• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

dmetalmiki

Bumper electric winch

heres a better picture of the warn winch and the wider stance front wheels. on my M45. fire truck. I fitted stock bumper extensions. remote switch operation fixed in the dash. reverse and forward solenoids are built into the winch. I have recovered cars and vans and light trucks with single line..heavier stuff with two part blocks.

Attachments

Farmun

Miki, Nice install on that winch! I love that style of Warn winches. I believe that is the 8274 or very similar, but in a 24v version. I have the M18 model, which is more of a "in-line" version. Here it is, sitting on a skateboard, so I can move it around in the basement.

My plan is to add frame extensions, (bent C-channels out of 3/8 steel), to stretch the front bumper out about 10 inches, then bolt 1/2 steel plate underneath the frame/frame extensions, and bolt the winch to this plate in between the frame. I'm thinking the 1/2 plate steel won't bend upwards very easily, and the "doubled" frame on both sides will hold it in place.

Attachments

xiongy

I fitted a WARN 24volt winch to my M45. fire truck ( all controlled from inside the cab) looks really good with the proper bumper extentions etc. Works really well with a block. sorry the picture is not really large couldnt find another yet.
Sorry to hijack the thread but, that shelter looks nice (the larger one). Can you tell me more about it?

Attachments

JOAT 0311

Does anyone have any experience w/the superwinch 16.5 24 volt? How do the warns hold up? I like the superwinch but $1,300.00 will slow me down a bit. What is a decent, not retail price for the warn? Thanks!

asgtoolman

Farmun, if you live anywhere near someone who bobs deuces, they will have original pieces of frames that they have cut off in the bobbing process that you could recut to whatever length you need to extend your frame for your winch. This would be much easier and neater than trying to bend plate and would match up perfectly, just add some type of splice plate beside the two to bolt them together. This is what I am planning on doing to mine; just wish I had picked up some scraps when mine was bobbed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Miki, Nice install on that winch! I love that style of Warn winches. I believe that is the 8274 or very similar, but in a 24v version. I have the M18 model, which is more of a "in-line" version. Here it is, sitting on a skateboard, so I can move it around in the basement.

My plan is to add frame extensions, (bent C-channels out of 3/8 steel), to stretch the front bumper out about 10 inches, then bolt 1/2 steel plate underneath the frame/frame extensions, and bolt the winch to this plate in between the frame. I'm thinking the 1/2 plate steel won't bend upwards very easily, and the "doubled" frame on both sides will hold it in place.
Farmun, there's a place in Plesant View that we get to form metal for us. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place (shoot me a PM if you need it and I can find out). They can form almost any size channels and are very resonable.

country

Supporting Vendor
we ahve electric winches that will fit on the front of your truck, 24 volt

email off list
dave@easternsurplus.net

Dave

(ALL-5089) Winch, Warn 18 Series - 18,000 lb., 24-volt with fairlead, tether controller, brand new in factory supplied box. Limited supply. $1985. Factory winch mounting bracket brackets now available for these winches- NEW $ 300

Farmun

Farmun, there's a place in Plesant View that we get to form metal for us. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place (shoot me a PM if you need it and I can find out). They can form almost any size channels and are very resonable.
Ty, I believe I know who you are talking about, and if its who I'm thinking, we've known them for several years.

My brother is in the sheet metal/duct work business for a large company nearby. He gets my stuff from their scrap pile, and does my heavy welding projects. I sent him some drawings of what I'm wanting and he said he can get it done without any problems. Said he could bend the "C" channel to fit inside the existing frame. I'm thinking this "doubling" of the front frame will allow for more strength than justing butting a piece of frame to the ends and putting plates on either side. The only real issue I see is drilling the holes in the 1/2 plate steel. I'm thinking it will be 4 on each side (total of 8) for the frame mounting, and then 8 for mounting the winch. Will take some time, but I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:

Farmun

Farmun, I've never seen a skateboard with a winch before. It looks like the winch may be a little oversized for that application!

Yes, it is quite oversized! But we had to come up with some way to move that monster around. The skateboard was just in my way most of the time and now it has a purpose in life!

Farmun

Farmun, if you live anywhere near someone who bobs deuces, they will have original pieces of frames that they have cut off in the bobbing process that you could recut to whatever length you need to extend your frame for your winch. This would be much easier and neater than trying to bend plate and would match up perfectly, just add some type of splice plate beside the two to bolt them together. This is what I am planning on doing to mine; just wish I had picked up some scraps when mine was bobbed.

Toolman, I had originally planned to go this route. But after looking at my sketches, and studying the issue, I thought that fitting "C" channels inside the frame rails would be stronger than putting splice plates over butt ends. Tight fitting "C" channels will place the stress points inside the frame at both the top and bottom lips. The bolts holding them together shouldn't see that much sheer pressure.

Please note: I don't consider myself a design engineer, in any sense of the word. But in talking it over with my buddies in the metal business, they seem to think my idea will work. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Warn 18K 24 volt wench on Deuce (A3)

Toolman, I had originally planned to go this route. But after looking at my sketches, and studying the issue, I thought that fitting "C" channels inside the frame rails would be stronger than putting splice plates over butt ends. Tight fitting "C" channels will place the stress points inside the frame at both the top and bottom lips. The bolts holding them together shouldn't see that much sheer pressure.

Please note: I don't consider myself a design engineer, in any sense of the word. But in talking it over with my buddies in the metal business, they seem to think my idea will work. Keeping my fingers crossed....
I'm in the process of installing my Warn 18K 24 volt wench on my Deuce (A3) right now. I should finish up the installation in a day or two. (Work permitting). It is installed inside and between the frame wells with the roller flare head mounted flush to the front bumper. I extended the bumper with two bumper (frame rail) extensions from White Owl for an A2, but shortend them a bit. They charged me $75 each! Ouch! I expected to get the pair of them for $75. I will post pics as soon as it is moiunted, and the front bumper back on. Not having a front PTO on a A3 rules out the standard Deuce PTO wench, and I don't plan on using it enought to justify going hydraulic. Besides, the price was right. All of the plate steel used is 3/8".

Here are some pics of the complete winch install. Installed A2 winch frame extensions from White Owl, but shortened them a few inches. Put 3/8 plate steel on bottom between the frame rails, and also at the front between the frame rails. Wanted winch flush with inside of bumper. Spliced in the steel that was removed from bumper so winch would fit flush, but put it back on to increase hight of cutout portion of bumper. Did not raise bumper height as normally done with these frame extensions (I did not want to block airflow to radiator, turbo intercooler, or trans cooler) and this was not necessary to clear PTO as I don't have one on this A3. If I remember correctly, the bumper is extended 10 inches. Winch is centered inside frame rails. Will post more pics if requested. There are many ways to do this, but since my last truck (92 F-150) had the Warn bumper with 12K winch, I made this install pretty much identical as to how that was. Considering adding diamond plate steel to top of bumper to match how my old Warn bumper was done. Or, perhaps make that storage space for straps and shackles...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks