• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

twlinks

Aren't the Porch & Floor/Patio paints pretty glossy? All of them I've ever used have been and the only ones that have ever held up over any period of time have been the oil based paints. I know there are latex versions out there and they have a much lower sheen to them, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up as well as the oil.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am losing track of the colors being used. Which brown is this? I like it a lot.
That would be Vietnam era OD 24087 code for home depot paint

UP Date 4/12/15 Remember a lot of the older posts with Behr #'s on the lids are not true FS they were color matched, so start with a clean slate.
Tell the clerk the list of the FS codes in the HD paint computer is found by going under "Competitor Color look up" and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter just the five number code.

Last edited:

DoctorCheney223

Bump... How is the Latex paint holding up? Thinking of painting my M101A2 in the next month and will probably be using Sherwin Williams. One of the SW shops is 2 miles down the road. I plan on using a HVLP spray gun and using floetrol. I am looking for a smoother finish than the CARC finish that is on the trailer now.

What about the porch and patio paint that someone mentioned?? Are there any advantages to Porch and Patio paint over regular exterior Latex house paint?

Thanks
Jeff
Our trucks have one year of Vegas summer sun and approaching our second (already hitting 100 degrees) and the paint still looks like we just sprayed it. No flaking, peeling or lifting.

BTW, here is another truck that we just recently finished for a new location that we are opening. I know the color scheme will horrify some of you but this one and the other comms trucks are for the COD and MW gamer crowd. The tires/rims still need cleaning and painting but you can see where we are going. The other comms truck in the back will be getting the subdued camouflage pattern without the blue colors.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our trucks have one year of Vegas summer sun and approaching our second (already hitting 100 degrees) and the paint still looks like we just sprayed it. No flaking, peeling or lifting.

BTW, here is another truck that we just recently finished for a new location that we are opening. I know the color scheme will horrify some of you but this one and the other comms trucks are for the COD and MW gamer crowd. The tires/rims still need cleaning and painting but you can see where we are going. The other comms truck in the back will be getting the subdued camouflage pattern without the blue colors.
HOLY COW Ron, that will sure get folks' attention!

BTW, what part of town is the "new location" at?

DoctorCheney223

HOLY COW Ron, that will sure get folks' attention!

BTW, what part of town is the "new location" at?

It's directly behind Circus Circus on Industrial Road and Circus Circus Drive. We have a little over 5 acres of property that is being transformed into a FOB with various periods of US military history. Employees will be required to keep military fitness and grooming standards because they are being hired as actors and will be in uniform while at work. Uniforms will vary from WWII, Vietnam and the GWOT with not only US personnel, but also in ALLIED/COALITION uniforms.

You are more than welcome to drive onto the property Monday through Friday while are the construction workers are onsite. We have 12 Deuces, two GPW's, one M-151, one WC-53, one HMWWV and a Huey UH-1C.

All of the vehicles have been painted with Lowe's or Home Depot paint and it's held up and looks SO close to the original.

Attachments

michigan4x4

It's directly behind Circus Circus on Industrial Road and Circus Circus Drive. We have a little over 5 acres of property that is being transformed into a FOB with various periods of US military history. Employees will be required to keep military fitness and grooming standards because they are being hired as actors and will be in uniform while at work. Uniforms will vary from WWII, Vietnam and the GWOT with not only US personnel, but also in ALLIED/COALITION uniforms.

You are more than welcome to drive onto the property Monday through Friday while are the construction workers are onsite. We have 12 Deuces, two GPW's, one M-151, one WC-53, one HMWWV and a Huey UH-1C.

All of the vehicles have been painted with Lowe's or Home Depot paint and it's held up and looks SO close to the original.

Good News.... That is what I wanted to hear. Seems as if the house paint / porch& patio are the ticket. I think I am going to head into the local Sherwin Williams and have them mix me up some paint.

I do have a HVLP spray gun that I plan on using. Again, I am new to painting anything (especially vehicles) so I just want to make sure that I get this right the first time.

VSE Corp "refurbished" my M101 in 2007. The CARC it was painted with is in pretty good shape so, here is what I was thinking:

1) Pull trailer box from trailer frame - DONE
2) Power wash and degrease everything.
3) "Scuff" the CARC paint using a scotch bright pad or equivalent sand paper.
4) Powerwash and Degrease both frame and bed.
5) Let dry
6) Prime? Should I prime the entire scuffed surface that I plan on painting or just the areas that are down to bare metal/rust? I was thinking of using Rustoleum Rusty metal primer (The orange/red stuff). Opinions?
7) Let Primer dry for several days if not a week or two
8 - Scuff Primer? Is this necessary?
9) Spray Bed and frame with HVLP gun and 10% water/floetrol mixed with either Porch & Patio or Exterior Latex house paint (I want a smooth finish)
10) Let first coat dry to touch and paint 2 additional coats.
11) I am going to use a product called "Monstaliner" to as a bed liner which will be rolled on. It is getting some very good reviews on the Jeep forums.

So let me know if I Missed anything or should add/skip a step.

Thanks!
Jeff

michigan4x4

Last thing... I was just looking that the Sherwin williams website and it seems they have many types of exterior paint. "Resillience", "Super Paint", "Duration" and "all surface enamel" fit into their exterior house paint line... Then looking at porch and patio it looks like they have "Porch and Patio Enamel"..

Anyone familiar with the S&W line?

Thanks

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm very familiar with the Sherwin Williams line. I recommend the Resilience for this application. If you read back a few pages you will find good high res photos of the mix labels. But I recommend you take the easy way out. Tell them you want "383 Green" from the Tualatin Oregon store in Resilience and they will be able to mix you some paint that will match perfect. The other colors you will need are Tricorn Black which is one of their standard mixes and "Army Truck Brown" from the Tualatin Oregon store.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for your other questions, you really only need primer over bare metal, but you do have to ensure you have it scratched up good so the top coat has some tooth. It also MUST be clean. No grease or oil or nothing is going to stick to it.

michigan4x4

Thanks to Beerslayer and SteveKuhn. I appreciate the help. Depending on the weather here in MI, I should start the painting process in the next two weeks or so..

Jeff

SteveKuhn

If you can get some metal or bent/scrap body parts from a shop, try your paint choice and develop your technique a bit before doing the truck. The undercarriage is a pain but mistakes are usually well-hidden. Flaws on the body are much more visible.

Steve

Scrounge41

I second the Resilience endorsement. It is not as cheap as the Behr, but cheap paint in my mind is not always a wise option. You will have a hard time trying to "scuff" CARC, and its not necessary. Clean off the dirt and grease and if the paint is tight, go right over it. Unfortunately, SW just had a 40% off sale on their paint. My paint job is camo and I couldn't get tight lines with my HVLP spray fan, so I used a conventional gravity cup gun to do the edges after filling in the field with the HVLP.

hollywood

i had gotten all my paint from ace hardware. they matched the color of there camo paint .it turned out very well i however used automotive primer.no chipping or pealing just flat ext.house paint.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My paint job is camo and I couldn't get tight lines with my HVLP spray fan, so I used a conventional gravity cup gun to do the edges after filling in the field with the HVLP.
I was wondering how I was going to get those lines tightened up. I had thought to thin the paint some more and use a detail gun. Do you think the HVLP gun just isn't capable of atomizing the paint good enough?

Scrounge41

I was wondering how I was going to get those lines tightened up. I had thought to thin the paint some more and use a detail gun. Do you think the HVLP gun just isn't capable of atomizing the paint good enough?
As far as my gun goes, the paint is too atomized, ie: the spray fan is wide and hard to focus. Usually that is a good thing because I'm typically shooting lacquer and you want it to blend so you need a lot of overlap. If you have a detail gun that would probably work great. I laid out the camo pattern from the TM with a sharpie and painted the lines. I found it was pretty easy to come back with the other color if you are not happy with a particular line and it didn't get streaky so touch ups weren't a problem.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ^^ is beautiful work. Did you have any trouble with the sharpie bleeding through? I know the manual recommends chalk, I wonder if that causes any adhesion problems?

SPCWarning

Butterbean's new shade of green....$26 total

Finally got the CUCV painted. I had a good bit of the green latex left over that helped me decide Butterbean's name, so I bought some darker green, mixed unitl I got as close as I could to CARC green and went with it.
It still needs another light coat or two but it's a good 10-footer now. I may even go back with the camo pattern eventually.
Not perfect but I love the way it looks compared to the old Forestry-looking color that was on it.

Jimmy
edit: BLP Mobile Paint was the darker latex I used to get the color, mixed with the Lowe's light green.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks