• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Wipers for the Deuce

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have searched through the various threads and am unable to find iformation with pictures to retro fit electric military wipers in my Deuce. There are a couple of threads showing how to raise the hardtop without taking it off completely, and a couple of pics showing fabricated electrical conduit. I also have tried the TMs for 5 tons but have not been able to open them all. Any assistance would be appreciated.

3dAngus

Dave,
Did you end up buying the wipers yet? I ended up buying about three different sets, electric, and vacumn, and am not happy with any of them. The originals are selling for gold and I'm not sure I want to go back there again. Let me know what you have and I hope you get some speedy responses, because I'm probably going to do the same thing.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchased 24v wiper motors for M38 from "Amazon" and mounted them to my deuce. They work well. They also sell 12v but found the 24v easier to wire and such. My conduit for wiring was a piece of 1/2o.d. soft copper and insulated clamps. The wiper motors fit into the existing mounting holes and only had to shorten the arm mounting shaft.
God bless,
Tony

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already have the electric wipers. Just looking for installing tips/instructions. The truck is a soft top.

3dAngus

The M939 windshield wipers would not work in a deuce because the diameter of the stem was to big to fit through the windshield.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope this helps, as during my electric wipers conversion I had to use a lot of "artistic license," so to speak, for various reasons.

I couldn't afford the prices of the very few A3 electric wiper assemblies that I found available, and I didn't have the time to spend fabricating a replica of an A3 setup. So, I purchased 2 24-volt wiper motors (made by New Star) from Ted's Trucks on eBay. They arrived with no instructions nor documentation at all, and I spent a considerable amount of time researching how best to install these motors.

I couldn't find anything at all, other than A3 TM schematics, and as I didn't want to replicate that style of linkage setup, I simply bolted both motors into the stock Deuce windshield holes. These New Star motors only used 1 of the 2 machine-screw holes to mount the motor, so I used a machine screw with an O-ring on the outside to seal the unused hole. I mounted them in various ways, but couldn't find anything other than the way I have them mounted, that would make them fit appropriately. I'm sure that there's a better way, so hopefully we'll be able to find out from my mistakes.

I used Wire #27 for the gauges to power the wipers, as they don't draw that much current when in use. I ran the wires through a simple SPST switch that fit into the stock wiper switch hole in the dash. The wiper motors list the three screws as "+", "-", and "S". I assumed that the "S" screw terminal was for a switch to be wired in, but no matter how I wired these motors, I found that there was a direct connection (or short) between the negative and "S" (switch?) terminals, so I used those as grounds and wired in a positive (red wires) via the switch. When using the dash-mounted electrical switch, the wipers will NOT return to their original state but simply stop where they were when the switch was thrown, whereas when you use the motor-mounted toggle switch, the wipers will return to their resting/starting position. I couldn't find a wiring setup that would allow this with the switch. Oh well.

I don't like how they come to rest in the driver's field of view...however, I could always cut them off while out of my field of view too...just didn't think to do it last time I was driving.

Anyway, I hope these pics help...if anyone can think of a better mounting/operating method please feel free to chime in. So far this works for me, and is far better than the leaky/noisy/sticking actions of the old air motors.

20121229_Deuce_01.jpg 20121229_Deuce_01a.jpg 20121229_Deuce_01b.jpg 20121229_Deuce_01c.jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiper blades are ANCO 31-13 blades, they actually do work quite well...last week we had some steady rain and I had no problems with these wipers. I'm happy with how they work.

197thhhc

Silverstate, I have these wiper motors on my truck and I really like them. I use the switches that are on the motors to run them. I only ran a pos and ground wire to the + and - on the motors. I like that they park themselves this way. I have had a set on our test truck for over a year and they seem to hold up. We have been running these to decide weather to carry them in our store. Let me know if you have any issues. i think we will start selling them if the ones on our test truck make it through the winter.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate55,

Thanks for the info and the pics. Exactly the type of info I was searching for. I have found any modification, wheather factory or otherwise requires a great deal of that "artistic license!" I am glad to know wire #27 was where you got your power. I have insatlled a fused power strip for 24V options.

Nice clean job. I'm sure they work way better than the air wipers.

caliber1

Dave, are you mounting the factory style electric wipers? If so that's what is in my deuce. Let me know if you want to come out and look it over.

Jess

Silverstate55,

Thanks for the info and the pics. Exactly the type of info I was searching for. I have found any modification, wheather factory or otherwise requires a great deal of that "artistic license!" I am glad to know wire #27 was where you got your power. I have insatlled a fused power strip for 24V options.

3dAngus

I don't like how they come to rest in the driver's field of view...however, I could always cut them off while out of my field of view too...just didn't think to do it last time I was driving.

Anyway, I hope these pics help...if anyone can think of a better mounting/operating method please feel free to chime in. So far this works for me, and is far better than the leaky/noisy/sticking actions of the old air motors.

View attachment 401781 View attachment 401782 View attachment 401783 View attachment 401784
I purchased these same windshield wipers, along with two other different kinds of sets, (air and electric) just in case. I noticed the one hole install as well, so I never installed them, concerned it might be an issue with slippage. Good to know someone else had some sucess. Also, the wiper part number is a big help. Thanks. I was going to use a set of old military wipers, which have to be some of the worst and cheapest MIL-Spec assets ever. Looks like I'll go ahead and tape mine off now and paint them, and get them ready for an install, thanks to your post.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jess,

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on your offer. A picture is worth a 1000 words, and a visual is worth 10,000. I will PM you for directions and a time convenient for you.

Thanks,
Dave

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been hoping to get an electric wiper setup from an A3, only minus the electric motor. I have several big locomotive style air wiper motors, and want to install that in the center of the windshield frame where the electric motor went.

I don't know about you guys, but every deuce or 5 ton I've ever driven in the rain, it seems like you need wipers on the outside, and the inside!

Lonesome715

I hope this helps, as during my electric wipers conversion I had to use a lot of "artistic license," so to speak, for various reasons.

I couldn't afford the prices of the very few A3 electric wiper assemblies that I found available, and I didn't have the time to spend fabricating a replica of an A3 setup. So, I purchased 2 24-volt wiper motors (made by New Star) from Ted's Trucks on eBay. They arrived with no instructions nor documentation at all, and I spent a considerable amount of time researching how best to install these motors.

I couldn't find anything at all, other than A3 TM schematics, and as I didn't want to replicate that style of linkage setup, I simply bolted both motors into the stock Deuce windshield holes. These New Star motors only used 1 of the 2 machine-screw holes to mount the motor, so I used a machine screw with an O-ring on the outside to seal the unused hole. I mounted them in various ways, but couldn't find anything other than the way I have them mounted, that would make them fit appropriately. I'm sure that there's a better way, so hopefully we'll be able to find out from my mistakes.

I used Wire #27 for the gauges to power the wipers, as they don't draw that much current when in use. I ran the wires through a simple SPST switch that fit into the stock wiper switch hole in the dash. The wiper motors list the three screws as "+", "-", and "S". I assumed that the "S" screw terminal was for a switch to be wired in, but no matter how I wired these motors, I found that there was a direct connection (or short) between the negative and "S" (switch?) terminals, so I used those as grounds and wired in a positive (red wires) via the switch. When using the dash-mounted electrical switch, the wipers will NOT return to their original state but simply stop where they were when the switch was thrown, whereas when you use the motor-mounted toggle switch, the wipers will return to their resting/starting position. I couldn't find a wiring setup that would allow this with the switch. Oh well.

View attachment 401781 View attachment 401782 View attachment 401783 View attachment 401784
How much money do you have in this mod? I am very interested in doing it.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much money do you have in this mod? I am very interested in doing it.
I think I have around $150 total; that includes both motors, wires, both wipers, clamps, screws, etc...

These motors only use 1 screw to secure them; they work quite well so far.

Thanks for all the kind words!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate55,

Thanks! They do work far better than the old air wipers I had.

I have a 24V fuse block I need to install; Wire #27 works for now, but you've got the smarter way to do it & I just need to find the time to do the same on mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks