• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Everything new, still wouldn't start on it's own - SOLVED!

dmetalmiki

I am following your problem,
My M45530C fire truck (Deuce) Has started with this exact issue.
Will NOT start without a shot of GT80 EASING SPRAY with TEFLON....Do not use ether.
The GT 80 does NOT create a 'Ping or Bang', The truck starts immediately on it.
(WD 40 does NOTHING!.) Will not start it.
New batteries cranks like a 2 year old.
Get this...Give it a 'tug' in 2nd gear high..about 2 feet! and whammo!! It fires right up. (No way is that pull a faster turn than the starter motor).
The truck has always and still does drive pull and accelerate like you would not believe.
Pulls up hills FULL of water hardly slowing like a sports car!.
I had the same problem with my 5 ton camper. (M54a2).
I changed EVERY THING!...ever...re..thing.
made no difference.
Then....eventually....I changed the......Hydraulic head.
Starts first time Every time now .

I will check my firetruck and report back to you..

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if we have removed the timing cover ( some call it the shut down cover) and the fuel control is moving free and clear. It is going to 7 o clock could be something simple. I have never seen it but if the shut down cover and the linkage that pulls back the fuel control unit assembly was not adjusted right it might not be letting it go to 7 o clock even with the shut down pushed in on the dash. There is no problem starting it with the cover off and if it starts just use your finger and push fuel control unit linkage to 4 o clock and it will shut down. You can also hold it with your finger in the 7 o clock and have someone else push starter button.

Av3fire

Well if we have removed the timing cover ( some call it the shut down cover) and the fuel control is moving free and clear. It is going to 7 o clock could be something simple. I have never seen it but if the shut down cover and the linkage that pulls back the fuel control unit assembly was not adjusted right it might not be letting it go to 7 o clock even with the shut down pushed in on the dash. There is no problem starting it with the cover off and if it starts just use your finger and push fuel control unit linkage to 4 o clock and it will shut down. You can also hold it with your finger in the 7 o clock and have someone else push starter button.

ok, so i turned the fuel on for about 60 seconds and tried to start.... nothing
so its not a "Loosing fuel pressure" thing

Held the fuel shutoff toward the radiator (was already forward in about the 7 o'clock position) and had my son push the start button...... nothing

i guess now i am on the hunt for a HH

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing the head is fairly straight forward and simple. The hardest part for me was getting the injection lines broken loose after years.
Biggest thing to remember is that once the (hopefully red pointer) is lined up the head slips right out. If it’s not coming out then your not lined up right. Don’t pry on it. A helper and a small mirror come in real handy for lining up the pointer.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this looks to be the route i will be going... i am watching the tactical repair video again...... but i am still nervous as hell to do this myself. I really do not want a 9 ton lawn ornament!
You can do it. You did the main fuel and did not break the stud so now you do the head. Also I pm you as I deleted your number so call me back when you can talk.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Actuall I'm telling 'porkiz'...One had the button missing from the bottom...I need a button and clip..( Anyone? ).
I guess I am a little lost, but the Porkiz is easy enough. Where the truth gets stretched a bit.
Button and a Clip just flew right over my head. :)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now they are $512 total shipped from his store in Indiana
store is at https://www.ebay.com/str/candcequipment?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
When we did the group buy several years ago I think the price was under $350 each, but the 'group' bought somewhere between 20 and 30. $512 would be about right for the markup on an item that has to be paid for in advance and sits on the shelf several years before being sold, even more reasonable if the quantity he ordered was less than five at a time. IMHO.

dmetalmiki

HA!..I jus' ada thunk!..(Same as a thought 'cept more intense...)
IF those two parts fall off, or the clip drops off,
Guess What??
The hydraulic head has a SHORTER STROKE!!
Result?
The engine will never start without 'squirty' stuff...GT80 is what I use...'softer non violent banging/ pre ignition detonation like ether.'.
Then it does and runs fine.
I bet ya YOUR clip has dropped off.
That is what has happened to my M45 fire truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks