• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expedition truck...

The Gimlis

Nice! It so good to see someone doing something like this. You will enjoy it! Be ready to show it off everytime you stop at the gas station, or store, because everyone wants to know what is it and you will be giving tours.

Good luck and if we can help in any way, let us know!

oldMan99

are you planning on staying in the lower 48 states? May have issues getting back into the USA otherwise..

Mike

reminds me of these:

Your First Choice for Russian Trucks and Military Vehicles - UK Russian

Your First Choice for Russian Trucks and Military Vehicles - UK Russian
Why would he have trouble getting back into the states?

Thanks for posting those links. First time I have seen that truck. I really like that spare carrier. I might do something like that for my spare.

Jarek M

Why would he have trouble getting back into the states?

Thanks for posting those links. First time I have seen that truck. I really like that spare carrier. I might do something like that for my spare.
I think he he is talking about the export thing witch doesn't apply to an MRV that you pan on bringing back home with you after you done with your cross border trip.

tamangel

there are several discussions in that thread talking about returning to the USA.. Not export and not coming back.. touring and returning..

Better do some heavy checking before you go thru the out bound gate....

Mike

thats a 3 year old thread, again, just friendly advice..check first..

Last edited:

stampy

Well if you are not going in to the really cold areas you could look at putting a pop up type camper on the back of a deuce or five ton. They wouldn't weigh a lot more than the bed and they can compress down to be the same height as the cab. Then you have the space underneath for storage or any tanks for water/sewage

Bighurt

Ok well, I'm going to keep these ieas on the back burner but I maybe leaning more towards getting an M820.

Reason being is their is far less modification required.

With all things being equal, I still have stuff to do with my M35, taking on a serious project with little budget may not be the best idea right now.

After drooling over Bliss's truck I think I would be plenty satisfied with the truck. In addition there are a few coming up in the next few weeks. Chances are the price will be less than an M920 or M916 atm.

I am also watching a M447 as well.

Actually now that I'm thinking of it the M820 would be a great mobile shop, and I've been looking for a work trailer...

To many choices...

oldMan99

Ok well, I'm going to keep these ieas on the back burner but I maybe leaning more towards getting an M820.

Reason being is their is far less modification required.

With all things being equal, I still have stuff to do with my M35, taking on a serious project with little budget may not be the best idea right now.

After drooling over Bliss's truck I think I would be plenty satisfied with the truck. In addition there are a few coming up in the next few weeks. Chances are the price will be less than an M920 or M916 atm.

I am also watching a M447 as well.

Actually now that I'm thinking of it the M820 would be a great mobile shop, and I've been looking for a work trailer...

To many choices...
Is the box part of a M820 truck the same box used on the M447 trailer?

How big is the deck part of the M447 (Assuming you have the smaller box under the overhang part of the large box.) How large is the deck with the "under box" gone?

Bighurt

Is the box part of a M820 truck the same box used on the M447 trailer?

How big is the deck part of the M447 (Assuming you have the smaller box under the overhang part of the large box.) How large is the deck with the "under box" gone?
I'm not sure they are indentical but they certainly are close. I'm actually trying to find interior dimensions of the M820. From the look of the platform its close to 8x8. I'm not sure what that box is...

Now I can't stop picturing a mobile carpentry work station...

Only downside to the M447 is I'd have to have a M818... don't twist my arm!

MASIC

I am considering designing and making a “Hard Wall Kit” to replace the stakes, bows and soft canopy on the 5Tons. The kit will replace everything from the bed box sides up. I figured that this kit would be kind of like a canopy with a 6’2” celling height. The back wall near the tail gate will include an entry door with window and a fold down staircase similar to what is found in smaller aircraft. The tail gate will be used to block the rear door in position when driving the truck. I can add windows to the sides and front walls as needed. This canopy will include 4 drop down single man bunks off of the walls, wood burning stove or 60,000BTU diesel fired heater. I can make space for a sleeper bunk above the road cab. Just a simple set up. I will try to provide drawings in the near future when our engineers are crying for something to do.
All will be aluminum of course.

eldgenb

I am considering designing and making a “Hard Wall Kit” to replace the stakes, bows and soft canopy on the 5Tons. The kit will replace everything from the bed box sides up. I figured that this kit would be kind of like a canopy with a 6’2” celling height. The back wall near the tail gate will include an entry door with window and a fold down staircase similar to what is found in smaller aircraft. The tail gate will be used to block the rear door in position when driving the truck. I can add windows to the sides and front walls as needed. This canopy will include 4 drop down single man bunks off of the walls, wood burning stove or 60,000BTU diesel fired heater. I can make space for a sleeper bunk above the road cab. Just a simple set up. I will try to provide drawings in the near future when our engineers are crying for something to do.
All will be aluminum of course.
I don't know if you have considered this by it sounds like a 12' communications shelter in the back would be a better choice, you can even remove if for resale or multiple truck use.

Johnny319

expandable cargo attachment thingy

The inside of the expanding vans seems like a cavern after being inside a M109 van body.

At 17 foot long and 14 foot wide expanded its larger then some apartments I have lived in and most of the hunting cabins as well. I plan on expanding the over cab section and removing the monster AC/heater unit in this vehicle so I can utilize the over cab area as a full size bed. That will make the over all van body length closer to 23 feet. As well as adding a wheel chair access sliding bulkhead door behind where the passenger seat is now

With better insulation there will not be a need for a heater/ac unit that large. The one in my M820A2 takes up most of the 8 foot wide 3 foot deep space over the cab. You can see it in pic 2. I am going to remove the over head ventilation and electrical panels to give me more head room at 6'4 it would be a headache literally. "Luckily" for me the discs in my back gave me another 2 inches to work with and at 6'2 its a constant reminder to watch my head.

I am adding propane however as the propane injection systems offered by companies like bully dog and pro diesel tech will boost fuel mileage and give me a cleaner burn on my 3.30 a gallon diesel. Throwing in a small propane generator instant water heater and range as back up for my solar panels and battery bank isnt a stretch. I am going to have a small and I mean REALLY small wood burning stove tucked away some where on the vehicle in case all else fails. I plan on going way out in the boonies anything that can extend my time away from town is a possible addition if I can find the space. I am planning on mounting panels topside with a protective frame " no details yet " to tilt/stand up vertical since I am planning on doing most of my camping in Alaska the sun is always south. As long as I park east to west or close to it I can stand them up when not in motion along the same lines as the folding guard rails around the perimeter of the lift gate. Putting rails like that on the long sides of the van body roof I could string a couple cables front and back for safety and have a 17 foot by 14 ft rooftop deck. I want to throw on a commo mast mounted driver side opposite the exhaust, pneumatic or electric for a small wind turbine as well. Again redundancy for duration in the woods. Making the fold outs slide outs is first on the list however.

where can i find one for sale? or is this custom?

MASIC

I don't know if you have considered this by it sounds like a 12' communications shelter in the back would be a better choice, you can even remove if for resale or multiple truck use.
I agree but it’s not unique. I’m currently working for a company who builds custom oil field equipment. These guys are a registered body builder. I have seen these radio shelters and see your point. I was thinking more on the lines of something one off, unique and mine (the way I want it).

The radio shelters that I have access to are rusted, damaged or too expensive. For me there would be the time to look for a good one, find a way to ship it, cost of shipping, customs / border fee’s, unloading and storage, modification plan time, modifications, repairs of hidden damage / rust ….. Doing the mods and make it look like a factory install to some degree, blast and paint.

My way, buy material, start from a clean slate. Build, prep for paint, paint and install. The cost is another good reason. Everything is more expensive here. I have a job up here that pays me twice the hourly I had back home but I have less in the Bank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks