• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine turns over with ignition switch off

cucvrus

If it were me. I would. Also make sure the correct support bracket is tight and in place. But the cost of new starter bolts is far less expansive and aggravating then a failed/broken starter bolt. Do as you wish but you ask and that is my experienced advise.

cucvrus

How many times do you think you are going to need to rebuild the starter and alternators? If you get them done correctly the first time at a reputable shop you should be good for years. I have a company truck that has the same ones on it for over 5 years and it gets used hard. I drive it 5 days a week and extra hard during in-climate weather and mud season. Which is mud season now at 65 degrees today in January.

Okie Cowboy

I think as long as I have this 1009 I want backup starter and alternator. These are the only things I can't just go pick up at local NAPA or Junk yard.
I traded an old Jeep for it because diesel.

Okie Cowboy

Ok so I finally got the starter replaced. I got everything hooked back up went to start and engine turned over but wouldn't start. I cycled glow plugs turned over good no start then noticed front neg battery terminal smoking and had melted. The rear pos had melted when starter hung up. I found gelled fuel in line going to filter.
I can't catch a break with this thing. I have no idea why terminal melted both batteries were fully charged.

cucvrus

Do you have bolt on cable ends? These are not going to take the heat very well as they do not make a good connection. Even if you don't melted to me means bad connection. Bad connection makes heat. That is with out seeing what you have going on. i see so many cut wires and chopped up electrical systems on these CUCV's that it is hard to say with out an eyeball on it. A lot of add ons are poorly added on and that results in failure of other components. Try to keep everything tight and good clean professional connections. Cobbling battery terminal ends is looking for trouble. Many battery terminal ends are pinched as tight as they can go and still not tight. When they are the right ends they should be tight but not squeezed tight together. Most were over-tightened over the years and cannot be made tight anymore. The ends need replaced with a + end on positive and a - end on the negative. I was surprised when a few people did not even know they were different. Gelled fuel is an easy fix with fuel additives. Get the other issues fixed and you should be good to go. I have a CUCV down right now also. But that's my problem and I don't have an answer for that right now. I'm gonna. Good Luck and have a great day.

Okie Cowboy

Yes the two ends that melted were both bolt on universal. I had been planning to swap they were just small. I'm going to replace the whole cable the truck not really hacked up wanting to keep it that way.
I wish you luck on yours.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace your fuel filter if your fuel gelled , the filter will be plugged with was wax and fuel treatments like 9-1-1 won't unplug a filter.

Okie Cowboy

I wasn't sure if that filter would need changed thanks for info. I'm going to get a new one when I get new battery cables. I just need to see how long of ones I need I know the rear pos and front neg both need replacing.
If those are all the wire I melt I will be happy.

cucvrus

Take the fuel filter in the house with you and let it warm up overnight is best. No use wasting a good filter. They are not getting any less expensive. I have moved my M1009 into a heated garage. I thought this Crown of Thorns issue shut down out and my theory is I drove thru snow on some roads that I was pushing snow with the bumper and the underside was packed in snow. I was driving in deep snow for 4 hours. I know how cold that snow mist is from snow blowing. I think the underside snow and ice gelled the fuel in the fuel lines on the frame. When I pulled it inside the entire underside is packed in snow and ice. And besides I have been getting a free ride with my salvage fuel for the past 2 months. No harm no foul. I put a qt of 911 and a qt of Howes in it and have it in a 70 degree shop. I will let it sit there 24 hours and give it a whirl. That's my thought on this whole thing. It ran to well to just up and shut off. It is fuel related. And the engine was at 190 when it shut off. But to stick to your issue. Get a new filter and take the other one in and warm it up. drain it and keep it if it is till newer. Why waste it. Good Luck.

Okie Cowboy

I didn't think about doing that. I usually park it in the garage when it gets super cold it was outside and the garage doors were frozen. I was just starting and letting it idle for afew hours this was great till the starter went out it then sat for 2 weeks out in open in cold the fuel in lines gelled. I've got it moved inside in laws garage now I'll go pop that off here in a few. I thank you for the knowledge now I know.

Okie Cowboy

It lives once again. I changed fuel filter cleaned battery terminals and connections charged batteries and fired it up. I also found out that the block heater works.
I'm going to replace the battery cables and few more things under the hood.
My next issue I'm going to address is play in the steering.
Thanks to everyone that came to my assistance.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It lives once again. I changed fuel filter cleaned battery terminals and connections charged batteries and fired it up. I also found out that the block heater works.
I'm going to replace the battery cables and few more things under the hood.
My next issue I'm going to address is play in the steering.
Thanks to everyone that came to my assistance.
When checking the steering check the frame where the steering box bolts on they are known for cracking .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks