• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expedition truck...

Bighurt

Those are bad a$$ I was looking at them but they are faily expensive.

And you still end up with the same issues as the M820. You can't have perminantly mounted fixtures in expansion part.

I'm still doddling ideas. And I still have to sketch a truck for another members plans. I'm sure he's anxious.

My biggest issues are my 3 hurdles, and winning an auction isn't one of them.

-Wife
-Storage space
-Expense justification

They are listed in order of hardest to easiest....

oldMan99

I have considered doing a similar project with my M923 and a highly modified 20 ft shipping container which would be widened and a whole pile of other stuff done to it. Then I decided to bob it instead : /

What about making a large frame and doing something like this?
Products Militr Expanding Shelters
The outside width of a connex is 96". You can only go to 102" wide ad still be legal. 6" does not seem worth all the trouble and expense of splitting and splicing a 20' box. That's 80 continuous feet of welding just for the floor and ceiling and another 16 or so feet for the front wall.

No wonder you decided not to do that!

Bighurt

I really like this shelter...
You won't like the $115000 price tag though...

Sometimes I wonder what people do for a living... seriously! Selling new york, these peoples rents are higher than my house cost!.

All I want is a truck...

I wonder if anybody has made their own MECC..?

ACBMWM#

The outside width of a connex is 96". You can only go to 102" wide ad still be legal. 6" does not seem worth all the trouble and expense of splitting and splicing a 20' box. That's 80 continuous feet of welding just for the floor and ceiling and another 16 or so feet for the front wall.

No wonder you decided not to do that!
Basically you said exactly why I didn't hahahaha.

eldgenb

Do you mean me?
I would not take that personal, I don't think he meant you, I think he was talking in relativity to how someone can build a shelter and expect someone to have the expendable income available to purchase something like that, at least that is what I got from his comment. Us PNW boys gotta stick together.

ACBMWM#

I would not take that personal, I don't think he meant you, I think he was talking in relativity to how someone can build a shelter and expect someone to have the expendable income available to purchase something like that, at least that is what I got from his comment. Us PNW boys gotta stick together.
True. I don't think most of those companies expect Joe Blow to buy one though ya know. I think they expect more like US DOD to buy them haha.

Bighurt

True. I don't think most of those companies expect Joe Blow to buy one though ya know. I think they expect more like US DOD to buy them haha.
Yeah Eldgen got it right I wasn't refering to anyone in particular. At least not on SS. Most of us, know what it takes to work for a living.

I wonder if the inflated prices the DOD pays for stuff has effected the economy in the negative.

Back to the subject. I don't think I'm going to find a commercial source within my price range. Better order a bunch of aluminum and build myself something nice.

That of course will be well after the M820. Now I just need to get me one. Or find an M934 I suppose.

Like I said in a pm to another getting an M820 is more practicle for me not only becuase of the low initial cost. But registration is a flat $10 for the life of the vehicle...can't beat that. Particularly since registration goes off weight and capacity divided into a forumla that reduces cost in ratio to the year of manufacture. Even at 30 years old an M920 would still be more than $10.

I don't know about insurance yet. Better call State Farm after i win of course...if it ever happens.

LOL

Cheers and sorry for the confusion.

eldgenb

speaking of which you have a very nice collection, I already asked stewart if I could come over and see his tracks, I would love to see that M.A.N. they did not have any of those when I was in the service.

Bighurt

My M820A2 is not for sale. Your in luck however if your after a M820 I know where you can find some.

No lift gates on them but you could save a fortune in shipping.

How you customize them is up to you.
Great now I've attracted attention and competition... oh bother.

Bighurt

DOD contracts inflate pricing quite a bit. Trust me of all people I know. (if you see what I do for a living)
Its funny to look up what DOD pays for an what they actually get for there money. It's really sad...
I hate LRS... LOL

The main item I work with doesn't have a price tag. At least not one that is disclosed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks