• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

samsimpson

When you say you have your 12v stuff on the 24v system, do you have it wired power to battery and ground to chassis or do you mean you have power and ground going straight to 1 battery?

USArmyMedic07

I have it wired up as 24v to the batteries, hot and ground. I don't use the winch much but it's held up fine so far. I also have 12v led tail lights that are working fine

AmLogger

thats is a great idea, and what i want to do also!
I already bought my Warn 18K with remote, and everything for $800 (new in box)
now the fun part of getting it mounted!! Ahh Great THREAD!!:grd:
also, how did you mount your front reciever?
what model?
pics of that ?[thumbzup]
it is the warn 15000 24volt heavy weight winch.
the front is a reciver mount just like the back between the frame (i will try and get some pictures up soon) i could make you the cradel for around $150 and if you wanted the reciver mounts front and rear thoes would be another $100, i could install them too.

JOAT 0311

rolling18, did you find a deal? I am getting ready to buy a 24v. I am torn between a warn 18k and a superwinch. I have seen a few of the CE specials out there that were tempting. Anyway great thread, AmLogger great job on the kit.

srodocker

yea where are you guys finding deals. I want to be in the market for a one of the 18.5k winches. still torn if i want to do a receiver hitch slide in winch setup so i can use front and back. or doing it behind the front bumper

BadMastard

TadB. your answer is that the m35a3 hydraulics are attached directly to the cat motor on the back of the air compressor. The tank is in front of the drivers front fender. That answer your questions?

rolling18

rolling18, did you find a deal? I am getting ready to buy a 24v. I am torn between a warn 18k and a superwinch. I have seen a few of the CE specials out there that were tempting. Anyway great thread, AmLogger great job on the kit.
yea where are you guys finding deals. I want to be in the market for a one of the 18.5k winches. still torn if i want to do a receiver hitch slide in winch setup so i can use front and back. or doing it behind the front bumper
for a 24v you did good !
ebay 18k new for 900 plus freight he only seems to sell a few at a time.

I travel alot and check Craigslist everywhere I go. Now and then run across a.good deal on the 24 volt 18k Warn. Last year there was a guy in FL with a pallet full for $800 each, complete.

AmLogger

the one thing with making it so you can use it front and rear is most of the time you dont wanna pull yourself deeper into the hole you couldn't make it through!

The winch on the front is best used to recover other people. One one back is best to recover yourself. I have not yet been able to mount the one I bought for the back. As the Warn 18k is said to be "sealed", would it be ok to mount it upside down? Otherwise, operating the forward, freewheel, reverse lever will be tough.

No disrespect to Superwinch, they make a good product. However, for a little more $, the Warn provides a better winch, and they have shown to have great customer service--rather pricey, but very timely service. They actuality really do call you back if/when necessary. I had an excellent support for an issue with an older 12k winch on my 92 F150.

So for.limited light duty service when price is a major concern, go with the Superwinch. If you don't mind spending a little more and want a more robust winch, the Warn is for you. No electric winch will pull all day in continuous service like a PTO or hydraulic--but even these do have their weaknesses, and often the electric would be the better choice.

Flat Black

You guys must not do a lot of off roading or if you do you are just out driving around in the dirt or mud.. When you get stuck on a trail, you absolutely dont want to be winched backwards because you are trying to get somewhere (down a trail, over an obstacle, etc)

If you winch backwards and get unstuck, unless you have another path around what you got stuck in you are going to have to go right back through it again.. The rear winch is good for recovering other people who are often behind you on a trail and are coming with you or in the same direction. Same reason they would want a front winch if you did not have a rear one, though a proper snatch strap or tow strap could suffice in that situation.

In the off roading circles I run in, almost no one has a rear winch and almost everyone has a front winch. The idea scenario IMO would be having both front and rear winches or better yet a central winch with fairleads on each end of the truck, thereby keeping all the cables and motors and such out of harms way, out of the mud, etc.. that a front or rear mounted winch would see.

Last edited:
You guys must not do a lot of off roading or if you do you are just out driving around in the dirt or mud.. When you get stuck on a trail, you absolutely dont want to be winched backwards because you are trying to get somewhere (down a trail, over an obstacle, etc)

If you winch backwards and get unstuck, unless you have another path around what you got stuck in you are going to have to go right back through it again.. The rear winch is good for recovering other people who are often behind you on a trail and are coming with you or in the same direction. Same reason they would want a front winch if you did not have a rear one, though a proper snatch strap or tow strap could suffice in that situation.

In the off roading circles I run in, almost no one has a rear winch and almost everyone has a front winch. The idea scenario IMO would be having both front and rear winches or better yet a central winch with fairleads on each end of the truck, thereby keeping all the cables and motors and such out of harms way, out of the mud, etc.. that a front or rear mounted winch would see.
I agree that both front and rear witches are.the best. However, the comment that you only want to keep going forward implies that you must go that way to get out of trouble. This is usually true with rock climbing. This is usually not true if you are bogging and discover the way forward is not the best way to go.

In some.sort.of competition where going back is not an option, forward mounted is the only way to go.

jesusgatos

There's no 'right' answer. If I only had one winch, and it had to be permanently mounted, would put it up front. But can think of a number of scenarios where a rear-mounted winch might prove useful. Think the BEST solution would probably be one of those Warn winches (posted some info about them earlier in this thread), on a receiver-type mount.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks