• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Epic Tire Failure

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run single Michelin 14.5 R20's on my deuce and I really like them, however, I had a little issue with one. I used my deuce to take my kids to their baseball game (probably an 8 mile drive one way, mostly 40-50 MPH), everything was fine when I got home, the next day I found this! Just glad I wasn't driving when it happened especially if it would have been on the front!

Attachments

wsucougarx

Yikes, wow I'm equally glad you weren't driving as well. I've never seen tire failure on 46"'s like that. Seen it on plenty of Goodyear 9.00x20's though

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not a 46" tire. 14.5r20 is the same height as an 1100, just wider. I agree, had that been on the front while driving, it would have been very bad.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a semi tire shop right by my house, they do the mounting for me, they weren't sure why it let go either. It had very minor weather checking and it wasn't near the failure. It was kind of an old tire with a date code of 515 which is the 51st week of 1995 (or 1985).

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tubeless rim? Anything sharp on it to damage the tire?
Yes it is a tubeless rim. Nothing sharp near it or anything rubbing on it, I'm hoping it was just a fluke and will never happen again! The only thing the tire hit was the mud flap when it let go, I'll bet it made a heck of a boom when it blew!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What pressure were you running? Some of the guys on the 715zone running the 1100r16 Michelin XL tires have had this happen with low tire pressures.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It rides rough, 50 is a lot better, I might have to try lower now that I know someone else is running them even lower.

Unforgiven

My guess is they were dismounted improperly from the previous vehicle, with a forklift or highlift jack which weakened that part of the sidewall. Who knows what the history is when it comes to surplus tires. What's the white spray paint for?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is they were dismounted improperly from the previous vehicle, with a forklift or highlift jack which weakened that part of the sidewall. Who knows what the history is when it comes to surplus tires. What's the white spray paint for?
That's possible, there were no visible signs of damage but who knows what they have been through. Not sure what the white spray paint is for, it was on there when I got them, I think it's to mark any checking, but it wasn't bad at all on that tire.

jasonjc

I had the same thing happen on a 12.50X20. It was on a deuce rim with tube,55 psi.
Mine was on the front going 55mph. Only felt a slight pull to that side.

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep that looks the same, the steel cord that runs around the bead is still in tact, the part of the sidewall that wraps around it just came apart.

ALFA2

tie6044, that looks like a dry rot/presure related failure in the sidewall, check to see how soft and pliable are the newly exposed edges of the side wall are to the touch. They should be rubbery, not plastic feeling. If the rubber feels hard or plasticky, then it is caused by dry-rot, also forced or incorrect previous mounting and dismountings would weaken the sidewall structure, and the psi you run would just force it open. Possibly check the tire manufacturing date codes on the sidewall of the failed tire and others on your truck. Depending on age, environment of use, and mounting damage, you may want to put the freshest tires up front, for safety. (Also larger size XZL's do not need to run that much pressure for the weight of your truck).

Hope this helps some.

ALFA2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks