• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

The camo or Strata Blue would both make a great looking truck.
I'm kind of fond of the all green version. Friends in during that era tell me most of the AF Deuces they remember were OD, not camo.
Forest green seems like it would work well but I'd really like to know what it was originally painted. It has no signs of camo, just green.

I've played with this a bit more.
I went to Hobby Lobby and found Testors model paint in dark green 34079. Forest green, 34127, wasn't there.
From the 34079 sample, Home Depot matched and mixed an 8 oz. sample.
I sprayed half of the passenger door access panel and it's no where close to the existing color. The photo is in direct sunlight.
Any ideas as to what the original color is?

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to Hobby Lobby and found Testors model paint in dark green 34079. Forest green, 34127, wasn't there.
I sprayed half of the passenger door access panel and it's no where close to the existing color. The photo is in direct sunlight.
The Aervoe 997B (24084 Olive Drab semi gloss) is an almost perfect match for Vietnam era OD. Get a can and use as sample for your mixing.

Attachments

roady

That looks like the 383 Green to me. I have included a picture of one I am painting now with Latex and in the background is an Air Force Deuce that still has the original paint on it for you to compare. The dark green on the AF Deuce appears to be faded 383 but there is also a lighter shade of green on it.

Attachments

That looks like the 383 Green to me. I have included a picture of one I am painting now with Latex and in the background is an Air Force Deuce that still has the original paint on it for you to compare. The dark green on the AF Deuce appears to be faded 383 but there is also a lighter shade of green on it.
I'll head back to HD and get a sample of 383 as per Mike's recipe.
Thanks for the photos.

topgun217

Dont know if this helps, when I sprayed the HD paint, it did dry a shade lighter than when I brushed it on a small section.

I kinda goofed when I thined it out to spray it, I used what I thought was a small amount of warm water but trust me, a little bit of water goes a long way. Today I'm gonna try again but I think I'm gonna stay with the Flotrol alone and see how that goes.

* donnerwetter58, The Air Force did not have their cucv's painted any differently than the Army. The M1008 and the M1009 I drove in the A/F were both 3 color camo just like the Army. Most overseas A/F vehicles were camo except for passenger cars. Other vehicles used on the ramp areas or flightline were flat green. Now I'm talking durring the 80's, I have seen units returning to the states with the desert tan and desert camo as well. I hope this helps.

SPCWarning

Olympic Latex

Bought a gallon (yep, only one) of Olympic Latex at Lowe's today, Exterior Flat. I was in a hurry to buy materials for carpentry project, so I just picked one of their samples. (not recommended if you're restoring an MV). I worked til dark on the project, then HAD to try some of the paint. Wiped down the best quarter on the 1009, and the hood I just acquired and primed, with thinner, started rolling..........yes, rolling on the paint. It went on very smoothly, and a lot lighter than the sample........dang. Waited patiently for it to dry, and it dried exactly like the sample, very close to the CARC green. Close enough that the untrained eye won't tell once the entire truck's painted. Only one coat covered VERY well, smoothed out VERY well, and the only mistakes are where the military touched up with a paint brush. I'll sand before I do any more, but I'm really pleased with the results so far. The good part is, it only used about 1" of paint out of the gallon to one-coat an entire quarter and the hood! I'll get the rest of the truck painted asap, and upload more pics. Thanks for all the ideas on this thread!
p.s. I'm NOT restoring mine, just want it to look better than it does now.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

If you use a quality paint brush it will come out really nice, I just opted for the sprayer because I wanted a rough texture.

SPCWarning

yeah, the only spray gun I have now is an old pot gun that I've tried on an old car fender and it's not any good at all. I do want to get an hvlp asap, but for now the rollin' is not too bad. I will have to "cut in" around the small crevices with a brush, but I used to paint houses so that won't be too hard. The Olympic paint really does level out well. Thanks!

topgun217

Went to the Home Depot to get more paint today:cookoo: I'm beginning to wonder if those people have any.....well....brains. The last time there I had no problem getting the paint. Today, a different story......shoot me now I begged the wife. This guy had no clue what he was doing. I gave him the paint codes as posted here on page #1, I even gave him the sample pint with the paint code affixed to it........finally he scanned a sample he smoothed onto a paint stir and let it dry and then said......"yep, that code is already in here, probably when you got it here before.....when did you get it here before? I told him 2 weeks ago and that I would be back in a few minutes as I had to go have cigarette and kick the side of the building.

I did get the " CARC substitute brown" it looks like it may be too dark but if it is I may travel 35 miles to another Home Depot to get it.

SPCWarning

What NAP roller did you use? Try a foam one next time. Jim
That WAS a foam roller!. It's one for cabinets/doors. A lot of the texture on the truck is the old touch-ups from the Army with a paint brush and roller. I've tried sanding some of the brush strokes off but some are too stubborn. Once the paint is cured I want to try wet sanding a small section and see what happens. It really is a little too coarse like it is. Looks good from a distance tho. It's raining right now so soon as another clear day comes around I'll get it out of the shop and take some pics (from a distance) Thanks,
Jimmy

SPCWarning

Thanks!

Yep, I have sanded a good bit on the CARC on my 1009, but I absolutely wear a respirator while doing so! It's more dangerous to spray, but there are enough tiny particles of that nasty stuff while sanding to do damage to the respiratory system (and more). Thanks for the advise, and EVERYONE should know about this before sanding or blasting CARC.

SPCWarning

I think it looks alright. I just rolled the back end of my m1009 and used a small roller, I know looks arent important back there. I waiting to spray the rest of the truck due to rain as well.
That's great! Post some pics when it's finished. Mine I've already come to this conclusion, will look like crap warmed over. lol It's the color, not the job. Kinda looks like a giant butterbean (that's what my son said anyway lol)........Well folks, looks like my CUCV just got its new and permanent name! Butterbean.

SPCWarning

Olympic Latex again

Got Butterbean about 80% finished. Still gotta get some sanding/priming done on the front fenders, then buff and paint the bumpers, grille guard, and grille. The flourescent lights make the color a lot lighter than it actually is. Still looks much better than before. The 'glass top is still black primered, and it'll stay that way for a while. Still gotta get more sanding/smoothing done up there where the CARC black paint seems to have messed up the fiberglass in spots. This is just showing what $28 worth of paint, a little time, a small sponge roller, and a little patience can do.

Attachments

SPCWarning

Too Light!!

Dang.....too light. That's what I get for being in a hurry to get paint. As I stated before boys and girls, don't buy paint from a store color chart! Dang, Dang, Dang! (Still a nice job tho :grin:) She'll get a darker coat as time allows.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks