• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether Alternatives?

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like you I use alternate fuels and to get my flame heater to work I use
a mixture of #2 diesel and 25% gasoline from a small separate tank.

In more extreme conditions you might want to try using #1 diesel (kerosene).

Good luck.

Now that it's getting cold again (why's it keep doing that?) and I've read many, many times how BAD either is, what alternatives do we have?
We are running WMO so the flame heater doesn't work (and mine has the either kit w/ no bottle). I do start cutting it w/ gas or sometimes ATF but this is something that we run into at other times of the year as well. We may start the day at sea level and then spend the night above 8,000 where it may freeze that night. They don't always want to start the next morning being that we still have 100% WMO in them.

Are there GOOD alternatives available to us? Is Starting fluid just either?

I'm looking for some help here. Don't want to keep using SF at these times and don't want to spend the $50+ on a bottle for mine if it's that bad for the engine.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, bought a bottle at NAPA.
It looks like it's all hooked up to the switch that ran the "flame heater", so now a question, does that toggle just fire once when I move it (no matter how long I hold it), or is it on till I let it off?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure it's listed on the data plate, and in the -10TM, but here's the way it works.

Hold the toggle and it "loads", release the toggle and it "shoots it's load".

Only load and discharge while cranking.

If your system is installed correctly, there is a safety(temp sensor) that dis-arms the system above 40 degrees(iirc).

When the flame heater was removed and the ether kit was installed, it should have come with a new operational data plate explaining proper operation.

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks,
guess they thought it was too much work to change the data plate on mine.
It still tells me how to use the flame heater. I'll dig up the info in the TM as well just to be double clear ;)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have trouble finding it, PM me.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found nothing in the TM's, and Doghead is on a search for "old info" to help.
Does anyone have pictures of this Data Plate that should be on mine?

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Best I have used is a gas soaked tag near or around the mushroom seems to me to sound more natural than any of the sprays. And by the way on the 939 series with the 250 it states hold for three seconds.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! now is there some place I can get those data plates?
Would like to put one on the She Beast when I change her's over, she likes to read the instructions before starting (if she's not been driving for a while) and it would be good to have the right instructions ;)

Thank you Doghead for the amazing search -fu. I always end up using the wrong terms :-/

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a wanted ad, will help you find the data plate.

Searching for an hour, was better than watching the boob tube for an hour!

zout

Just for the sake of saying it - over the years I have seen and witnessed several trucks that once a starting fluid (per can - manually injected) was used that the units became addicted to the use of it - it became the only way they would start. Kind of like a drug addicted truck.

Another thing over the years in the deep deep cold areas I have seen drivers jump in a unit that had not been hooked up with block heater nor coolant heater that when they were fired up it blew the oil filter off the engine (thick as mud). They would fire them up and not let them idle to warm and wack on the throttle to lessen the time period for the unit to build air pressure. They were just mentally defecient on how thick the oil back then was when below freezing conditions existed.

As mentioned - the metered factory installed units are just that "metered" and work perfectly fine if used correctly.
Just my worthless .02 cents worth.

74M35A2

Just for the sake of saying it - over the years I have seen and witnessed several trucks that once a starting fluid (per can - manually injected) was used that the units became addicted to the use of it - it became the only way they would start. Kind of like a drug addicted truck.Another thing over the years in the deep deep cold areas I have seen drivers jump in a unit that had not been hooked up with block heater nor coolant heater that when they were fired up it blew the oil filter off the engine (thick as mud). They would fire them up and not let them idle to warm and wack on the throttle to lessen the time period for the unit to build air pressure. They were just mentally defecient on how thick the oil back then was when below freezing conditions existed.As mentioned - the metered factory installed units are just that "metered" and work perfectly fine if used correctly.Just my worthless .02 cents worth.
Supposedly the story on the crack addict is that was before they had lubricant in it, and it would wear the cylinder/rings to the point where it would lower cranking compression enough to not light off diesel with compression ignition anymore, but only ether. Some say it is a wives tale, others say it was actual. I don't think we hear of any of those cases anymore, and like doghead said, as long as it is not being used to supplement other engine deficiencies, then it should do what it is supposed to. The ether assist on the M939 series is limited in 3 ways by design: controlled volume and release (pre-fills a cup then releases), temp limit switch, and only during cranking. Would probably be easy to retro this system to any other vehicle. It has a maximum of 3 second fill time, so the only part I don't like is that the first 3 seconds of cranking are without it, but ok, otherwise, pretty well thought out...

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another alternative is to take a rag lightly soaked in gasoline and drape it over/in front of the intake path.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that I agree. A little gasoline in a spray bottle has been my "go to" this past fall/winter. I find it much gentler in the start up.
If I do use ether it's from a spray can and I use less then the mounted system.
With the gasoline I pull off the mushroom, spray a couple squirts on the air filter, walk around to the drives side, climb in and start it.

Used gas a few times in the past but didn't have a reason, or good way to carry it w/ me. Now one of the rigs in my Caravan/Crew is a gasoline eater and has a shorter range than the big trucks, so extra cans of fuel are w/ us. :) So far it's been the nicest starting aid I've used.

JasonS

Supposedly the story on the crack addict is that was before they had lubricant in it, and it would wear the cylinder/rings to the point where it would lower cranking compression enough to not light off diesel with compression ignition anymore, but only ether. Some say it is a wives tale, others say it was actual. I don't think we hear of any of those cases anymore, and like doghead said, as long as it is not being used to supplement other engine deficiencies, then it should do what it is supposed to. The ether assist on the M939 series is limited in 3 ways by design: controlled volume and release (pre-fills a cup then releases), temp limit switch, and only during cranking. Would probably be easy to retro this system to any other vehicle. It has a maximum of 3 second fill time, so the only part I don't like is that the first 3 seconds of cranking are without it, but ok, otherwise, pretty well thought out...
I never buyed into this tale. An occasional use of ether would wear the cylinders due to burning off oil but sustained 1200 EGT won't?

Csm Davis

Another alternative is to take a rag lightly soaked in gasoline and drape it over/in front of the intake path.
I think that was what I said but not sure, let me look.
Best I have used is a gas soaked tag near or around the mushroom seems to me to sound more natural than any of the sprays. And by the way on the 939 series with the 250 it states hold for three seconds.
Oh I see I said tag, not rag opps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks