• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Essential Tools to have for an FMTV? Add your .02

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tiger # 10105 class 1/2 trucks. Tiger 10104 class 3/5 and 10102 class 7/8. Oil the threads when using. Yea cost is high on 10102 but cheaper than a drive line shop to do the work. Yea hammer might work in some cases but get a seized one and you will be glad to have the tool. I clean yoke eyes with emery cloth lightly and rub in never seize with my finger and wipe off excess. I remove both grease zerts for old U joint before removal and remove both grease zerts on new U joint before installing it into yokes and differential. I also find it easer when working on a open differential to jack up one wheel / side of axle so you can rotate differential yoke as it helps on removal and install of U joints.

Attachments

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the lug nuts on the left side of the truck loosen by turning to the right?
Yes.

How can I tell which ones loosen which direction?
In all seriousness, just look at the threads closely. You can see the direction they will push the lug nut if you take a moment and think about it.

This is what one looks like when you don't look closely enough before you apply 1600 ft-lb's by hanging off the end of an 8' breaker bar and really yarding on it, and then finding out the whole left hand thread thing afterward:

You can see a slight tilt in the threads which remain, with the left side of a given thread slanting closer toward the stud head. Left hand thread.

Chris

Last edited:

Awesomlmtv

Yes.

In all seriousness, just look at the threads closely. You can see the direction they will push the lug nut if you take a moment and think about it.

This is what one looks like when you don't look closely enough before apply 1600 ft-lb's by hanging off the end of an 8' breaker bar and really yarding on it, and then finding out the whole left hand thread thing afterward:

You can see a slight tilt in the threads which remain, with the left side of a given thread slanting closer toward the stud head. Left hand thread.

Chris
You just saved me hours of replacing studs. I definitely would have made that mistake. Thank you.

coachgeo

Sounds funny but I use a fingernail to check the thread direction.
as in you put fingernail in between threads and run the thread to see which way it goes orrr...... is there something else your referring too??

here is video of info too. Of course it would be opposite for what is shown in below video for the stud because you would be looking at stud in different orientation than what is being shown in video

Last edited:
If you've got extra threads sticking out past the existing nut, simply try to thread on another nut that is the same size. It's going to screw on either right handed or left handed. Then you know. That's a sure fire way of making sure which way the thread goes.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

JD4044M

as in you put fingernail in between threads and run the thread to see which way it goes orrr...... is there something else your referring too??

here is video of info too. Of course it would be opposite for what is shown in below video for the stud because you would be looking at stud in different orientation than what is being shown in video

Yes follow the thread at the end with my finger nail. My old eyes are not as good as they used to be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks