• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust selector/Diverter???

andytk5

I searched for this and didnt see anything on this.

Has anyone used or come across a cable or elec operated exhaust selector (like the silent choice on cigarette boats)?? I would like to keep my open stack for fun, but be able to switch to an exhaust section run thru a muffler out to the rear.

This is the part for the power boats.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/pr...-2-Taller-riser-P81020-REPL_PLUS2,196815.aspx

anything like this or ideas on making one?

Last edited:

andytk5

Yeah I checked there and summit but only saw up to 3" plus they are 250-300, no cable one over 2.5".

Didnt know if somebody made their own?

bearboley

As I was typing I thought maybe 3'' would be as big as you could get, and I knew they were not cheap. then i was thinking that a exhaust y-pipe with a flapper in it would do the trick. But you would have to keep the flapper fit nice and tight and some nice steel bushings for the trough shaft weled to the pipe might not be very hard to do. Add a lever to the end of the shaft and a duece shut of cable and you would be making noise.

andytk5

Yeah good idea. I like what you mentioned. Seems like it may be a little tedious and take some time but definitely doable.

I just dont want to put a muffler in the stack,

andytk5

Awesome!! Thanks so much, I never came across that in my hours of searching here and google...

Dont have the truck yet so I havent measured the pipe but will the 4" size they have be better? Not sure on cfm needed or pipe size. Id probably set it straight for the stack and make the curved section connect to the rear exit muffler section.

srodocker

man i would love his for say fording. have it out the back but when you need to go deep just switch it to the stack and your golden...theres no 3 1/2 one :(

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually bought the one in Cranetruck's post. I have worked on it slowly to modify it to work on my M109. One of these days I'll get it mounted!

andytk5

Sweet! Post some pics when you get it fabbed up. I'm just waiting to get the truck to the house before I start oredering stuff (other than rubber coating, battery charge controoler etc..) Looks like I can just use the 4" model since the pipe is 3.5" from all my reading, could be mistaken. Then I was going to run 4" out the back through a muffler to make up for the muffler restriction, to increase flow. I'll retain the stack for fun and the keep things original. Other than flipping my tires dish out and touching up the tan paint I don't want the outside to stray much from original (at this point)..

Definitely want a matching 105 tan trailer too!

andytk5

Alright, got the system done all the way up to the muffler that sits on the passenger side in front of the 1st rear axle. The diverter works well, swaps between the stack and rear exit muffler so the truck still looks original. Makes a big difference with a "whislter" is all I can say. Not sure about any of the others.

The plan is to order some more 90's and 8' of 3.5" pipe to run it up over the axles, (instead of along the outside between the frame and rear tires) possibly over and central of the frame crossmembers then out the rear with a turndown in front of the rear bumber/hitch area. Somewhere in that area, won't really be able to see it which is the point.

caliber1

Alright, got the system done all the way up to the muffler that sits on the passenger side in front of the 1st rear axle. The diverter works well, swaps between the stack and rear exit muffler so the truck still looks original. Makes a big difference with a "whislter" is all I can say. Not sure about any of the others.

The plan is to order some more 90's and 8' of 3.5" pipe to run it up over the axles, (instead of along the outside between the frame and rear tires) possibly over and central of the frame crossmembers then out the rear with a turndown in front of the rear bumber/hitch area. Somewhere in that area, won't really be able to see it which is the point.
nopics

Ha, I finally get to post this.

andytk5

link for the 3 1/2 diverter? so interseted in this project
Don't think they make one. I used the 4" diverter and some reducers that I cut short to match up to the J-pipe. Then did a gnarly job making a complex bend to go around the battery box and then straight to the back/muffler etc..

nopics

Ha, I finally get to post this.
lol, man I know I know, I'll have some up tommorow after I get home. Ill shoot some tan on it too just for you guys! Don't judge my first time welding hehe:shock::shock:

rickf

You can get electric ones for high performance boats. I have a set of air operated ones but I am hanging on to them. The marine stuff is rather pricey though!

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks