Essential Tools to have for an FMTV? Add your .02

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

themeec

If you do not add additional air tanks then your 1 inch impact is going to be limited to 1 lug nut every minute or two. I ditched air impacts a while ago as on onboard carry around tool. Lots of room with only 1 purpose.
The Milwaukee 18v fuel series 1/2" guns and the Dewalt 20v guns will do just about everything on these trucks. I have the big boy and the smaller 1/2" version. https://youtu.be/c1nd9PmCz_4

Thanks for the input! I'll have to investigate this route as well. The idea of onboard carrying is quite appealing. How often do you find you have to charge them if they've not been plugged in?

simp5782

My safe word is Pork and Beans.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the input! I'll have to investigate this route as well. The idea of onboard carrying is quite appealing. How often do you find you have to charge them if they've not been plugged in?
The Battery lasts a long time. I have a charger for the cigarette lighter that dewalt makes as well.

The 20v i do like though since with the flex volt battery you can use a variety of tools. I keep the grease gun and the angle grinder on board as well. With a good 7inch disc the battery will last long enough to cut thru a tire to disassemble an alligator blowout

ramdough

Had this thread bookmarked for a while, and wanted to put my own summary on here, to get some clarification on a few items. Hats off to coachgeo for putting this thing together, but there were some specifics I still would like to clarify. I've included some size ranges on those I could find, since I noticed some came in sets, and listed the drive size for the air tools to get some further clarification on what's needed/necessary there:

NOTE: Some of these might seem like a "duh, how do you not have this already", but bear in mind I have basic tools for my Bimmer, but nothing larger/more complex.

Impact Sockets (deep well) 8-46mm/1" drive
Impact Sockets 8-46mm 1/2" drive
Allen Sockets 14-27mm 1" drive
Allen Sockets (sizes?) 1/2" drive
40" breaker bars x2 (1" and 1/2" drive)
Multi-meter
1" drive Air Impact Wrench
1/2" drive Air Ratchet
Compressor for impact and ratchet
Heavy Duty U-Joint Puller (Is this a serviceable one? Read a few internet fights over OEM Tools vs. OTC variants with no real conclusion on quality)
20-Ton Bottle Jack x2
Heavy wheel chocks x4
Air hose w/gladhand
So, you are the only one to list sizes of sockets....not to question your list, but what sizes does everyone actually think we should carry?

I personally would not overlap so fully on the impact sizes. An 8mm 1” drive sounds crazy to me.

Also, I would think some sizes you need multiples and some sizes you will never need.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themeec

You are correct about the ratchet/impact drive size. I was just listing the maximum drive you'd need, and shooting out some ballpark ranges. I find most sets with the smaller socket sizes, usually come with suitable-size ratchets and adapters.

The one thing I haven't found a burning need for (yet) is the allen head sockets. Otherwise a standard set of combination wrenches, couple-three socket sets ranging up to a 1/2" drive hand ratchet, are all that I've needed thus far ... oh, and a few very large funnels and vice grips.

ramdough

You are correct about the ratchet/impact drive size. I was just listing the maximum drive you'd need, and shooting out some ballpark ranges. I find most sets with the smaller socket sizes, usually come with suitable-size ratchets and adapters.

The one thing I haven't found a burning need for (yet) is the allen head sockets. Otherwise a standard set of combination wrenches, couple-three socket sets ranging up to a 1/2" drive hand ratchet, are all that I've needed thus far ... oh, and a few very large funnels and vice grips.
It would be nice if someone really knowledgeable (not me) put a list of all of the actual sizes and types needed. Say if you only wanted to carry the sizes on the truck.

What sizes do you need two or more of?

What is the max size socket (excluding the hub plugs)?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks