• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine & transmission swap questions

M1008driver

I have a stock M1008 that I plan on swapping the engine to a 5.9 Cummins in the future.

After looking into this I can go the expensive way and have it done or I can use my friend's garage shop behind his business that is closed down and screaming for a project. I know some engine guys that would like to take this on for a small fee. I buy all the parts and tools needed or rent, whatever it takes.

Before I ever start I am planning on getting the NV4500 transmission. I am thinking when the engine swap time gets closer I need to do the Roscommon 12 Volt Conversion before the project begins.

I would appreciate any comments or ideas you have. I am making a plan before I start to make the engine swap easier.

Another question is do I need an intercooled engine? I was told, by a diesel mechanic, it will save allot of time not to have one, but there are power trade offs.

M1008driver

I just realized the NV4500 is a manual transmission and I want to keep it automatic. Basically I don't know...

That's why I am asking questions now. Also the transmission swap will go easier at the same time as the engine swap. I am learning. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Miah

They make conversion bellhousings & flexplates that would allow you to hook the cummins right to your trans...but from what I've seen it's gonna cost.

If you're lucky you might find a Grumman diesel van that's setup with the 4BT & already mated to Chevy chassis, but I don't know if they ever used automatics or if they're strictly stick-shift because of the engine size.

M1008driver

I am reading about the TH700-R4 transmission over the 4L80e that is electronic controlled. Or should I just convert to a manual NV4500 transmission? I know all this is going to be expensive. That is why I am making a plan now.

EDIT- 10 or 12 thousands dollars is still less expensive than a 40-50 thousand dollar new truck. I will we get my wife's 4Runner some day when she gets a new one. The truck is for hunting and hauling things that need a truck.

Last edited:

M1008driver

Nothing...I want to be able to pull a big trailer and have the best engine and drive train I can get that will last. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

What I am doing is putting together a plan for the future and trying to understand the best way. I am thinking the NV4500 manual transmission because it is said to be bulletproof reliable.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Do yourself a favor and buy a complete truck and use the most of the drive train.

:ditto:use engine, harness, PCM, and trans, take the np241 transfer case off and find a np205 off of a 1987-93 dodge cummins automatic (must be auto the manual has a different spline count won't work on the auto), the np205 drops on the correct side(passenger) and its alot stronger than the np241(drivers side drop).
Try and find a complete truck from 1994-95, these years had a 47rh non electric trans, any newer and they had the 47re which was electronic. The 4 stands for 4 speed, the 7 is max torque. (700 ft. lbs. torque), the "r" means reverse, and the "h" is for hydraulic. If its the "e" that stands for electronic.

idM1028

If you want ease of installation I'd say go with a 6.5 with something like a 4L80. Same engine mounting points and bellhousing pattern. Might have to do a bit of fabbing to get the tranny in. Or just put a turbo kit on the truck. I remember reading about a company called Destroked that makes adapters and kits to put a 5.9 into stuff that wasn't made for it (GM's, Fords, etc.) I went throught their website and couldn't find anything. You can try giving them a call. I may have to double check my reading (I have too many diesel truck mags)

rustyolred

I am wanting to do a 6.5/4l80e swap. Supposed to be a direct bolt in as far as the engine goes. Trans should just require some crossmember tweaks. And find a place to put the stand alone tranny controller. Also have to do some exhaust work due to the turbo on the 6.5. But it is definitely easier than the 6bt cummins swap. Not as much power but easier to do.

ODdave

:ditto: If you wanted a 4500 before you knew what it was you have a lot of homework to do.
To do a cummins swap and have it look good and perform right it takes ALOT of work. Its not that hard just to jam another engine in to a truck but "fitment & function" are EVERYTHING.

Idealy switching to a drivers drop t-case and front axle would be the way to go so the large exhaust needed by the 6bt would have plenty of room to stay cool w/o fighting for space that the t-case and from d-shaft need.

coecamo

Re Trans swap I bought a M1008 swapped in a TH700R4 only a few things to change and wiht stock tires,gears 70mph no problem 17mpg expressway at70-75mph. Th700 not quite as strong as Th400 but Beast sunshell and slipping in one extra friction disk in 3-4 clutch. Trans repair not my thing my first trans rebuild bought the book follow all the steps. M1008 is a solid truck. Gary

M1008driver

When I weighed my RV at the scales it was 6500 lbs unloaded. I posted where one guy was towing 6600 lbs with a stock truck and receiver hitch w/brake controller.

f you wanted a 4500 before you knew what it was you have a lot of homework to do.
I know this. That is why I am reading and asking. I am not a mechanic. I read the forums and try to understand the BS. To have the truck done by the professionals is about 12 grand when done. Engine, trans, parts, and fab work on the truck. They would modify the frame so the engine bolts down.

I also have access to an unused garage where some guys could take their time and do the work at half the price when all is done. I have two trucks to use so this is a possibility. My dilemma is I don't want a computer controlled trans, so the NV4500 is looking better all the time.

I could have just bought a older Dodge and done all this cheaper like my friend did. The M1008 brings back memories and I like driving one. I do appreciate all the comments.

EDIT- Mechanics speak a different language and many don't have allot of respect for those who don't. I guess that is why they choose to work in the garage. There are some cool mechanics that love to help you out. It all cost money in the end...you just need to find the right mechanic that can give good advice and do the job like you want it done.

Last edited:

M1008driver

I would like to get 65 mph comfortably. 55 is OK, but gets boring.

I am reading about the 4bt. Can that engine tow up to 10,000 lbs? The forums say it fits better. I was told Frito-Lay has 6.2 and 4bt's in their trucks around here.

IdahoPlowboy

With the 4.56 gears the 6.2 will pull about anything you could want. I dont think you would gain that much with the 5.9. what kind of towing are you going to do? Are you going down the freeway, once again with the gear ratio that the 1008 has you wont gain much with the swap that you are planning. Turbo the 6.2 and it will do just fine.

M1008driver

I dont think you would gain that much with the 5.9
Dang, there are always trade offs. I do need to take on some mountain driving to get where I want to be. Maybe instead of the bigger engine I should be looking at improving what I have to get by.

Turbo the 6.2 and it will do just fine
Cheaper than an engine upgrade. Am I shortening my engine life? I don't need to drive fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks