• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Experimental Deuce?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was/am intrigued by the 2 piece steering column, and power steering pump and the wheels.......I'd really like to know more about the wheels......

Looks like a different manual tranny with the same/stock T-case also......

scooter01922

Hmmm, intercooled cummins, i like. Cool truck, i hope its somewhere other than at the scrapper. Wonder where i can get a stack like that, looks cool and appears to have at least a small muffler built in.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
So where these a concept, or did they really go into full scale production?, I'd really like to find out more about these trucks, they have ALOT of features that would be great to adapt to an M35A2.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They built alot of them, most went overseas. I had 2 different kits from them to install a Cummins in a duece (both sold) there are companies that install the 5.9 still (but you will pay for it).

nattieleather said:
I know the 6BT is a work horse of a motor, but I would think it to be a little under powered in the big heavy duce. What say all of you?
actually i would say if you compare power and such to the 12v vs the multifuel i think the 12v will win in the power and TQ.. but either motor can be built up to be a monster.. the 12v is the most common for high performance.. weight dont mean as much on power as gearing does

scooter01922

The long and short of it would be yes, although your cummins would be a bit more advanced in the computer aspect. Its a great engine and with a little tweaking and a few bolt on parts it would make a stock multi wet the bed.

area52

6bt

Now I might be wrong but I have been told or read somewhere that the 5.9 6BT Cummins was originally designed as a "medium duty" engine. I believe that it is way more "adaptable" and upgradeable than the older designed multi fuel.

I have read of such numbers as 800 hp and 1000 ft-lbs torque on these engines when properly "tweaked".

RE: 6bt

the most ideal 5.9 12v that is seeked out is the 94-98 12v. it has the better pump, intercooled, and is still mechanical and very much wanted. I just acquired a 96 model compete engine outta NY. Now to get it home.

steelandcanvas good year, keep that motor [thumbzup]
area there is guys pushing 500 hp and 1100 ft tq and still use there trucks as a daily driver. The 12v is a very well liked engine.

Elwenil

Re: 6bt

area52 said:
Now I might be wrong but I have been told or read somewhere that the 5.9 6BT Cummins was originally designed as a "medium duty" engine. I believe that it is way more "adaptable" and upgradeable than the older designed multi fuel.

I have read of such numbers as 800 hp and 1000 ft-lbs torque on these engines when properly "tweaked".
That is correct, when Dodge decided to get back into the diesel pickup business in the late 80s, they wanted to leapfrog the competition and offer an engine that surpassed everything else offered. Using a medium duty truck engine was elementary and typical of Ma Mopar's "use a bigger stick" thinking from the 60s. To me it was a very wise decision since the 6BT has proven that can far outlast the other designs of the big three.

And yes, a 6BT with jerk a Deuce around much better than a multifuel. Not to say that there is anything wrong with a multifuel, but that it's a question of technology advancement and the design for the intended use. The 6BT is simply more advanced and goes above and beyond what the Deuce was originally designed for. Which makes it an idea replacement engine for civilian owners who want more than the military's requirements.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks