• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap??

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have often thought about having a "spare" 6.2 engine just in case. Are these plentiful? I admit that I haven't really looked into the issue. Would a spare engine go bad just sitting in my shop for a long time? I wonder if it would be cost effective to get a non-functional engine and rebuilding it. I have never done this type of work so I don't know what I would be getting into. Anyone have thoughts on this idea???

cucvrus

I have a few that are rebuildable. I would sell them for double scrap weight if you are interested. The heads are the hard thing to find good. Not saying they all have bad heads but I have sure used a few sets to get good ones when I needed a pair. I had guys tell me I am too fussy about cracked heads. But a cracked head is a cracked head. He said they all have a crack somewhere if you look hard enough. But yea if you were closer I would fix you up.

Last edited:

dougco1

I got this job. I will be towing the truck back to my compound over the weekend. There will be no front end removal. About the only thing I want to remove body wise is the hood. If I garage bay was higher I could leave that in place also and just open it straight up. But in the interest of safety and avoiding the guillotine effect of it slamming shut I will remove it. I seen the truck it is basically a stock vehicle under the hood. If anyone is interested I will document and post pictures of the process and engine change. I am happy to sell the 6.2 engine I have stored in my garage. I have coddled it long enough and want it to be put to use. I look forward to this job between the other jobs I have going at the moment and think it will be a challenge to complete and remain on task. I like the challenge and adventure. Take Care all and I will keep you posted. I plan on using my Tow bar and my Trail Boss to tow the CUCV back to my compound. Could you imagine any other way?View attachment 807465
Still snow in PA?

nyoffroad

I have often thought about having a "spare" 6.2 engine just in case. Are these plentiful? I admit that I haven't really looked into the issue. Would a spare engine go bad just sitting in my shop for a long time? I wonder if it would be cost effective to get a non-functional engine and rebuilding it. I have never done this type of work so I don't know what I would be getting into. Anyone have thoughts on this idea???
I feel it's worth having one sitting on the shelf, but then I have the space and got a "locked up" engine given to along with the rest of the truck because of the "bad" engine. Turned out the dumb previous owner tried to start a 24 volt truck with one 12v battery and the starter engaged and stuck, hence the locked up junk motor!
Would I go out and buy one just to have it sit? NO, unless I wanted the experience of rebuilding it and had the time space and money. You could learn a LOT just with some hand tools Plasti- gage, ridge reamer and cylinder hone add in a few hundred in parts and you'd have an almost like new motor.

cucvrus

I will load the engines I have in a trailer and take them to the scrap. I agree they are not worth having around. And when they are gone I will be onto something new and exciting again. Maybe walker or wheel chair racing but something not as dirty and fun as my last 25 years of CUCV building. The thrill still there but drive train is wearing down and getting tired. Now that I reached this point I have it perfected. Isn't that just the way it goes in life? Take Care and Be Safe. I will keep you all posted just like you were there.

dependable

I feel it's worth having one sitting on the shelf, but then I have the space and got a "locked up" engine given to along with the rest of the truck because of the "bad" engine. Turned out the dumb previous owner tried to start a 24 volt truck with one 12v battery and the starter engaged and stuck, hence the locked up junk motor!
You got my curiosity going, how did using the wrong starter junk the whole motor? Not saying it did not happen, just wondering how.

cucvrus

You got my curiosity going, how did using the wrong starter junk the whole motor? Not saying it did not happen, just wondering how.
It's a 6.2 diesel thing. Forget it you will never understand. I read it and still didn't figure it out. Unless the bolts broke off in the block and there are 3 broken drill bits broken off in the holes and 5 easy outs. Block scrap. I seen the CUCV's H coded for broken starter bolts and bought them that way.

nyoffroad

It's pretty simple really, I just didn't explain it very well! I knew what I meant and assumed you did too.
The PO tried to start the 24v truck not knowing it was a 24v system, the batteries were dead so jumping it with a 12v battery to the front battery gave it enough power to engage the solenoid but not turn over the engine. I don't remember if the starter jammed but I think it did. I'm pretty sure I remember turning the crank backwards a hair and hearing the starter disengage, after that two fully charged batteries an she fired right up!
Any way the PO was sure the engine was seized and no good and I got it for free.

dependable

I get it now, but I did not get it from your original post, perhaps I'm not that clever, but seen some kinda crazy posts over the years.

I have seen a motor that was junked because the block was cracked at starter mounting, but only after some one had made a poorly executed try at a couple of half arsed repairs, not the original bolt failure.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few that are rebuildable. I would sell them for double scrap weight if you are interested. The heads are the hard thing to find good. Not saying they all have bad heads but I have sure used a few sets to get good ones when I needed a pair. I had guys tell me I am too fussy about cracked heads. But a cracked head is a cracked head. He said they all have a crack somewhere if you look hard enough. But yea if you were closer I would fix you up.

I wish I lived closer as well. I think I would like to try a complete rebuild on something I could use later.

cucvrus

I have the Trail Boss all loaded up and ready to go on the adventure tomorrow. I need a break from scaffold. I was out 5 hours painting today on the north side. Strange how hot it gets just painting. Never seemed to get this hot tearing into major CUCV projects. Maybe its the height. Closer to the Sun. DSCF7541.JPGDSCF7542.JPGDSCF7543.JPGThere goes my cover. Blown again with a full picture of my license plate with number. Can't hide anything these days. Everyone has a camera. Be Safe. Take Care.

nyoffroad

I get it now, but I did not get it from your original post, perhaps I'm not that clever, but seen some kinda crazy posts over the years.
Nah, it's not you it's me. Sometimes I forget that I'm explaining something and assume you know what I mean to say before I say it so I don't go into details.

cucvrus

Well that was fairly easy. i did learn when you drive the speed limit everyone passes you like you are parked. I made it back to the compound with no issues. Now I find out it has no E brake. Engage the wheel chocks. That makes some excitement when it must be moved around and has no driveshaft attached. 14.2 MPG towing wasn't bad. I was glad to have my Wife along as a helper. Once the drive shaft was unhooked that truck wanted to roll away. Interesting dually set up. Both tires fit under the bed. OK now to go do some diagnostics and see what locked up. DSCF7544.JPGDSCF7545.JPG

cucvrus

Well I couldn't wait to onto the diagnostics of the M1008 locked up engine. I tried the flywheel tool and the 24MM socket on the main crank pulley. Tight. Locked up tight and won't budge either way. So I think a moment and look up in the bell housing. I could get 4 maybe 5 of the torque converter bolts. But I need 6 to remove the engine without disturbing the torque converter. So next I go get a 13mm wrench, filter wrench and a drain oil pan and pull the drain plug. I hope the owner had drained the oil because none came out. I removed the oil filter and it was enough to make a mess when I was removing it. I proceeded to get the cordless ratchet out and removed the oil pan. My Grandson ask if I was going to make cupcakes. I said yes you want to come along. He did. DSCF7553.JPGCup cakes are nice and organized. I use these pans every time I take something apart. Very helpful. Nice transmission cooler lines.DSCF7546.JPG14ghz you are missing the starter support bracket also. DSCF7547.JPGAlso no shock absorbers on front explains the towing misery when I hit bumps. DSCF7548.JPG As I was removing the oil pan the thunder was clapping loudly and I still held my position. I have it 200ft from my barn so I can keep my driveway open. I was able to get the pan down and goal was met for the day. No moving this engine in any rotational motion as long as the connecting rods are still attached to the crankshaft. Look at the nice bearing material peeking out and see how hot the rod caps were when it finally said enough. DSCF7549.JPGDSCF7550.JPGDSCF7551.JPG
I will attempt to remove the rod caps with the wrench but leave a torch as an option. This engine is good for an anchor only no matter what I do to get it loose. I would like to make an observation. I was told the rear main seal was just replaced. The oil pan appears new and the oil pump looks new and the pick up tube was not long enough to get into the bottom of the pan. This engine was toyed with and I feel that is what caused the failure. That is unlike any 6.2 diesel pickup screen and tube I have ever seen. DSCF7552.JPGI have seen 6.2 diesel CUCV's run 4 qts low in oil and not cause any issues. Not sure how or what caused it. But oil starvation is at the top of the list. Well anyway I was being brave and waited till it was pouring rain before I abandon my project. DSCF7554.JPGDSCF7555.JPGI always like to be able to say goal met for the day. I was hoping to be able to get that far. So I will rest the remainder of the day and catch up on my beauty rest. It will be back to work in the blink of an eye. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

I was able to get the engine turned over enough to get the 6 torque converter bolts out. I don't know if I had to remove as much as I did. But when I was under there with a cordless ratchet and impact I took out every nut and bolt I could and was able to rotate the engine enough to get all 6 bolts out of the toque converter. Fairly quickly. About an hour an 15 minutes then I mowed grass and painted barn roof edging till the great rains came. DSCF7556.JPGDSCF7557.JPGDSCF7558.JPGDSCF7559.JPGDSCF7560.JPGDSCF7561.JPGDSCF7562.JPGDSCF7563.JPGDSCF7564.JPGDSCF7565 - Copy.JPG The bearings on the rods were burnt up and the oil pump pick up don't look right to me.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is fascinating to watch you do this. I have always wanted to rebuild an engine, but I have never had the opportunity to do so. I have been searching for a 6.2 Diesel locally but I haven't had any bites on my search.

Saberr

Ahhh soo just a quick hone, slight sand paper on the crank, new bearings and fix the pick up... Can have that done in time for beer thirdy.....

This is sarcasim for those taking it the wong way...

cucv can you send some that rain over here to the west coast ? can use it, we been in the 100s for last couple weeks, and more to come.

dependable

Glad you had a good trip, That motor is lunchboxed all right. The upper end was probably oil starved and metal contaminated to some degree too, so likely not worth installing a crank kit (turned crank w matching bearings). That oil pickup, it does not look stock to me either

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks