope that helps. If you need length just measure the length you remove or let me know I can get that measurement also. Have a Great Day. More fun tonight in store. With pictures.

cucvrus

DSCF3188.jpgDSCF3187.jpgI installed the alternators and the PS pump. I also removed a vacuum line from another parts truck and installed it on this truck. I also started to install the engine wiring harness. I started getting tired so I quit. Just like that. I'm done. For today. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF3205.jpgDSCF3206.jpgDSCF3207.jpgDSCF3208.jpgDSCF3209.jpg

I wheeled the cab cart out and did all the edge sanding. I want to paint all the edges tomorrow afternoon and get rolling on getting the cab back on the frame. I received the new Energy Suspension sway bar bushings in the mail today and want to get them on in the AM. I would have had the chassis/frame outside but a major storm rolled thru the area. I just kept working. A new Harbor Freight spray gun. It sprays as good as any Devil-bliss or Sharp I ever had. And if not I don't care. At the inexpensive cost I use it a few times and recycle it into the metal container. I will post my results tomorrow. Done for the day.

cucvrus

DSCF3211.jpgDSCF3212.jpgDSCF3210.jpgRain was in the forecast. So I quick mowed lawn and sprayed the sealer on the cab edges. Lunch time and let the sealer dry. After running the Wife to harbor freight I decided to use the old gun and keep the new one for the entire repaint. She was none the wiser. DSCF3213.jpgDSCF3214.jpgDSCF3215.jpgDSCF3226.jpg1st coat and outside to do trimming. Tough schedule. Heat and humidity are horrible today. DSCF3219.jpgDSCF3220.jpgDSCF3221.jpgDSCF3224.jpgDSCF3225.jpgDSCF3226.jpgSecond and final edging coat and done for the day. Time for R & R. I don't like sitting in the house. But A/C makes it a win win for me. Early day today. Time for rest. I am going down to the shop soon to close the doors and check on the drying. Very slow today I hope. Better paint if it dries slower. Much better adhesion.

cucvrus

DSCF3228.jpgDSCF3227.jpgWith the dew point at a bit over 70% it will be a while for the paint to dry. I am not in a hurry at all. I have plenty of other things to do. the inside floor and kick areas of the cab will be Line Xed. That seems to be the best for all my vehicles. It holds up well and to date I have not seen any rust issues on floors since I started doing this. I sold a few units to others and they have never said any bad comments top me. IMHO it beats the pants off of floor mats and do it your self brush in liners. i spent a whole winter removing one of them from the Crown of Thorns M1009. Fun Fun.

cucvrus

DSCF3231.jpgDSCF3229.jpgDSCF3230.jpgDSCF3233.jpgDSCF3232.jpg

0630 this AM. Still looks the same. The paint is still a bit tacky. Slightly. It flowed nice and has great smooth coverage. In extreme heat if I add to much accelerator I get nasty dry edges. I have no paint booth. Just a barn bay. Today I have lots of weed whacking and non CUCV related work to do. I would like to get Terminus M1009 pressure washed for the planned work week. I think I can make that happen if monsoon weather holds off. 2 days straight of wood floating in my driveway. Let the day begin.

https://youtu.be/mmtQwtcaqLM

ssdvc

Sorry about the posts everyday. I just like to stay busy everyday. I need to set a goal and meet it. I get a lot done on many things at once that way.

NAPA Shocks PN # 76919 X 2 & 76920 X 2. I don't know which was front or back. The one with the heavy steel spacer goes on the front. I replaced all my bolts and nuts. Fronts are 1/2" grade 8 top and bottom and the top rear / frame has 1/2" nuts and flat washers. The bottoms are 9/16" bolts and nuts on the rear axle. I hope that helps. If you need length just measure the length you remove or let me know I can get that measurement also. Have a Great Day. More fun tonight in store. With pictures.
Heck, keep doing the updates. It gives some of us something different to read every day !