• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

Heavysteven

The color code for CARC green worked at the Home Depot I went to. The only difference is they have an L at the end of the code.

FYI he saved it at Green CARC at the Buford Ga HD off 985 and highway 20.

unaffiliated

Waterproofing Canvas.

I thought I would post this for a few guys from a couple pages back. When I worked at the Mercedes dealer in Sandy Springs, GA, the trim guys would use Thompson's Water Seal on the canvas soft tops on the MB's. The same water seal you would put on your deck at home. It seemed to work well, and it was warranty approved.

I can't wait to try the Behr house paint on my 1008. Even if it is not the exact "politically correct" color, the truck will look a heck of a lot better than it does now. I am even thinking of painting an old Mercedes I have with this color and "militarizing" it like a CUCV, complete with grill guard and tie down hooks. I just think it would be cool to drive around in. Maybe even camo the thing, what the heck.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do you have to thin the paint if your using an air gun? Is this the reason you guys buy the airless?
Yep a little water makes it spray much more better. I think some use the airless because the don't all ready have a paint setup and it is cheaper way than compressor, moisture separator, gun.

SteveKuhn

"Do you have to thin the paint if your using an air gun?... HeavySteven"

Based on what I've read here and the way my trailer turned out with an HVLP gun on the previous page, the less it's thinned or mixed with Floetrol or the like, the rougher, more CARC like the finish gets. If you want smooth, I think you've gotta do one or the other along with playing with the gun settings.

Steve

Blueduce

Here's my info. I had Lowes color match from one of the fiberglass bed stakes. I think it turned out rather well. I used there Ultra premium Valspar Exterior flat finish 100% acrylic.
These are the numbers above the bar code 101-4Y12, 102-1Y20, 107-5Y30, 113-36
These are the numbers below the bar code 2601-B-61071

Attachments

Blueduce

You bet ya... Maybe I'll be "Not so Blue Deuce" or "The Deuce formerly known as Blue" Either way this time I'll spell Deuce correctly before I hit enter. aua

Scrounge41

Another reason for using an airless besides not having to thin the paint is not having to keep the gun mostly vertical as you would with a conventional cup gun or hvlp rig which is beneficial if you are having to paint under the truck. Luckily the paint on the underside of my truck is in really good shape. I'll be using one of my hvlp rigs to shoot the topside on mine.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sherwin Williams makes Carc! Go to the industrial coating and they will have it. You will need to have a business to purchase it at some locations!
Sherwin Williams makes it but they won't sell it to me even though we have an OEM account there.

They say that the sales are restricted.

Scrounge41

I got the same answer. Went to my local SW and they checked with the industrial lines rep and he told them there was some kind of shop certification required to purchase it.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sherwin Williams Paint Codes for 383 Green and Flat Black

Sherwin Williams did a great job of matching 383 Green for me today.

I used their Exterior Resilence which is known for it's quick resistance to water spotting after just a few hours of drying.

Edit: removed photo of mix code. Updated 383 Green formula which is a perfect match to my eye, is on the next page in this thread or click here.

Attachments

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

Allowing for tint being off due to my monitor and your camera - - -

That's very interesting because it's darker than most 383 formulas I've seen posted as well as my spray cans from Gillespie. It looks almost exactly like the green on my 101A3 and many of the other parts.

What did you use for a matching sample?

Steve

Scrounge41

That looks a lot darker than the Carc on the underside of my truck as well. Mine appears to have a lot more yellow in it. I wish I had a good sample of what the brown should be. My brown and black on the topside of the truck is pretty faded.

SteveKuhn

Perhaps this will help. It's a picture of my truck (right) and another as they came out of the Guard in the early/mid 90's. The bumper is the brown of the camo and the photo, though a bit washed out, is very much what I found when I prepped.

I wasn't doing camo so I can't say how close the Gillespie cans are. I have all the greens, however.

The greens in the photo are the yellow-ish ones I think you're talking about.

Steve

Attachments

Scrounge41

Yeah, the green on the bumper on the left one looks right on with mine. I can't really tell about the brown from your pic. I didn't think about it before, but I have a friend who painted a deuce with the Gillespie recently and I'll take some paint sample cards over to that truck and see what I can match up. I've said it before, but it isn't usually about trucks-That's a nice pair!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks