• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I talked to my local Sherwin Williams manager asking for a few gallons of 686 CARC and from what he told me that the CARC that they sell to the military is the same stuff that they sell for use on exterior house paint :shock:. Was anyone aware of this?

mikey

I bought a gallon of this today:

Here is Mike/wsucougarsx formula for 383 CARC

Home Depot - Base = Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat, Matte Deep Base #4300

Colorant............. OZ... 384th
AX-Perm Yellow... 2....... 68
D-Thalo Green..... 1...... 16
KX-White............. 0...... 112
L-Raw Umber...... 8....... 80

I am going to use it to paint my new oak uprights for the bows.

I will also test this paint on two oil filter housings i removed from my deuce when i added spin on oil filters. I will try one with rustoleum primer and one without. I'll post results in a few weeks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I know is I spent about an hour with 40grit DA sandpaper today trying to feather out Vietnam era OD green off a M37 fender that was applied by the military with a brush. It was well cured to say the least. It wouldn't have been too bad if it wasn't for the ridges from the brush strokes.

wsucougarx

I bought a gallon of this today:

Here is Mike/wsucougarsx formula for 383 CARC

I am going to use it to paint my new oak uprights for the bows.

I will also test this paint on two oil filter housings i removed from my deuce when i added spin on oil filters. I will try one with rustoleum primer and one without. I'll post results in a few weeks.
Outstanding Mikey, just an FYI. When the paint first goes on it doesn't look like the correct color. When she dries it's an exact match;-)

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a paint sample off my Tan M818 to Home Depot and got the current version of the Behr Premium Plus ultra flat paint. I just got the small sample can of paint to try out. The sample paint chip came from the right side engine access cover. When the truck was repainted they painted the rubber gasket and the paint came off easy. I'm using Valspar oil based red oxide primer I got at Tractor supply. My paint prep was washing with Dawn dish washing detergent using a stiff bristle brush. Here's what I found.

The paint on the truck is faded a little; I expected that, but thought since I had a paint chip I would get it to match better. The sample paint matches the paint chip exactly. I guess since it was on the side it didn't get full sun. The paint does match the inside of the doors. I repainted the top of the doors where there was surface rust and I cannot tell any difference. I touched up several other places and some you can see the color difference and some you can't.

I'm finishing my touch up tests next week and if the paint looks OK, I'll just repaint the whole truck. I'm only sanding and priming where it is rusty. The places I touched up on the bumper without priming didn't come off when I pressure washed it a few days ago so I don't think adhesion will be a problem.

1954m37

I just bought a gallon of Olypic semi gloss It is Called Walnut Grove #D68-6, It matches Gilespi coating's late wwII paint. I amgoing to start with the door to my shop then see what else I paint ODG.

mikey

Outstanding Mikey, just an FYI. When the paint first goes on it doesn't look like the correct color. When she dries it's an exact match;-)
Last weekend I tried the gallon of paint from home depot referenced in my previous post:

I sanded all my bows and painted them, painted all my uprights and sanded / painted the front rack behind the cab. I was happy with this paint, the color was great and it went on easily with a cheap hvlp paint sprayer:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-518080...QI48/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1309390945&sr=8-6

However, I also painted one oil filter housing. I did not cut the paint with anything. I did run an angle grinder with wire over the housing before painting. However, after four days of curing I can scratch the paint off with my finger nail. I painted the housing Saturday and just scratch tested it now (Wednesday). It's been outside for a few days curing in the sun. We have had no rain.

What am I doing wrong?

I have not seen my truck since Sunday. I'll check how the paint is holding on the wood this weekend.

This weekend I'll also try painting the other oil filter housing. I'll try priming first as recommended in post #15

thx

Mikey

Last edited:

stumps

Ordinary latex paints tend to adhere poorly to metals. They work better with a primer meant for metals... the water based primer made by Rustoleum works very well. Surface preparation is important too. Nothing sticks to oily metal surfaces.

I have had lousy luck with Behr paints. I did my whole house with HD's Behr paint, and it never really got hard.... it seems hard, but if anything leans against the wall for more than a day, or so, it will stick and pull up the paint. I would go with just about any other brand. Valspar has been good.

-Chuck

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Your not applying the paint over metal, your applying over existing paint. I had a thread sometime back on the use of the Behr and Valspar, I too found that rusty metal or bare metal must be cleaned and PRIMED before applying the house paints. I would choose the Behr over the valspar because it went on smoother and I liked the sheen level better. As for adhesion, well. All the above being said I decided several weeks ago to ditch the house paint and go with the proper enamel. I would never be happy until I did so, and I knew it. The house paints are a BEAR to remove. Luckily I only did the gas tank, fenders, bumper, grill, hood, tailgate, mudflaps and half the cargo bed with the stuff. I've had to use an angle grinder with those 50 grit stripping pads to take most of the truck down to bare metal. Not even a power washer would harm the house paints. In fact, they adhere so well and dry so hard that somebody on here commented that it's strikingly similar to the new water based CARC, if not the same stuff with a different label. I would agree wholeheartedly and if I had a CARC painted truck I would not be afraid to use matched BEHR or Valspar as a touch up paint. On a more positive note, I've got most of the paint off and most of my body work done.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I am so impressed with behr that my 68 will be receiving a full behr treatment in 3 color camo next week if the weather improves. New thread will follow.

Truckie

Great Thread! - Thanks for BEHR numbers. I am going to match the Krylon Camo Rattle can. That way I will make for easy touch down the road (not sure how the Kyrlon over latex will work). I will post picts when done with the M105. Attached is the HD BEHR match to the Krylon Camo

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks